Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Do You Have A Sense Of Adventure?

I like to read the community a bit to get a feel for the ambiance and flavor. Only then to I allow myself the pleasure of introducing me!

You are an inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    I did, more when I was somewhat younger. When my husband and I retired, we moved from Maryland clear across the country to Washington state, because we had fallen in love
    with the Pacific Northwest. We didn't know a living soul there, just liked the adventure, and the look and feel of the place appealed to us. We stayed there for 18 happy years, eventually returning to MD to be near one of our children. (As you get older, living 1000 miles from your nearest "kid" starts to be a little too much of an adventure!)
    Our kids grew up here in Florida but now live in the pacific northwest. We looked around when we were visiting up there, and concluded that we could not afford living there. We later learned that the climate did not agree with us for 10 wet months of the year. As a compromise we moved to Arizona. That did not work well for seeing more of the kids, but it was an excellent base for seeing the western states camping with our little travel trailer. Our travels took us to Mexico and Canada as well.

During a visit with the kids we decided to move back to Florida. Our daughter now in her 50s is talking about returning to Florida when she reaches retirement time.

I loved adventure at one time, but it disappeared along with other things due to aging. I've been very lucky so far as traveling over the years, but now I'm happy to have a week of family vacation within a few hours' drive.

Central Coast, New South Wales Australia.
    I am happy with my life now as it is each day is an adventure .. to see how you cope .. ,, we did love adventures in years gone by and one was travelling over to different part of the world.. many countries and cultures all so different .. now I am happy we were able to do those trips in the span of 10 years as now we couldnt do it .. health wise my walking has deteriorated after finding out I inherited a genetic disease not sure from which parent as both had the same symptons .. its under control now but still have to keep a watch on what I eat and my iron contents .. then an accident when I was in early 20s left me with a knee problem so that is getting worse too so now I am happy to potter around the home and contented to be on the computer and learn new things one being will be able to restore old photos hope I can find one to do that with ...thats the most I`ll get with an adventure now but I have been there done that now its relax time ..
    A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world.
    Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    At My age now, my adventures consist of things like walking down three flights of stairs from my apartment to the SPA with out tripping and falling down or falling into the SPA and drowning. This morning my BIG Adventure was calling UBER to take me to the VA to have my Hearing Aids adjusted and then back home. My big adventure later today will be to walk some what painfully two blocks to Wallgreen's and back to pick up a pain reliever. Ah My ---How things change as we age.
    Just one question, Sir.....Why am I not included in your list of Friends in your Profile?

HDH

I advise people "do it while you can, you will never again be as young as you are right now".

It depends on your definition of adventure. I once read "Adversity recalled, is adventure".
    I don't agree with that one. Adventure is personal. Travelling, esp in style or group tours, are not adventure to me, but so many others count it as their adventures. Even if they are seeing whatever city or location from a 4 star hotel room.
    I learned many years ago in the boy scouts to 'Be prepared'. In my world travels in the Air Force, I learned that every location, situation (and person) has their pros and cons. As such, I haven't had much adversity in my life. Sure, things didn't always go as I planned or hoped, but THAT IS adventure. Figuring out how to make the best of the situation and options.
    I literally danced in the eye of a typhoon. It was an opportunity of a lifetime. It was eerily calm and serene, yet pensive and ominous. The wind and rain before and after were anything but calm. Hard to say which was the bigger adventure.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul - Samuel Ullman

Only if I were in a luxurious hotel room that was being burglarized by men/women with guns & I came out alive, would I call that an adventure.

Otherwise, only being in and surviving never before explored, possibly dangerous unknown places would I consider a REAL adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    At My age now, my adventures consist of things like walking down three flights of stairs from my apartment to the SPA with out tripping and falling down or falling into the SPA and drowning. This morning my BIG Adventure was calling UBER to take me to the VA to have my Hearing Aids adjusted and then back home. My big adventure later today will be to walk some what painfully two blocks to Wallgreen's and back to pick up a pain reliever. Ah My ---How things change as we age.
    ...as long as we keep looking at these everyday things of life as an 'adventure' we'll be fine.

Congratulations on taking the path few travel for fear of the unknown.

In reading your post your "adventure" in a way mirror's mine in that after almost 30 years as a craftsman in the printing trade I moved to Alaska and spent 14 of my 20 years in Alaska living off-grid in its Northern wilderness only to return to my family now living in Texas. Now like yourself any people I knew here in the lower 48 have died or moved and my few friends in Alaska are thousands of miles away. Like yourself I feel the burden of 72 years of life on my shoulders and have told myself if I ever wanted to return to where my soul resides I would have to do it soon. I am planning to return to Alaska next spring but even if it does not happen like yourself I have the many memories of being in a land touched by the hand of God.

Best of luck on your continued walk down life's road.
    Pete
    https://kl1hbalaska.wordpress.com/about/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.