Do you get tried of everything being your responsbility.

I used to. There was a time after my father passed away and my mother (who didn't drive or leave the house) became my responsibility. She was only 68 at the time. It was a tremendous strain for several years, looking after two households, until I decided to move her and my partner to another state and a community where she could be more self-sufficient. I still had ultimate responsibility for her well-being until she passed away in 2021. That was 21 years after my father died. I loved and took care of her, but it was hard to believe after such a long time that I was no longer responsible for someone else's life.

I do realize that those who have children will most likely always be responsible for someone else's life, so this isn't lost on me and you have my admiration.

When we had our house remodeled, my partner wasn't working and was a trooper, meeting with contractors and making decisions. I was actually out of the country when our windows were replaced and he lived with plastic over the window openings. He has contributed big time over the years. When I was forced into retirement at 62, he went back to work so we would have health insurance. So, in that respect we share responsibility in our household and I feel darn lucky every day.

I would love to have a cat but am allergic to cats, they are wonderful creatures. I have 3 grown dogs now but I think they would be loving and kind to anything that is a baby. I have found that dogs are so willing to accept a new puppy in the home but may not be happy to a grown dog.

I have two littles, when I first brought home a new grown rescue she was not welcoming to the new dog. Of course she was still missing the brother she had when she first came home. She was just a tiny puppy then, and they both fell in love with each other, no problems. The new dog, she was fussy and angry, it took a couple of months for them to bond..

The last dog, came from a friend who suddenly died of a heart attack. This dog had been in my home many times. I knew his nature, he was very sweet. The last words of my friend were to take care of Bear. No one else stepped up so he came to me that very night. He knew me and was comfortable here. I had taken care of him when his Dad was out of town.

Well, here he is the very large, scary looking dog. My dogs were not at all hospitable. They showed their displeasure and have still after four years have not been happy with his presence. He has not done anything wrong, he is just big (he does not know this) he just wants to play, they see that as he is aggresive and mean, scary. I don't worry about Bear, I worry the littles will bite him in the nose or ears. How crazy if that? Two little dogs, 14 and 20 lbs taking on a 90lb chow. He never growls or fights back, he just wants to play.

I feel so bad, Bear, the big dog deserves so much more than I can give. He needs people that have the strength to walk him, play with him. I am not the right person but I would not let him go to anyone else that I thought would not keep him safe or provide proper medical care. This just tears me up. There is a point that I may have to rehome him. I am older, I can't afford to be knocked down by an active large dog. Mind you, none of this is his fault. He is a good sweet kind dog that needs things I can't do.

My son did take him for about a month after I had a hip replacement. Their big problem was his barking in the middle of the night. I am not working, if he keeps me up, okay. I at least feel safe, if anyone comes on the property, I know. Most of the time I just call out and he settles.

My husband had an emergency that needed treatment at the hospital and I was suddenly left with all the chores and taking care of him when he came home. He is doing better but I still have to do the work in the house and outside. I do have some work done by contacting companies to help. It does take a strain on me and I understand all the ones who posted. One day at a time is my advice.

We have 3 cats...2 outside ones and one inside. We have 12 acres of land and could run naked around and no one would see us...lol.
The outdoor cats stay around the house (inherited them from our neighbor who they didn't like so chose to always come to our house.)
They go in the garage at night and are let out in the morning. Like having their own apartment. Cats are great and I really urge anyone who likes them to get to a shelter and adopt one. Nothing like having a fur ball on your lap. Check - some of the no kill shelters offer to take the animal back if the owner dies.

I would love to have a puppy, however, my wife has the final word when that will happen. I enjoyed caring for Charlie, he gave me responsibility and a purpose.

Back