Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Retired? Why?

I'm jealous. There, I said it. Flat out jealous.

I love my work but I'm SO ready to not be ruled by the clock, and schedules, and what day of the week it is, what time it is, how much longer till the w/e. And even then, I'm scrambling to get as much personal stuff done as I can before it's Monday again and I have to go back to work and watch the clock and my time isn't my own.

My dysfunctional marriage, a husband who was a bum and a parasite and didn't work over half our marriage, my low income freelance jobs just to make ends meet and put a roof over our heads and food on the table for a family of 7, all contributed to a wretched financial situation that has impacted me now as a senior. My ex demanded to handle all the finances and I thought it was the least he could do since he wasn't working, and I believed that he was actually managing things, till we separated and I found out he hadn't paid taxes in forever, had drained all the savings, maxed out the credit cards, and left a mountain of debt ..... financial ruin that I'm STILL working my way out of.

Yeah, stupid. I know it was stupid. Too damn trusting for my own good. Too loyal. Too afraid of him for too damn long to get away.

So, yeah. I'm gonna be working till I die, probably.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni View Post
    I'm jealous. There, I said it. Flat out jealous.

I love my work but I'm SO ready to not be ruled by the clock, and schedules, and what day of the week it is, what time it is, how much longer till the w/e. And even then, I'm scrambling to get as much personal stuff done as I can before it's Monday again and I have to go back to work and watch the clock and my time isn't my own.

My dysfunctional marriage, a husband who was a bum and a parasite and didn't work over half our marriage, my low income freelance jobs just to make ends meet and put a roof over our heads and food on the table for a family of 7, all contributed to a wretched financial situation that has impacted me now as a senior. My ex demanded to handle all the finances and I thought it was the least he could do since he wasn't working, and I believed that he was actually managing things, till we separated and I found out he hadn't paid taxes in forever, had drained all the savings, maxed out the credit cards, and left a mountain of debt ..... financial ruin that I'm STILL working my way out of.

Yeah, stupid. I know it was stupid. Too damn trusting for my own good. Too loyal. Too afraid of him for too damn long to get away.

So, yeah. I'm gonna be working till I die, probably.
    How sad Ronni. Unfortunately you made the mistake too many women do, whether their husbands are good or not....they let the man handle all the finances. I'm sorry that you're now paying the price for that mistake and likely won't be able to retire. Best of luck to you in trying to get out of this situation.

After 46 years working various jobs in various fields, including a family business, I retired, mainly to care for my aging parents who, among other things, couldn't drive safely any more. I thought caring for them would be less stressful & easier than working. Boy, was I wrong! My dad was OK, but my mom became more & more difficult as she aged...and she wasn't so nice when she was young.

I retired becuse I deserved it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.