Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Do you believe in an afterlife? If so what is your beliefs as to what happens when you die?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
    The existence of "life after death" is self-fulfilling. If you believe there is none, for you there won't be one. If you believe there is, for you there will be. And as for the "soul" or "spirit" surviving after our mortal death, it is really simple, too. For example, if you have a smart phone, you know that its data will automatically be backed up "to the cloud" unless you change the settings to stop it. Even if the phone is destroyed, the data is still out there. Our soul/spirit is the sum total of our life experiences and thoughts here on earth. Those we still remember and those we have forgotten. Those memories/thoughts/images/sensations (data) are "backed up to the cloud" by some process as yet unknown, unless you have selected to turn off that process. My personal opinion is that the unknown process is triggered by prayer. So, I will have an after-life, not bodily, but my spirit will live on, and I will be reunited with the love ones that have preceded me in earthly death.
    So you believe that in order to have an afterlife you have to believe that there's one? What if all your loved ones didn't believe? Or your baby died before understanding the concept of an afterlife? Exceptions to the rule, perhaps?

I believe in a Creator and have a spiritual relationship with Him/Her, but man-made religions leaves me cold.
    Whatever comes after this will almost certainly be the fate of us all.
    During life's hardest moments - the ones you don't think you can endure - it's helpful to remember that your record for getting through trying times remains at an impressive 100%.

Hoot n Annie, Have you heard of the Holy Trinity? God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit? I believe that we have a soul. Not a soul that retains all the data of our lives, but is a part of our being given from God that never dies. The Holy Trinity is sent by God to dwell in all who except Christ Jesus into their hearts as Savior. He silently guides us with knowledge of what is right, or what is wrong. But He does not stop us from choosing to do either, not even what is wrong. God has given us the freedom to live as we will, so the Holy Spirit leaves our choices up to us.
    At our physical body's death, our soul returns to God, and of course, the Holy Spirit does also...........

Hoot N Annie (post#119)...This makes it abundantly easy and clear to understand. It's brilliantly explained and meets everyone where they're at. "If you believe there is no life after death, for you there won't be one. If you believe there is, for you there will be". And your phone/cloud/backup analogy is also excellent.

I've always thought about how our brain records our data (memories, thoughts,images,sensations as you said). Which explains dejŠ vu maybe. The brain goes into rewind and then forward at rare times. It's all data backed to "the cloud". Which is an archaic way of looking at it as compared to what's really going on but is certainly a valid way to express it on Man's level of understanding.

I do believe I will be given a new spiritual body in eternal life. I'm intrigued and confused by one sentence, Hoot... "My personal opinion is that the process is triggered by prayer". Hmm, I don't know exactly what you mean. But I do feel prayer is a way to have a deep personal relationship with God through prayerful conversation.
    Elsie, I also believe in the Trinity
    The data of our lives is what will be reviewed by God on Judgement Day. It sounds scary but it's not. Because God will not punish believers for the bad things, but rather reward them for the good things (Christ paid the punishment for the bad things already).

Star Song, babies will have an afterlife. They are too young to have heard or read the Gospel. All children, up to an unknown accountable age will be given an after life. Anyone who has never heard or read the Gospel will be given an afterlife because they never had the chance to choose to believe or not to believe.

The existence of "life after death" is self-fulfilling. If you believe there is none, for you there won't be one. If you believe there is, for you there will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    This makes it abundantly easy and clear to understand. It's brilliantly explained and meets everyone where they're at. "If you believe there is no life after death, for you there won't be one. If you believe there is, for you there will be".
    Let me clarify my reply to Hoot. I believe that if you believe there is NO life after death, for you there won't be a Spiritual life after death. If you believe there IS life after death then for you there will be a Spiritual life. The word "spiritual" is key.

I believe there will be an after-life for all. The ones who are entering into a spiritual life will appear before a different judgement seat though. Their sins will not be judged but rather their good things rewarded. The ones who are spiritually dead will face another judgement seat and judged by a different set of standards. Both seats will be judged by Jesus. That's what the Bible says. Remember, I'm not pushing anyone to change their mind. I'm posting it for biblical clarity. This is my belief. My personal choice to believe the Bible.
    Last edited by Lara; 08-12-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: additional clarity

The existence of "life after death" is self-fulfilling. If you believe there is none, for you there won't be one. If you believe there is, for you there will be. And as for the "soul" or "spirit" surviving after our mortal death, it is really simple, too. For example, if you have a smart phone, you know that its data will automatically be backed up "to the cloud" unless you change the settings to stop it. Even if the phone is destroyed, the data is still out there. Our soul/spirit is the sum total of our life experiences and thoughts here on earth. Those we still remember and those we have forgotten. Those memories/thoughts/images/sensations (data) are "backed up to the cloud" by some process as yet unknown, unless you have selected to turn off that process. My personal opinion is that the unknown process is triggered by prayer. So, I will have an after-life, not bodily, but my spirit will live on, and I will be reunited with the love ones that have preceded me in earthly death.
    Nicely expressed.

I believe in science also. Majored in Biology.
    For myself, Science and God ( our creator ) are synonymous.

As it happens I believe in life after death so apparently I've made the cut.
    During life's hardest moments - the ones you don't think you can endure - it's helpful to remember that your record for getting through trying times remains at an impressive 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    This makes it abundantly easy and clear to understand. It's brilliantly explained and meets everyone where they're at. "If you believe there is no life after death, for you there won't be one. If you believe there is, for you there will be". And your phone/cloud/backup analogy is also excellent.

I've always thought about how our brain records our data (memories, thoughts,images,sensations as you said). Which explains dejŠ vu maybe. The brain goes into rewind and then forward at rare times. It's all data backed to "the cloud". Which is an archaic way of looking at it as compared to what's really going on but is certainly a valid way to express it on Man's level of understanding.

I do believe I will be given a new spiritual body in eternal life. I'm intrigued and confused by one sentence, Hoot... "My personal opinion is that the process is triggered by prayer". Hmm, I don't know exactly what you mean. But I do feel prayer is a way to have a deep personal relationship with God through prayerful conversation.

Elsie, I also believe in the Trinity The data of our lives is what will be reviewed by God on Judgement Day. It sounds scary but it's not. Because God will not punish believers for the bad things, but rather reward them for the good things (Christ paid the punishment for the bad things already).

Star Song, babies will have an afterlife. They are too young to have heard or read the Gospel. All children, up to an unknown accountable age will be given an after life. Anyone who has never heard or read the Gospel will be given an afterlife because they never had the chance to choose to believe or not to believe.
    I'm just expressing my idea that we can't know all the details, at least yet. Does the "backup" occur continuously or in some "batch mode", and what about bad memories that we would just as soon forget? I dunno. But, since we are supposed to pray, I'm suggesting that the act of prayer, no matter how briefly we pray, may be what creates the "data transmission" - it isn't just our words, but God also hears what's in our heart and mind and stores it.

And as for children and babies - the default position on your phone is for the backup to occur, and only stops when you tell it to stop. Same with ourselves. Infants and children are not old enough to have changed the "factory settings".

And exactly how do you know that, Hoot N Annie? What if the exact opposite is true? What if (as I believe) it's all nonsense? We could just as well say, "For those who believe in the Tooth Fairy, and click their heels together
    three times, she will be waiting for them after they die. But only if they truly believe in her."

Your analogy with The Cloud is hilarious. So maybe it turns out that Steve Jobs was God?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    And exactly how do you know that, Hoot N Annie? What if the exact opposite is true? What if (as I believe) it's all nonsense? We could just as well say, "For those who believe in the Tooth Fairy, and click their heels together
    three times, she will be waiting for them after they die. But only if they truly believe in her."

Your analogy with The Cloud is hilarious. So maybe it turns out that Steve Jobs was God?
    You and I must be different religions, Sunny. I never could believe in Apple products and therefore expect Bill Gates will be in charge...

"....For those who believe in the Tooth Fairy, and click their heels together
    three times, she will be waiting for them after they die. But only if they truly believe in her...."
    Now that would really be funny if I clicked my heels together now while still alive and some tooth fairy dentist came and repaired my teeth.

StarSong, let's hope it isn't Mark Zuckerberg!

LOL Sunny!

I am not religious. I do believe in a Creator, living things and the Universe is simply too complex to have ''just happened''. BUT, I think they we are born from nothing and end up in nothing. I don't believe in the bible, either, it was written by men, but even the bible says "dust you are and dust you will become'' (something of the sort). So, why do ''religious people'' ignore the bible and believe in a hereafter? As to the soul, has anyone ever seen a soul or has any soul ever come back to tell you about that hereafter? I try to be a good person only because it makes me feel good, not because I will roast in hell or fly about with wings in heaven when I die.

"....For those who believe in the Tooth Fairy, and click their heels together
    three times, she will be waiting for them after they die. But only if they truly believe in her...."
    Now that would really be funny if I clicked my heels together now while still alive and some tooth fairy dentist came and repaired my teeth.
    Elsie, if she charged less than my current dentist, I'd become a believer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

The thread is about what we believe, and I have no desire to convince you I am right. This topic comes up a lot on these sites, and I have noticed one glaring fact - non-believers seem to be driven to try to humiliate/make fun of believers with comments about tooth fairies and Santa Claus and Sky daddy (Steve Jobs was a new one), while believers make no such attempt to belittle non-believers, and are typically respectful. I wonder why that is....

So many questions for Jesus to answer upon his return, and the list keeps growing. Don...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.