Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Do You Have A Sense Of Adventure?

No, I'm a homebody!

I'm not a traveler either. I travel only through the medium of Books, Video Travelogues, and Documentaries.

The only trip I ever took (beside my transportation to the Orient furnished by the US Army in 1961), was a 400-mile drive to the Grand Canyon.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no more breathtakingly beautiful place on Earth!

And I don't need to see Rome before I die!

Harry
    Last edited by HiDesertHal; 01-06-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Hey Aunt Bea...

On the Andy Griffith show, he has an Aunt Bea, and lives in Mayberry, N.Car, and has a neighboring town called Mount Pilot.

Hmmm?

Hal

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Good for you. I love riding a bike. Just recently mine needed repairs and I really missed it.

I fixed it myself. It' only took me ten hours of fooling around with the derailler. I should have taken a picture before I started.

But now I'm back in the saddle again.
    That's why I hate derailleurs! The chain doesn't run true from sprocket to sprocket. A couple years ago I bought a nice SUN 26" bike for around $1000.

I paid extra to have the derailleur system removed and have a 3-speed planetary gear set installed in the rear hub, with the coaster brake still operational and a brake on the front wheel. I can shift through the 3 gears with the pedals stationary, and the chain runs true with no tension changes.

HiDesertHal
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm more like Walter Mitty... my travels and adventures are mostly mental.

When I was a child, my parents took me on many educational vacations around North America.
    We would mostly camp out... by lakes, in the mountains, in the desert, etc. It was a wonderful.
    You have never seen the stars unless you have camped out in the darkness of the remote desert.

Traveling today could never be the same because the world is different. Traveling as an adult
    pales in comparison to what I experienced as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsX View Post

When I was a child, my parents took me on many educational vacations around North America.
    We would mostly camp out... by lakes, in the mountains, in the desert, etc. It was a wonderful.
    You have never seen the stars unless you have camped out in the darkness of the remote desert.

Traveling today could never be the same because the world is different. Traveling as an adult
    pales in comparison to what I experienced as a child.
    No, it can never match the pure wonderment of your childhood experiences, but it can be its own new experience. The park rangers call it the "shoulder season". It is essentially the time when the weather is great but the kids are still in school. Suddenly, in the national and state parks, there appear retirees in everything from VW campers to motorhomes. Sometimes someone will pull out a guitar around the campfire and start singing the old folk songs. Others are welcomed around the campfire, some bring wine. It is a great time to meet new people with interesting backgrounds and perspectives. We love it.

There are still the spots in the desert or mountains where you can go and be alone under the stars. There can still be the beauty and wonder of it all, and the quiet.

Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Nope, I'm pretty much a homebody.

For me the perfect vacation is a week in a rustic cabin by a lake with a book, some booze, good coffee and lots of bacon!!!

I think about going on a vacation to England, Ireland or Scotland but I want to see those places as they were before WWI and have no interest in seeing what they are today, I tune in to the local PBS station for my wild adventures, LOL!!!

I'm with ya....cabin, booze ,coffee an football

Living in a major metropolitan area, the freeway on-ramp is all the "adventure" I can handle.

I'm not sure what 'adventure' means. DW and I are in mid 60's and still do mountain hiking in western national parks in the U.S. and Canada. If hiking 8 miles with a 3000 foot climb up and down is adventure, then we're adventurous. We do week-long bike and hike trips too, but on bike trails. Nice, but pretty tame. We hike the UK every year too although, of course, their 'mountains' are what we would call hills around here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.