Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Southern foods

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Pimento cheese sandwiches!

Greens or green beans with smoked pork, garlic, a hot pepper pod or two and maybe a few walnut sized red potatoes to make it a meal.

Soup beans and corn bread.

Coconut cake, the kind that sits in the refrigerator for a couple of days before it is served.

A great big yes to everything except the coconut cake...I think coconut is an acquired taste I never acquired. The pimento cheese spread is impossible to find in NorCal, so had to learn to make it myself, and love it on nearly everything, especially hamburgers. Beans without cornbread is like cherry pie without a glass of milk. I remember the sort of green beans you mention, but never yet found a recipe that replicates what I remember.

In Georgia we have wild corn dogs.

wild-corn-corn-dogs.jpg

I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it.
    Larry

In Texas smoked brisket is probably #1 on our plates but all the goodies listed here go with it. A big chicken fried steak smothered is white gravy is not hard to find here either.

Quote Originally Posted by rkunsaw View Post
    I have been using Tobasco all the years of my life thanks to my dad. Love it on almost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    I have been using Tobasco all the years of my life thanks to my dad. Love it on almost everything.
    Me too fmdog. I started as a young boy with just a drop or two in homemade soup. Now I grow the peppers and make my own sauce. Being on a low salt diet I omit the salt in mine. Just peppers and vinegar.
    I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it.
    Larry

[QUOTE=Aunt Bea; Pimento cheese sandwiches !

My mom used to make pimento cheese from scratch and it was really good......in the stores locally is Mrs. Weaver's and it's pretty darn good for store bought.

mrs.jpg

...A big chicken fried steak smothered is white gravy is not hard to find here either.
    Please don't remind me, LOL. I look horrible when turned green with envy! We love chicken-fried steak and it's almost impossible to find a decent version out here. I can make it very well at home,but then we eat double portions because...well, I hardly ever make it so we 'pig out'!

However, there's been an increase in soul food restaurants in our area, so dishes like gumbo, shrimp and grits, and chicken 'n' waffles (the latter being one that may or may not be Southern, or Pennsylvanian, or ?? (Wiki gives a good rundown of its many appearances: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles), have been easy to find in the last couple of years.

In Texas smoked brisket is probably #1 on our plates but all the goodies listed here go with it. A big chicken fried steak smothered is white gravy is not hard to find here either.
    love a good chicken fried steak, gravy, mashed potatoes and cornbread! Add a glass of sweet tea or milk and I am there!!

I used to live in the french quarter of new orleans and i learned to love red beans and rice with smoked suasage and, of course a good chewy french bread. Nearly every restuarant in the city serves it on mondays.

Interesting history of this dish. In the old days woman always washed clothes on mondays, a rough chore when done by hand. The ladies, however, still had to feed the kids and the hubby when he came home from work. So, she had no time to cook. The answer was to soak the beans overnite, and in the morning drain the beans, add fresh water, smoked ham hocks, some spices, chopped: Onions, celery, and green peppers (called the holy trinity in new orleans) cover and simmer all day on the back of the stove. An hour before her family came home ,she would add the smoked sausage. Then at the last minute all she had to do was start the rice.
    A simple dish but just fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    In Georgia we have wild corn dogs.

wild-corn-corn-dogs.jpg
    That's a lot of bul........rushes.

Homemade Pimento cheese swirled with smoked chipotle sauce, usually with Wheat Crackers. Very good and depending on how heavy-handed you get with the Chipotle Sauce, it will lite you up. I make my own.

Me: chicken fried steak and I regret to say, sweet cornbread.

Spouse: gumbo, and shrimp & grits, preferably white.

You people made me want to go home, I'm stuck here with all these yankee's around me, I cook grits in the morning, still make cornbread, my wife's on a walker now so I do all the cooking , house cleaning , clothes, exc., I cook for eight on thursday, and some saturday's, most day there are people here visiting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.