Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

The Vintage Diner

When I read about the evils of drinking....I gave up reading.

"The Fremont Diner in Sonoma doesn’t look like much from the outside, but let me tell you – this is my absolute favorite restaurant, hands down. The restaurant serves home-style, “reimagined” diner food. One of my favorite things to order is their French toast, along with a milkshake – which is absolutely to-die-for. For the love of all things good in the world, please check this gem of a restaurant out".

When I read about the evils of drinking....I gave up reading.

I am enjoying this thread so much! It's also making my mouth water. lol.

BTW, I did find the name of the diner on the east end of Long Island, it's called the Cutchogue Diner. That one is in Suffolk County. We also have one in Nassau County, The Mineola Diner. I haven't figured out how to post a picture on here yet or I'd do it.

Keep em' coming, please. Oh, and while you're at it...Stretch one!

Home-cooked Meals served in our 1941 North Fork Landmark Diner until 3 pm every day.

John's Grill - Detroit, Michigan - July, 2016

johnsgrill.gif

Jovica (John) Trpcevski's diner is the only one in the neighborhood without bulletproof glass (between the cooks and the customers). Yet he's the only one who's never been robbed. This Detroit ZIP code made news a few years ago when it was named by NeighborhoodScout.com as the single most dangerous neighborhood in the entire country.

This cheerful, stocky Yugoslavian cook is utterly defenseless. Odds are, with the way things are out here, he should’ve been a victim many times over. Yet the opposite has happened. He’s never been robbed. His customers don’t get mugged. Their cars aren’t broken into or stolen.

"Man, I’m telling you if I could put a life-size face on the wall out there of everybody that had been coming in here who I seen get killed over the years that I’ve been here, there wouldn’t be enough room on my wall," said Trpcevski, known as John around here. "And a lot of these kids were good kids. A lot of them got killed over nothing."

"I’ve never felt like I needed not to trust people," Trpcevski explained. "When I go in a place that’s got bulletproof glass I feel like they’re distancing themselves, like you got some kind of a disease and they want to be behind the glass. I know they do it for the crime rate, but that has never bothered me. And it never will."

Original article with some history, by John Carlisle, Detroit Free Press
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 03-20-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added picture of John

Tom's Diner - Suzanne Vega, 1987
    (Not a fan of this song, btw)

The diner of the song is Tom's Restaurant in New York City, a diner on the corner of Broadway and 112th Street. Singer and songwriter Suzanne Vega was reputedly a frequent patron of the eatery during the early 1980s when she was a student at nearby Barnard College. The mid-twentieth century diner would later become famous as a location for some exterior scenes in the popular 1990's television sitcom Seinfeld.

The HiWay Cafe.

Ahh... the good old Twilight Zone. Thanks, Bea.

I ran across some images of interesting little country roadside cafés in the UK. Are these common? Seems like a neat idea. Is there enough traffic to support one in the countryside?

HAPPY EASTER!

Get hungry while you're out on the lake? If you are in Alabama, try Nibblers float thru grill.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.