Brandied Cranberries

Brandied Cranberries

I was sure that I posted this recipe a while back but don't find it so here ya go. Cranberries done like this are absolutely, positively the best ever.

3 cups whole fresh cranberries, washed and sorted (a 12-oz pkg)
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    4-5 TBSP brandy

Spread cranberries in a 9x13 baking pan and sprinkle with sugar and brandy. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350F for one hour. Stir well. Ladle into a hot sterilized pint jar and seal. Let cool and refrigerate.

Or...you can wait and pour the brandy in the jar. It all depends on whether you want the brandy flavor or a snootful of brandy. I bake it with the cranberries so that the alcohol will evaporate and there won't be any little kids drunk at dinner.
    Retired. Nowhere to go and plenty of time to get there.

fureverywhere is offline beloved friend who will always be with us in spirit
    Thank you darlin'! For New Years I have to make this. If you wanted to just make it the night before guess you could put it in a bowl and put it in the fridge yes?

This is one of those things that you can make ahead. You can make it tomorrow if you like! Put it in a jar and keep it in the fridge. It's one of the other things I'm going to do over the weekend...make the mashed potatoes and make the brandied cranberries. That'll be two things out of the way that will free up a burner and the oven.

The brandied cranberries will keep a long, long time. Months, even.

Yesterday I saw cranberries in the grocery store...for $1.89 for a 12 oz. bag! Um. No. They're 99 cents at Aldi!

Thanks for the recipe.

I will make a half batch of this using Splenda and a half batch the usual way as soon as I see those 99 cent cranberries at Aldi. I always grab a couple bags and toss them into the freezer, as is no processing. I wash and sort them when I take them out of the freezer.

That's what I do, too, Aunt Bea. And just a helpful hint that I learned after the first time I made these: double the recipe because there could be fights at the dinner table over who gets the last spoonful.

These cranberries will make believers out of haters, guaranteed!

Bumping this up since Thanksgiving is just around the corner. It's my all-time favorite way of making cranberries, and if the cranberries are what's mostly leftover on your table after dinner, you need to try this recipe. It will make a believer of the skeptical!

That sounds fabulous.

I will get a bag at Krogers since I have a digital coupon loaded on my card for $1.00 and it will be cheaper. Don't have an Alid's near so will use my Kroger coupons.

The only thing I seem to change each year is to use less sugar, not because of the taste but because I've been cautioned by my doctor to cut down on sugar (way down!). So far, I'm down to using less than a cup, but it hasn't seemed to affect the taste at all.

It's the time of year to bump this recipe up again. I've already got cranberries and am going to make them this weekend. Going to buy potatoes tomorrow and get those made, too. I spray muffin tins and plop a mound of the finished mashed potatoes in each cup and freeze them. Take out the day before and thaw in the fridge...or nuke them to thaw.

Dang...even Aldi's price for cranberries is up this year. $1.49 for a 12 oz pkg. Still cheaper than everybody else, though.

If you haven't tried cranberries this way, do! They make cranberry haters into cranberry lovers and cranberry lovers into devotees!

Yes! I saved this recipe from last year Georgia and plan to try it.
    Thanks again!

Made it last year and everybody loved it!!

Quote Originally Posted by terry123 View Post
    Made it last year and everybody loved it!!
    Of course they did! I've got a load of them in the oven as we speak. Gotta get 'em done while DSIL is at work because if he smells them, he stands at the door between their place and mine with a spoon in his hand. LOL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.