Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Working out after retirement

I watch TV while on my treadmill. It's incredibly boring to use the treadmill without something else to occupy my mind. I know some who read while using the treadmill, but I've never mastered that skill.

I try to get to the gym 2 or 3 times a week for around an hour each time.
    Half hour between the treadmill, elliptical, and bike, then half hour on weight machines.

Weather permitting I'd rather go out for a 4 or 5 mile walk.
    At 70 I'm seeing close friends degenerate, gaining weight and being less and less active.
    That loss of activity in my friends has lead to even more loss of activity in them.

They see "issues" as a reason to slow down even more.
    I see "issues" as a reason step "something" up to get past the "issue" and get back to normal.

Today, I tilled the garden, then spread two tractor buckets of creek rock onto my gravel driveway, and raked it all smooth...to cover the Winter wear and tear. It was pushing 80 degrees, so I sweated off a couple pounds of Winter flab.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I watch TV while on my treadmill. It's incredibly boring to use the treadmill without something else to occupy my mind. I know some who read while using the treadmill, but I've never mastered that skill.
    I do the same. My treadmill, and also a stationary bike stay parked in front of the TV to make sure that they get used everyday.

I'm 66 and never really been a fitness freak until recently. I walk my dogs about an hour and a half every day. I was a member of a local gym until recently and went three or four times a week, did pedalling, treadmill and rowing mostly. We then bought an exercise bike for home and let the gym membership lapse, but frankly that was a bad idea. Motivating oneself at home to get on the thing is hard!

I had a flu bug or something similar about six weeks ago and was in bed for three days and more or less inactive for about a week. I was really alarmed at how quickly I became unfit after just those few days not keeping to my routine. I think it is harder to stay fit and keep fit when you are older and of course, being realistic that is only going to get worse. I do feel that it is worth making the effort if one can though. I feel so much better after an hour at the gym - really boots the dopamine levels!

I changed the name of our John to Jim..Now I can tell everyone that every morning I get up and go to the Jim!!

Not retired yet, 62 in a few months - getting close

About a year ago started rowing on an indoor rowing machine, occasionally. But with retirement approaching and wanting to get into better shape and continue into retirement got much more serious about doing rowing workouts. Currently, at lunch (M-F) row for either 5000 meters or 30 minutes, depending on how I feel that day. Plus have a fitbit set for 15000 steps/day - don't reach it everyday, it's a goal though.

I joined a gym just after I retired and go four days a week in the early morning. Mostly cardio, stretching, and free weights. I just wanted to keep some kind of routine going after working all those years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazy Davey View Post
    I joined a gym just after I retired and go four days a week in the early morning. Mostly cardio, stretching, and free weights. I just wanted to keep some kind of routine going after working all those years.
    I did the same, when I retired. However, I've since returned to work(past 2 years) and have gain back 1/2 of the 50lb.s I lost. Rats. I'm retiring in June for good.

Got to keep the BMI down, so as to dodge a few weight related health issues.
    Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.

Hey Lon,

That's exactly how I feel!

A "Working Retirement" is a contradiction in terms. To me, retirement means you will never have to go to work as long as you live, and so far I've been enjoying it for 19 years!

HiDesertHal

This morning, I got a workout that exercised nearly every part of my body. I replaced a broken front roller on the refrigerator. The U-Tube video made it seem like an east 30 minute job...Yeah, Right. 2 hours later, a bruised knuckle, and the use of some rather colorful language, and the job is done. I can just imagine what some repairman would have charged to replace this $20 part. That's it for today...I'm going to be married to the computer and TV for the rest of this day.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

I'm 81 and I have a bicycle, but I keep my seat as low as possible...right down to the stop! This makes it impossible for me to fall off!

My seat is so low that I don't even have to lift my leg when mountng and dismounting. I just straddle the bike from behind and settle myself on the seat.

With the seat so low, when I climb grades I stay seated instead of standing to pedal, which gives the thighs a real workout!

Here's a shot of my Sun 3-speed Bicycle. Note the forward slant of the seat post. Instead of being verical, it allows more torque to be applied to the pedal crank, more like on a Recumbent frame.

HiDesertHal
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is my bike. The seat is set so that at the bottom of my down stroke I have just a slight bend in my knee. That gives you maximum efficiency and imo is the most comfortable too.

DSC_0244.jpg
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!"
    Yogi Berra

You should only work out/exercize after you retire if you want to keep muscle tone and joints flexible. Exercize helps with weight control, sleeping, & an overall sense of well being. But if you enjoy a sedentary life style where you can add weight, and enjoy some age related illensses while laying on the couch not working out is what to shoot for.

In my mid 70's probably just me but I think playing touch football with my grandkids is more fun than pushing one of those walkers with an oxygen tank strapped to it.

My knees stay well bent throughout the pedaling cycle.

This makes pedaling LESS efficient, requring MORE work during my rides, and builds the legs.

WORK is what it's all about when exercising, not comfort!

HiDesertHal, age 81

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.