Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Southern foods

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,242
    Pinto beans and cornbread
    Collards or turnip greens


    Meatloaf
    sausage, bacon or ham and eggs, with grits, biscuits and gravy.
    Chicken and dumplings
    Tabasco sauce on the table for most meals
    BBQ ribs or pulled pork
    fried or boiled okra
    Pecan pies
    sweet potato pie
    RC cola and moon pies
    I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it.
    Larry

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Houston, Tx.
    Posts
    1,324
    Quote Originally Posted by rkunsaw View Post
    Pinto beans and cornbread
    Collards or turnip greens
    Meatloaf
    sausage, bacon or ham and eggs, with grits, biscuits and gravy.
    Chicken and dumplings
    Tabasco sauce on the table for most meals
    BBQ ribs or pulled pork
    fried or boiled okra
    Pecan pies
    sweet potato pie
    RC cola and moon pies
    Ditto here, too!!

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9
    Grits, sweet tea and boiled peanuts.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    7,770
    I had boiled peanuts once about 12 years ago when visiting the south. They're very good- I'd never heard of them before.

    I love BBQ and all southern foods except the "gravy" on the biscuits.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    N Carolina
    Posts
    484
    How about red eye gravy. Made from strong coffee used to render the country ham bits off the pan.
    Country ham biscuits.
    Pig pickin cake.
    Pig Picken.
    Eastern Carolina bbq.
    Peach cobbler.
    Collard liqueur- cures all!
    Just to name a few.....

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    midwest USA
    Posts
    276
    Jambalaya!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,607
    Not sure if actually southern, but I did a pretty good job buttermilk baked chicken not long ago. Mixed up a buttermilk and egg wash, dipped the chicken and then covered it in bread crumbs and baked. Loved the flavor.
    I am trying to find myself. Have you seen me anywhere?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    7,770
    Oh buttermilk is wonderful, and I love collards and the liquor.

    I never had much of the eastern southern things like bbq, what is Pig pickin cake or Pig pickin?

    I did have red-eye gravy, forgot about that but I don't know how, because it's great!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    7,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Jambalaya!
    Never ate it. Hopefully someday.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Houston Y'all
    Posts
    669
    Gumbo and Brunswick Stew.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    N Carolina
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Oh buttermilk is wonderful, and I love collards and the liquor.

    I never had much of the eastern southern things like bbq, what is Pig pickin cake or Pig pickin?

    I did have red-eye gravy, forgot about that but I don't know how, because it's great!
    Eastern NC bbq is vinegar based which may not sound good but is quite tasty. A pig pickin is a gathering where a whole pig cooked slow on a usually homemade grill. Slaw and potato salad is served along with a cake. I'm sure there's many variations. The pork is chopped and served with more vinegar based sauce containing red pepper flakes. Unique compared with red sauce type barbeque and is an old tradition in this part of NC.
    A barbeque sandwich consists of this barbecue on a hamburger roll topped with slaw.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,792
    Chicken based chines style stir fry.

    Of course everything is chopped up small so you can eat it with chopsticks if you are so inclined.

    Ingredients are easy to come by.

    Rice, peppers, green onions, water chestnuts, celery,

    Cook the rice. Let it sit over night. (It works better a day old).

    Then put all the ingredients in a fry pan with butter and cooking oil.

    Stir this all together. Then make room for an egg and scramble it and add it to the mixture.

    And of course soya sauce.

    Lots of left over stuff can be used as well.

    My other lunch favorite is grilled cheese sandwich with sliced dill pickles inside.

    A can of beer (optional) makes my day.

    Buon appetite

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    195
    The first time I went to Georgia I thought oh yes I am home. Aside from the fact the people were sweeter and more friendly than any I had met before; it was the food that spoke to me. Grits, biscuits and gravy, fried okra, pecan praline to name a few.

    Years ago I had a friend who would bake me a home made sweet potato pie for my birthday each year. It was so good. Far better than a pumpkin pie IMO.
    Sarah

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    7,770
    Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    Eastern NC bbq is vinegar based which may not sound good but is quite tasty. A pig pickin is a gathering where a whole pig cooked slow on a usually homemade grill. Slaw and potato salad is served along with a cake. I'm sure there's many variations. The pork is chopped and served with more vinegar based sauce containing red pepper flakes. Unique compared with red sauce type barbeque and is an old tradition in this part of NC.
    A barbeque sandwich consists of this barbecue on a hamburger roll topped with slaw.
    Thanks Hearlady!- we call a pig picken a "pig roast", so mystery solved. I don't think I ever had eastern BBQ sauce, but now that you describe it I think I did hear it was vinegary in the Carolinas. Sometime I'll see if I can find bottle.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Mi
    Posts
    176
    I love all southern foods as I grew up in Greenville SC,I love corn bread fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy and grits ,so many good southern foods to enjoyleah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Southern Rock from Back In The Day!
    By SeaBreeze in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 03:47 PM
  2. Hola from Southern Spain
    By hollydolly in forum Travel
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-07-2015, 05:32 AM
  3. How To Talk With A Southern Accent
    By Meanderer in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 07:58 PM
  4. Southern boys
    By Falcon in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2014, 07:58 PM
  5. Hello from Southern California
    By Cheska in forum Introductions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 07:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum