Cicada Map Shows States Where Trillions of Bugs Will Emerge

Paco Dennis

SF VIP
In the Midwest these creatures explode onto the scene. The are so noisy sometimes you can barely hear anything else. Anyone else have this 13-17 year cycle happen near them?

BB1l7exj.img

Amap of where two periodical cicada broods have been observed across the eastern U.S. shows the areas in which they are likely to emerge in the next few weeks.

Experts are predicting that the two populations, which have been hibernating underground for over a decade, will appear at the same time, carpeting an area from southern Wisconsin to the Carolinas with as many as a hundred trillion bugs.

Periodical cicada broods develop over a number of years underground before burrowing up and out all at once. They are then active aboveground as adults for a matter of weeks before laying the next generation and dying off.

"It's like an entire alien species living underneath our feet and then some prime number years they come out to say hello," Saad Bhamla, a professor of biotechnology at the Georgia Institute of Technology, told Chicago TV station WFLD. "This year we're going to get two broods that are going to emerge at the same time."

MSN

The are so noisy sometimes you can barely hear anything else. Anyone else have this 13-17 year cycle happen near them?
Several years ago, 3 of us in my truck heading south on 81 in VA. windows up, AC on. I start hearing a noise... It faded in and out, getting louder each time. I turn off the radio and listen, thinking its a belt going bad and squealing, My buddy concurs.
Turn off the AC and no change, eliminates 1 of 3 belts. No warning lights or overheating... Keep rolling on as we are in the middle of nowhere.... and it gets loud enough to wake my brother (Hungover) in the back seat... So to test the belt theory, shift to neutral, coasting and turn off the engine... No change.... roll the widows down and gets even louder....
So now I'm thinking a wheel bearing, GREAT.... still in the middle of nowhere over 100 miles from home. Dont want a wheel bearing to fail at 70 MPH.... So as we come up on the next exit, hit neutral, windows down, engine off, listening to try to figure what wheel is about to lock up or fly away (I mean this thing is now screaming).... IT DONT STOP!!!!! Now we are thinking its was a belt, or water pump failed and the truck sounds like a tee-kettle.... but no steam, smoke or smell... get out and open the hood.
As we stand there on the side of the ramp looking under the hood we realize that the sound is coming from EVERYWHERE....
Damn Bugs....

We get cicadas most years here in Florida, but thankfully, they aren't as numerous or as loud as the massive hatchings that occur elsewhere. They can be loud, though. The last really bad hatching we had was, I think, somewhere around 2021.

Do you know that cicadas are edible? Their taste has been described variably as asparagus, shrimp or peanut butter. I guess that like beauty being in the eye of the beholder, taste is on the tongue of the consumer.....because I can't figure out how they could taste like those different things to different people.

Well, anyone for Cicada-Butter Cookies, Cicada Cocktail or a side of Cicada-paragus? Yeah, me neither.

We get cicadas most years here in Florida, but thankfully, they aren't as numerous or as loud as the massive hatchings that occur elsewhere. They can be loud, though. The last really bad hatching we had was, I think, somewhere around 2021.

Do you know that cicadas are edible? Their taste has been described variably as asparagus, shrimp or peanut butter. I guess that like beauty being in the eye of the beholder, taste is on the tongue of the consumer.....because I can't figure out how they could taste like those different things to different people.

Well, anyone for Cicada-Butter Cookies, Cicada Cocktail or a side of Cicada-paragus? Yeah, me neither.
Um, no. But i do remember that for some species of birds it is party time, with them swooping down and catching cicadas which have filled the air.

The cicadas have arrived here in northern Alabama ! We have SO many more than we usually have, and the noise is horrible and never stops 24/7.
This picture is just a tiny bit of the cicadas that are underneath one tree, and the whole base of the tree looks like that, with more on the tree trunk and on the leaves.
They are everywhere, and we are not even in one of the worst areas for the migration of the extra ones this year, so we are only getting a small amount of what some places must be getting.

We heard the sound before we started seeing all the cicadas, and were trying to figure out what the noise was, because it seems different than the usual cicada noise.
We almost decided that Huntsville had a giant UFO hovering soewhere overhead !

IMG_6497.jpeg

Last edited:
They are supposed to emerge in May when the temp is right. I suspect it will be quite a deal here in the forest. Last time I was in town quite a bit during the evenings. It was nuts!! They were everywhere then. Now the two kinds are emerging together. First time since 1803! :eek:

Every year we have some cicadas. The last large bunch that was in Ohio was around 2021. I must be one of the few that doesn't mind them. I love to listen to them in the evening.

Back