Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Mules anyone?

Okay NancyNGA here is a true story. When I was a kid on the ranch we had one jack and two jennies. The jack was a big ol boy and had a touch of mean in him. One afternoon I was out checking on animals when I rounded the garage to see the jack with the soft part of his nose against the electric fence wire. We had the electric fence to keep the animals from the hay. He had his front feet crossed and was sound asleep..I thought maybe the charger for the fence wasnt working but I could hear it ticking in the garage. mmmm.. Odd..So I touched the wire......bad move. It shocked the living crap out of me..Pissed me off so bad I grabbed a 2x4 and smacked that mule in the head. He shook his head and looked at me like 'what the heck you wake me up for'.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deucemoi View Post
    Okay NancyNGA here is a true story. When I was a kid on the ranch we had one jack and two jennies. The jack was a big ol boy and had a touch of mean in him. One afternoon I was out checking on animals when I rounded the garage to see the jack with the soft part of his nose against the electric fence wire. We had the electric fence to keep the animals from the hay. He had his front feet crossed and was sound asleep..I thought maybe the charger for the fence wasnt working but I could hear it ticking in the garage. mmmm.. Odd..So I touched the wire......bad move. It shocked the living crap out of me..Pissed me off so bad I grabbed a 2x4 and smacked that mule in the head. He shook his head and looked at me like 'what the heck you wake me up for'.....
    Thanks for the story, Duecemoi. It is strange how that mule could stand his nose on the fence. I've touched our fence a few times, but never on purpose. The worst was hitting it with the top of my head. One minute I was standing up, next minute I was on the ground. Never knew what hit me. Had to figured it out later.

Thanks for the video kaufen. Have you ever been? I visited the canyon twice, but didn't have time in the schedule for the mule ride. Fantastic site, that canyon, almost like you're in another world.

Conversation With A Mule - Andy Griffith, 1958

Plowing at Gee's Bend, Wilcox County, Alabama. 1937 Feb. Library of Congress

I want to be a ceiling fan. You can see the whirled without leaving the house.

Just love those ears, Bea.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    Just love those ears, Bea.
    I wish I knew what they were looking at.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Actually this looks like a Donkey or a Burro, but I still think it's funny.

79547_pack_mule.jpg
    "Power to the people, stick it to the man."

The Quill and the Mule - by Rick Bragg

Photo by Phil Mullen

From the article:

"Scholars have long debated the defining element of great Southern literature. Is it a sense of place? Lost causes? A struggle to transcend the boundries of class and race? No. ... After some four decades of cataloging, Prof. Jerry Leath Mills, of UNC Chapel Hill concluded that the true test is: "Is there a dead mule in it?

Southern writers were killing mules even before William Faulkner drowned a perfectly good team in the Yoknapatawpha River in As I Lay Dying in 1930.

The carnage has been written about in The Southern Literary Journal and debated at academic conferences. Mules have perished in books, plays, and stories. They have been worked to death, bludgeoned, asphyxiated (by accident and on purpose), run over, shot (by accident and on purpose), bitten by rabid dogs, stabbed, starved, frozen, herded into the barren plain to perish of thirst, driven mad by erroneously administered castor oil (the less said about this the better), led out to be murdered on the blind curve of a train track, and, in Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms, hung from a chandelier.

They have been killed by Larry McMurtry, Richard Wright, Reynolds Price, Larry Brown, Robert Morgan, Jack Farris, Kaye Gibbons, Clyde Edgerton... everybody who is anybody. The most inventive is Cormac McCarthy, who had one beheaded by an unbalanced opera singer. "

William Faulkner at least knew mules. With the help of his brother, John, he bred them and grew corn to feed them on his 320-acre farm about 17 miles northeast of Oxford, Mississippi. J.R. Cofield, Faulkner's personal photographer, recalls, “Bill saw Phil Mullen’s closeup picture of a Mississippi mule in my studio one day — I had attached to the print a clipping of his writings in praise of the lowly mule. Only time I ever saw Bill autograph something without being asked.”

Father and mother he does not resemble, sons and daughters he will never have;
    vindictive and patient (it is a known fact that he will labor ten years willingly
    and patiently for you, for the privilege of kicking you once).

Faulkner at his barn.

Mule Train to Supai, Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon South Rim to Phantom Ranch

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.