Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

What kinds of things have you found to do that are fulfilling since you retired?

A lot of great suggestions that are from a personal level. Only you know what your finances will allow you to do. Next would be your health. Age being the final leg of what you will actually end up being able to do as the years roll by. Planning for 30 or more years in retirement does take into account the 3 things I mentioned.

As I mentioned there are a lot of really great suggestions, If it were me I'd sort thru them as a way to form a long term plan.

I never had trouble figuring out what to do on the weekends when I was working. They were always too short for me!

Now that I'm retired, I do a lot of those same things. Honestly, this is my 8th year of retirement and I haven't been bored yet. Also I have not felt like a bum for enjoying some well earned leisure in this last part of life, after half a century of working so very, very hard when I was younger. It's nice to be able to decide what I want to do with my time now. I go to the gym, play video games, listen to podcasts, spend time with loved ones, read interesting articles, manage my finances, and more. I'm constantly finding new activities that I always wanted to try and new interests to explore, and now I can. Today I sent my first text message on my phone, and so did my boyfriend so we have something new to share each day. We'll never fall into a rut because we are both adventuresome and like to try new things (even though we don't care to travel).

I hope you can figure out what you want to do in retirement. Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
    I never had trouble figuring out what to do on the weekends when I was working. They were always too short for me!

Now that I'm retired, I do a lot of those same things. Honestly, this is my 8th year of retirement and I haven't been bored yet. Also I have not felt like a bum for enjoying some well earned leisure in this last part of life, after half a century of working so very, very hard when I was younger. It's nice to be able to decide what I want to do with my time now. I go to the gym, play video games, listen to podcasts, spend time with loved ones, read interesting articles, manage my finances, and more. I'm constantly finding new activities that I always wanted to try and new interests to explore, and now I can. Today I sent my first text message on my phone, and so did my boyfriend so we have something new to share each day. We'll never fall into a rut because we are both adventuresome and like to try new things (even though we don't care to travel).

I hope you can figure out what you want to do in retirement. Lots of good suggestions in this thread.
    Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Thanks for your comment.

Thank you everyone for your comments on this subject.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched
    - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

Just outside of Indianapolis in the suburbs but I wanna move to Florida!
    I cocoon in the winter. I watch British Murder mysteries on Netflix and PBS. I also read ghost stories and mysteries from the library. In the summer I fight weeds and bugs in my lawn, and cheerfully whittle down my to do list. When nobodies home, I play my drums to rock and roll year round. So far I'm getting happier everyday.

Have a lifelong interest in travel but age and health issues now limit me to the arm chair variety (reading and travel documentary type TV could hold my interest for hours) but browsing my travel journals bring back wonderful memories. I have done genealogy research on my family for past 30 yrs. and will continue that as long as my brain holds up. DNA testing has confirmed many family connections and opened door to new lines. I only wish I understood more of that process. I also do miniature stitching for collector's doll houses. Miniature oriental rugs my favorites. I have strong hermit genes so am not plagued with loneliness or boredom. Blessing or curse? I honestly don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthanne View Post
    I am retired but not by choice. Any how I am trying to find ways to motivate myself to do things. I am not into tough love so don't try that on me please. lol. I am trying to take small steps into making my life more meaningful. Well, please tell me what you do to make your retirement life more meaningful to you. I appreciate hearing what you do most of all.

For myself, the expression ... Stop and Smell the Roses ... is my way to cope and live these days. Not having a schedule to follow, and doing things at my own (slow) pace works well. I don't feel like I need to find something new to occupy my time at all.
    I'm learning to enjoy and reflect on the past ... it keeps me sane and happy.

Just keep the brain and body active.... I do all my own yard work, mowing, cutting trees and bushes, etc.
    And I feel playing games is wonderful brain exercise.

Since retiring in '82, my most important activities have been managing my investment portfolio and taking adventurous kayak trips.
    Just today I was deeply involved in updating my financial records, but the kayaking is no more. The age thing, you know.

I always knew what I would do when I retired; write a book, sew doll clothes, paint a master piece. Now the time has come and I don't want to do any of that stuff. I feel I am drifting through time with no destination.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingmore View Post
    I always knew what I would do when I retired; write a book, sew doll clothes, paint a master piece. Now the time has come and I don't want to do any of that stuff. I feel I am drifting through time with no destination.
    I spent so much time worrying about what I would do with myself after I retired.. Now that I have retired I finally found the answer... "Whatever the heck I want to".... I have no desire to find a meaningful existence... whatever that means. I am very happy being a bum and being at peace.. Of course, I've never really needed to be around a lot of people.. and can take or leave socializing..

I find simple things like not getting up at 4 30 am in the mourning great and to do things that I want to do and in my time.Love playing the Guitar walking next door dog

We retired in our mid 60's had our home with a large garden. We enjoyed pottering around, my husband did beautiful
    woodwork and I volunteered at our local library, we both liked to cook, and we lucky to be able to do some travelling.
    Now that I am alone, living in a senior residence, I take part in some of the events here, belong to the drama club,
    the supper club and the library.
    Yes, there are times when I am lonely, would like to see more of my family; but they lead busy lives and we are in touch
    several times a week either by phone or Facebook. I try not to dwell on being lonely; I am a reader, spend time on the computer and watch TV in the evenings, seldom in the daytime.
    All in all I am content with my life.

But are you happy (or content) drifting through time?
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul - Samuel Ullman

A friend of mine just jumps on a bus and let's it take wherever. He always finds destinations that are new. Like new malls and settings. I'm going to try it. Tickets are reasonable and no hassle of driving.

Quote Originally Posted by HipGnosis View Post
    But are you happy (or content) drifting through time?
    I have some new hobbies so life is rewarding now. My garden is in bloom and I am taking a psychology course on the internet that has proven to be very interesting.

I have some new hobbies so life is rewarding now. My garden is in bloom and I am taking a psychology course on the internet that has proven to be very interesting.
    COOL!
    Can you share a link to that course?
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul - Samuel Ullman

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.