Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Latest Phone Scam

What I find annoying is if I answer and instead of immediately identifying themselves the person asks "How are you today?" Really....what difference does that make? If I have a list of problems are they going to care? Um, no.

I realize these people have to earn a living, but

I was getting calls from scammers who had the same area code and first three digits as my phone number. I refuse to answer unidentified calls, so I don't know what kind of scam they were trying to pull. I checked and found out there's a group of thieves using phone numbers close to yours so you'll answer, thinking it might be someone you know.

I said 'I was getting calls' because they seem to have stopped. I haven't heard from them in at least three weeks.

My outgoing message says, 'If I don't know who you are, I won't talk to you.'

I got that computer support call about four months ago. The caller said she was HP Support, and they'd received numerous error alerts from my computer. She had me going for a while because I had just contacted HP Support a few days before. She gave me contact names and their 800-numbers and everything, and I jotted them all down. When she transferred me to a "support technician" and he requested I allow remote access to my computer, I knew it was a scam. I told him to thank "Debbie" with the east Indian accent for the names and phone numbers so that I could forward them to the cyber crime unit of my local FBI office. He said, "I don't give a shit what you do" and hung up.

They were relentless! I got dozens...DOZENS more calls from them, and the first 7 were from the same number, which, of course, I reported. Every call, I just kept telling them they'd called me before, and thanks for the new "name" and number to add to the report. The calls gradually petered-out and finally stopped about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    Since I'm nearing the time where I apply for Medicare, my snail mailbox is full of spam from health insurance companies wanting to sell me advantage plans. My phone has been ringing off the hook too, and I haven't been picking up at all.

Well today, the caller ID said Walmart. I thought that was weird since I shop there a lot, maybe they had recall info of something I bought, problem with my check or something, so I answered. Some joker on the other end said our phone interview would be recorded for quality and started with a Medicare spiel....I hung up the phone immediately, these scammer/spammers are very annoying, they start at 9AM until PM sometimes.
    They don't stop !! I still get them at age 73!! AARP and Medigap Insurance..More now that open enrollment nears..
    As others have said, I don't answer unknown numbers..

Quote Originally Posted by Kadee46 View Post
    We have had heaps from the ones claiming to be from Microsoft .. This one is new to us ..and the y sound like the same people each time they phone ( Indian accent ) hubby gives them a mouth full prior to hanging up but it never appears to deter them
    You should not converse with them. Just hang up. Just from talking to you they can get information. For instance one male and one female answer the phone. They know that there are two people living there. Dog barking in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
    They don't stop !! I still get them at age 73!! AARP and Medigap Insurance..More now that open enrollment nears..
    As others have said, I don't answer unknown numbers..
    That is the most effective way. On my cell phone I would immediately block that unknown number.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jane View Post
    I was getting calls from scammers who had the same area code and first three digits as my phone number. I refuse to answer unidentified calls, so I don't know what kind of scam they were trying to pull. I checked and found out there's a group of thieves using phone numbers close to yours so you'll answer, thinking it might be someone you know.

I said 'I was getting calls' because they seem to have stopped. I haven't heard from them in at least three weeks.

My outgoing message says, 'If I don't know who you are, I won't talk to you.'
    I was getting those too. They called every day and each day would be a different number so it didn't help to block the numbers because they didn't use it twice. The last one I got had a name with it but I didn't know the person so I didn't answer. It could have been a "wrong number" but since the other calls had stopped I couldn't help but be suspicious. Either way I still didn't answer and I'm not going to if they try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by AprilSun View Post
    I was getting those too. They called every day and each day would be a different number so it didn't help to block the numbers because they didn't use it twice. The last one I got had a name with it but I didn't know the person so I didn't answer. It could have been a "wrong number" but since the other calls had stopped I couldn't help but be suspicious. Either way I still didn't answer and I'm not going to if they try it again.
    If they don't leave a voicemail then it is not important..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
    If they don't leave a voicemail then it is not important..
    Exactly, Ken. And those scam guys never leave a voicemail...not the ones that plagued me for a while, anyway.

The scammers who claim to be from the tax office DO leave messages on people’s message bank and answering machines

I know quite a few people our age who have been scared to death , by the messages left on their Telstra message bank ....telling them to call this number or the police will be there to arrest them for taxation fraud.

I don’t have message bank ...and I rarely answer the home phone beacuse all our friends Call or text us on my mobile

The scammers who claim to be from the tax office DO leave messages on people’s message bank and answering machines

I know quite a few people our age who have been scared to death , by the messages left on their Telstra message bank ....telling them to call this number or the police will be there to arrest them for taxation fraud.

I don’t have message bank ...and I rarely answer the home phone beacuse all our friends Call or text us on my mobile
    Man...who ARE these people?! I mean, besides felons.

I've learned that one of the reasons US authorities can't crack down on these guys is because their government(s) won't cooperate. In some of the places they operate from, scamming isn't even a crime. It's a livelihood.

I've gotten that one also. I came home one day and checked my answering machine and it was someone "claiming" to be from the IRS. They said they were going to arrest me if I didn't pay them. I said, "Go ahead. I'm scared to death". The bad thing is, they couldn't hear me.

I've used this system: I say "I'm a senior and have hearing loss (which is true), and you're going to have to talk slow and speak clearly. " Most of the time they hang up. If the call is legit, then they apologize and start over, going very slowly. Works every time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.