Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Do You Know Your BMI?

'Stuck inside the Midwest with the LA blues again'

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    Today was Dead lift day and I got another wild hair and decided to test my max on that.

I got 120 KG which is 264 lbs. About 5 years ago I was able to do a little over 300. So I'm going down hill.

Back in High School I did 335, so I've lost about 20% of my overall strength in spite of working out regularly.

That 335 was good for second place in our PE class. But I was way out of first place. That went to this big ole farm boy who did 405.

And he didn't even have weights at home like I did. He got that way from totin 100 lbs sacks of farm stuff after school.

I saw him at our 50 year reunion and he still looked like he could whoop my butt. Not that that would ever be an issue. He was one of the nicest Dudes you'd ever want to meet.
    Hey you stole my Dylan song!!! lol although I had to do a bit of adjustment.

Today was Dead lift day and I got another wild hair and decided to test my max on that.Have you been tested for sanity?

I think I’m listed as obese
    Prolly am at 30.1 (5' 10"..215 lb)
    Don’t care what a list says I am
    Do care what I think
    I could lose 10-15 lbs
    But
    For pushing 70, I work all day, all day
    Doing things like cutting, chopping wood for winter
    Split10 cords last month

I work circles around the skinny kids down the path
    Lists…pffft
    (guess my real care is in the mobility dept)
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

That is remarkable stuff. You can always buy a log splitter but chopping wood is so satisfying especially when one whack does the trick.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaniceM View Post
    Hey you stole my Dylan song!!!
    Guilty as charged.
    "Power to the people, stick it to the man."

Log splitting has to be the most satisfying pastime I have ever engaged in

It's like bowling. Humans just love to see stuff come apart.

When I had a home and a fireplace, there would be a fire every morning.

There is something about a fire that promotes inner peace. As a kid we always had a bonfire going somewhere. Just sit around it and talk.

My grandson came for a visit. He had never been at an outdoor fireside chat before.

He was fascinated. When he got home he told his mother all about it.

They gave him a fire pit for Christmas. Now he goes outside, and reads a book beside the fire.

I believe it's the cave man in us. Keeping the wild animals away.

At Christmas time, our local television has a 24/7 video of a log fire burning.

Late in the evening before bed time I just turn on the television and relax to the sound of the crackling fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Log splitting has to be the most satisfying pastime I have ever engaged in.
    If you like splitting logs, you would really like my place. We have an electric furnace, and the first year we lived here, the Winter heating bills were huge, so I bought an outdoor wood furnace. With 40 acres of heavy hardwood forest, I have no shortage of wood. The first year, I chainsawed a bunch of dead trees, and hand split them...but, I was spending a huge amount of time, almost daily, splitting enough wood to feed the furnace for just a day or two. So, I bought a 26 ton log splitter, and now, in a days time, I can split enough wood to last a month. I probably go through about 8 cords of oak every year, and the exercise of cutting/splitting and handling that much wood, multiple times, from the forest to the furnace, is some serious fitness workouts. Plus, it saves us a bunch every year. We had a wood fireplace in our house in the city, but using it was a mess...especially emptying the ashes, without getting them all over the carpet, etc. With this rig, all the dirt stays outdoors, and we stay toasty warm for a fraction of what the house furnace costs to run.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I'm about the same height, and yes, every single ounce you put on is noticeable. And you're not allowed very many calories, either; so when I splurge I have to go on the lettuce leaf diet for 3 days to make up for it -- no fun at all.
    I like the way women eat. Not all, but a lot of them I've known. When they are out with friends they'll act all dainty and demure and order a salad. Then when they are home by themselves later that night they'll chow down on a whole tray full of double fudge brownies.
    "Power to the people, stick it to the man."

Mine is 22.0 which is good but I don't feel BMI is accurate. I need to do more exercise, Ive gotten lazy. I always find a good excuse for not walking...it's too hot, it's boring etc.

I think exercise is more important than a few extra pounds. I have no trouble maintaining my weight because I do eat healthy...just lack motivation for getting moving.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.