Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest Phone Scam

I get multiple scam calls every week, probably because I pick up (I can't see caller id). One actually called me by a name I haven't had for over 40 years.

I am embarrassed that I actually fell for one (I thought I was more savvy about scam calls) I got a call from the electric company that they were shutting my service for non-payment. If I didn't pay right then, I would have to come to the office and also have to pay a $175 reconnection fee. This was in the middle of a cold snap, I had no way of getting to the office, so I stupidly gave a credit card number. Fortunately I got my head together in a few minutes and called the electric company....there was no problem with my account. I immediately called the credit card company and they closed the account. There was a $312 charge already there but thank goodness I was not held responsible. I still can't believe I fell for that.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    Got a new one today. (I know this is an old thread, but I hate to start a new one just for one entry)

Girl calls saying she's from Medicare, and her purpose is to verify the data in their database. This makes no sense to me, but has me curious, so I play along at first.

1st Question: Is this your correct address? (she states my correct address)

"Yes" (anyone can find that from a phone number)

2nd Question:
    "Is this your correct age and were you born in...?" (she states my age and correct birth year)

"Yes" (you can guess that from Intellius)

3rd Question:
    "What is your birthday?"

Hmm.... I said, "I don't like to give out information like that over the phone."

She says, "Well, we'll just keep calling back until you give us the information."

I hung up.

I'd love to hear what her other questions would have been, but couldn't get past the birthday, apparently. If they call again I'll try asking if we can skip that question and go back to it later.
    Careful here..I have heard that some are recording the "yes" to use elsewhere!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
    Careful here..I have heard that some are recording the "yes" to use elsewhere!!!!
    I've seen that on the evening news. You say "yes" and they record that to come back at you later and say you agreed to something.
    Some also may ask ... can you hear me? .... hang up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    I've seen that on the evening news. You say "yes" and they record that to come back at you later and say you agreed to something.
    Some also may ask ... can you hear me? .... hang up!
    Exactly!
    You should not be answering any questions. Doesn't matter if they could have gotten the information somewhere else, you just verified it! Your address, age, anything, it doesn't have to be a phone scam. It could be burglars looking for an old person as an easy mark. They tell you not to talk to the people at all, let it go to your answering machine. If it's a friend they will leave a message. Why would you want to argue or play games with a stranger on your phone? At the very least when you answer your phone, the person/machine calling now knows it's a good phone number. This is why you still have people being scammed, stop thinking you are smarter than the scammers.

More scammer information ..
    http://lifehacker.com/phone-calls-fr...cam-1793107601 :
    from the link ...
    In addition to 473, some other common area codes scammers use.
    242 — Bahamas
    241 — Bermuda
    784 — St. Vincent and Grenadines
    246 — Barbados
    809, 829, and 849 — Dominican Republic
    264 — Anguilla
    649 — Turks and Caicos
    868 — Trinidad and Tobago
    268 — Antigua
    664 — Montserrat

Good for you! I had something pop up on my Mac about a virus. It gave a number to call which I did mostly because I was curious. As soon as I heard the instructions....allow him to remotely access my computer...I said no thanks.

G/DAY MATE: IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER LATER

For those still using a landline (and I'm still in that group for now), I'll pass along the name of free service that has helped me to eliminate this type of scam call. Most scammers are using a computer to dial your phone. There is a free service offered (only in the US as far as I know) where if you have phone service over the internet (meaning that your cable provider provides the phone signal), those calls can be blocked. I read about it last year, set it up through my cable provider (Comcast/Xfinity) in less than ten minutes. Now when a computer-dialed phone calls my number, this service detects it automatically. The phone rings once and hangs up. No more having to block specific numbers or listen to the phone ring four times before my machine picks up. Other calls from family or local vendors/government still come through as before, as long as a person on the other end is manually dialing. Worth checking out. It's free and easy to set up. No long and involved registration process either. Service is through http://www.nomorobo.com.
    Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present - Jim Rohn

Caller ID is your friend, if you don't recognize the number don't answer it.

You can give his ears a treatment if you blow aloud whistle into the phone.

I'm pretty cynical and tend to believe that everything is a scam until proven otherwise, however, I hate to admit it, but I actually got suckered into one a while back.

It was one of those quizzes where you answer a set of questions and they tell you which Game of Thrones character you are most like.

It seemed like a pretty harmless fun thing at the time, ( I came out as Cersei by the way ) but then later I saw a warning that scammers were using your answers to profile you.

It's hard to convince me anymore that anyone that approaches you is doing it in good faith. I've lost trust ... all the gimmicks and ways to get you just keep on multiplying.

Beware the MICROSOFT scam has just resurfaced ,again ...I had two calls from them in the last week....

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Just never give out personal information to anyone who calls you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.