Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Clouds and Skies Photos

That's beautiful Rainee and the reflection makes it extra nice!

Really fantastic set! Very artistic.

Tony
    My wife & I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    Here are some pics I took of skies and clouds. Please share any you may have on this thread.

Really fantastic set. Very artistic!
    My wife & I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by dbeyat45 View Post
    I wonder how climate models handle this:

Attachment 2378
    Great patterns.Very nice!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Jillaroo View Post

Sunset At Coramba

Clouds at Coramba
    Beautiful compositions and color!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    How about a "moon" shot? Over the lake....
    Superb work!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    Interesting rainbow fire clouds, more pics here. http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/05/fire-rainbows-rare-cloud-phenomenon.html

“Fire Rainbows” are neither fire, nor rainbows, but are so called because of their brilliant pastel colors and flame like appearance. Technically they are known as circumhorizontal arc - an ice halo formed by hexagonal, plate-shaped ice crystals in high level cirrus clouds. The halo is so large that the arc appears parallel to the horizon, hence the name.

Brightly colored circumhorizontal arc occur mostly during the summer and between particular latitudes. When the sun is very high in the sky, sunlight entering flat, hexagon shaped ice crystals gets split into individual colors just like in a prism.

The conditions required to form a “fire rainbow” is very precise – the sun has to be at an elevation of 58° or greater, there must be high altitude cirrus clouds with plate-shaped ice crystals, and sunlight has to enter the ice crystals at a specific angle. This is why circumhorizontal arc is such a rare phenomenon.

A colourful circumhorizon arc spans the sky near Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, in 2003.

Circumhorizontal arc seen in Spokane Washington State, in June 3, 2006 when the sun was 64° high

Excellent capture!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    Very pretty image!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Rainee View Post
    Sunset over Sawtell Nth NSW
    Attachment 36939
    Wow! Fantastic colors!

Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.