Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Anyone remember these shops?

Some of the hobby shops down here have remote control race tracks in their back yards!! 001.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    As a young boy, one of my favorite places to go was a Hobby Shop. There was one on King St., in my hometown, that was a part of ones home and if they were home, they were open. I would finish my paper route and quite often visit their shop before I went home. I was in to building balsa wood airplane models. The shop I visited looked almost like the one I've posted.
    I remember those from my childhood days also. I have family in Turkey, so we used to fly over multiple time every year. Our hometown village was rather small, but still well-known, since it's one of the locations where the famous battle of Gallipoli was fought.

Anyways, it had those kind of stores all over town with various hobby-related merchandise. My favorites where always the little miniature soldiers made of plastic. Those stores weren't really organized well. I guess the turkish ones just threw any- and everything in there they could find. I must have had thousands of many different eras and spent days trying to set them up in my room just to have someone open the door and ravage a whole battalion

Loved hobby stores!

slot car track.jpgWe had a fantastic slot car race track at our hobby shop back in the 60's. They even had a track that resembled Indianapolis Speedway that ran elevated above everything else for the unlimited hobbyist.

The town I grew up in, Batavia NY had Adam Miller Toys and Bikes. I should say HAS, they are still there. The closest we had to a hobby shop.
    Here in Rochester we have Dan's Crafts and things witch is the ultimate hobby shop. The attached pictures are from Adam Millers

2_history_history2.jpg 6_history_history4.jpg
    I am trying to find myself. Have you seen me anywhere?

The photo in the original post looks just like the little hobby shop in my home town when I was a kid. It was conveniently located right outside the gate of the school. I'd love to walk in there again. An old guy ran it. Most of the kits were wood then, and I built a bunch. I got an Xacto knife set for Christmas when I was 12, and the first thing I did was slice open the base of my hand. I still have the scar.

I still build plastic kits. Here are a few.

models.jpg

I like doing the fiddly bits.

Don

Grampa Don. I used single razor blades building my models. I still have the scar where I almost cut the tip of my finger off. Being a kid can sometimes be dangerous.
    What do you call a Native-American girl who plays the accordion? A Polka-Hantas.

Grandpa, I especially like your Mustang. Had a '67 fastback once. Metallic lime green. Cute car.

NancyNGA -- The Mustang is a replica of the real one I bought new in '66 when I got out of the Navy. It broke my heart to trade it in, but we were expecting our second son and it wasn't really a great family car.

Pappy -- I suspect my folks thought the Xacto set would be safer than the razor blades I had been using. They didn't count on my ineptitude. I did learn not to pull the blade toward myself when carving a block of balsa.

Don

I can still remember the first jet model I built. The F-86 Sabre jet with swept wing. Early fifties. Mostly balsa.
    What do you call a Native-American girl who plays the accordion? A Polka-Hantas.

Those early kits were pretty simple, just a few blocks and sheets of balsa and an instruction sheet. If you were lucky, there might be a couple plastic parts, like wheels. The Guillows stick and tissue kits are still being made.

I never mastered the art of making a plane that flew well. And, they didn't survive a hard bounce worth a darn. The big guys and adults would fly their U-control planes on the Jr. High field, and I'd go over and watch. Some of them were amazing. I built one gas powered plane. It didn't even make one circle before doing a loop and self destructing.

Real hobby shops are disappearing fast. I'm on a modeling forum, and I frequently see posts that so-and-so shop is closing. The internet is killing them, and kids don't seem to make stuff much anymore. It's mostly old guys like me who keep them going. Prices may be a factor. A Comet kit once cost 25 cents, and a tube of glue a dime. You'd pay about $30 for a similar Guillows kit now.

Craft stores seem to be doing well, and some of them sell a few plastic kits. But the selection is pretty poor. And, if you are looking for advice or help, forget it.

Don

I tried to build one once.

I remember there was a shop like that in downtown Clearwater that where you could buy one of those basic kites for 10 cents.

A good friend of mine currently owns a HUGE hobby shop in town. Model kits, trains (every gauge),, planes, ships etc. and now

is carrying drones (with cameras). I can't think of one thing that one wants that he doesn't have. I love to watch the trains run
    around in his front store window.
    Sliding down the razor blade of life.

I had a bit of a shock the other day. For some reason I Googled "HO Scale Craftsman Kits", thinking I would see the usual $50 sets.

Boy, was I wrong.

This is part of a shipyard diorama that retails for $320 (if it's still in stock ... seems these types of kits sell out quickly).

shipyard 1.jpg
    My Blog - SifuPhil.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.