I like being single.

I've always thought living single at a young age is something everyone should experience, teaches you independence. I lived alone from 21 till I got married at 28, those were good years for me. Then when I divorced at 48 I fought to keep the kids with me because I knew I could easily be a single parent.

All total I've lived alone around 18 years of my life, so going into my senior years and living alone isn't a worry, I actually prefer it.

I've always thought living single at a young age is something everyone should experience, teaches you independence. I lived alone from 21 till I got married at 28, those were good years for me. Then when I divorced at 48 I fought to keep the kids with me because I knew I could easily be a single parent.

All total I've lived alone around 18 years of my life, so going into my senior years and living alone isn't a worry, I actually prefer it.
I divorced at 27, after about 8 yrs of marriage, and I did get the kids because she left them the day I said I was going to file.

I dated various women all these years, and was in a few pretty solid relationships. One lasted a little over 4yrs. I came close to marrying again a couple times for the very reasons you mentioned earlier; a protective and self sacrificing nature. Ladies like that until they realize there's point when 1) you expect a bit of the same, and 2) the well of self-sacrifice runs dry and needs restocking.

But that's my bad, because I never talked about those limits until we actually reached them. By the time I figured that out I was 40, and decided to never marry again. I loved dating while me and the she knew I was dedicated to bachelorhood.

And then, at the height of the pandemic, I met Michelle, and we talked about those limits. We've been married for 2 1/2 years. I'm super glad I waited all these years. Being single is great, no mistake about it, but marrying the right person is every bit as good.

I think I totally lucked out, though.

My wife was fifteen and I was eighteen when we met. We dated and went steady and were lovers for a couple of years waiting for her to graduate from high school before we married. We were married for fifty-one years before she suddenly died of a heart attack two and one-half years ago.
The change from having an intelligent, articulate, beautiful, loving, sexually enthusiastic companion to being single and alone was probably the greatest shock of my life, but I slowly adjusted and now I rather like living alone. Who knows what the future will bring, but at present I think I might as well live alone with my dog and cat and sometimes visits from my son or daughter. I don't completely rule out the possibility of falling love with another woman, but I am not seeking.

It's not that I've wanted to be but I've been single for most of my life. Some of it has been by choice, some of it has been by circumstances. It's a long story. I'm surprised there aren't more single people on this site.
Hi, @chameleonic, I understand exactly what you're saying. There are plenty of people on SF who are single by choice. Others are single by circumstance; they've been widowed, divorced, or left by their spouse for someone else. Some are happy and content with their circumstances; others are hurt, bitter, and angry.

You're entitled to express yourself; you said nothing wrong and attacked no one. 🙂

I divorced at 27, after about 8 yrs of marriage, and I did get the kids because she left them the day I said I was going to file.

I dated various women all these years, and was in a few pretty solid relationships. One lasted a little over 4yrs. I came close to marrying again a couple times for the very reasons you mentioned earlier; a protective and self sacrificing nature. Ladies like that until they realize there's point when 1) you expect a bit of the same, and 2) the well of self-sacrifice runs dry and needs restocking.

But that's my bad, because I never talked about those limits until we actually reached them. By the time I figured that out I was 40, and decided to never marry again. I loved dating while me and the she knew I was dedicated to bachelorhood.

And then, at the height of the pandemic, I met Michelle, and we talked about those limits. We've been married for 2 1/2 years. I'm super glad I waited all these years. Being single is great, no mistake about it, but marrying the right person is every bit as good.

I think I totally lucked out, though.
Frank I cannot believe it's been 2.5 years since you married . I remember the day you said she touched your Butt...lol

Hi, @chameleonic, I understand exactly what you're saying. There are plenty of people on SF who are single by choice. Others are single by circumstance; they've been widowed, divorced, or left by their spouse for someone else. Some are happy and content with their circumstances; others are hurt, bitter, and angry.

You're entitled to express yourself; you said nothing wrong and attacked no one. 🙂
Thanks for your support, Bella. ❤️

Well I guess by your rules <grin> I am single by circumstance 52 years ago. But have been single by choice ever since. [And no kids] I am completely happy , particularly when I think back about the [possibles] I dodged.

The choices were slim, mostly those with children . There was one however that I should have held on to tightly ! But I did not ....... My bad.

I like being married, my wife is a wonderful lady but when she is stressed, it takes time to adjust back to that wonderful lady of before. I am usually the culprit to upset the equalibrium of our relationship.

I like being single. People have always told me I was "independent". I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Yeah, it was nice having to come home to someone, but it wasn't always so nice. It's also nice to come home, and it's just me. As a single, I can do whatever I want whenever I want. If I want to vacuum the carpet at 3:47 AM, there's nobody all bent out of shape at me for doing that. I don't think I "give up" anything being single. I'm happy as I am. I like being single.
Same here, it's very peaceful and quiet. Plus I don't have to deal with anyone elses nonsense.

Met my wife back in 1953. I was 19 - she was 17. Married in '56 and still married today. 4 kids, 13 grandkids and the great-grands keep coming! It's been a wonderful life and if I was able, I'd love to repeat it.

Now, at our ages, it's wonderful having all of our family around us. We're never short of help, no matter the problem. Fortunately we all live in a 3 state area with the exception of one grandson and wife who live on the west coast. Lot's of family gatherings and more help than we need when it comes to situations that we can't handle.

And to think that we met on a blind date never having met before that time.

I like being single. People have always told me I was "independent". I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Yeah, it was nice having to come home to someone, but it wasn't always so nice. It's also nice to come home, and it's just me. As a single, I can do whatever I want whenever I want. If I want to vacuum the carpet at 3:47 AM, there's nobody all bent out of shape at me for doing that. I don't think I "give up" anything being single. I'm happy as I am. I like being single.
As am I. I have been on my own for over twenty years now.

absolutely.....

I was thrust into living a single life when my husband died 11 years ago, and that was after 50 years of marriage and being together for a few years before that.

Being on my own in these 11 years has been a very interesting and good experience I've discovered.
Making all my own decisions for the first time in my life, starting at age 69, has proved to make me stronger and empowered ... I feel content and well grounded these days.

But @fuzzybuddy ... I can't vacuum at 3 AM - I'm on the 3rd floor of an apartment building - that's a No-No! 🤣

Back