Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How Sedentary Are You?

It depends on what time I get up.

I am more sedentary than I would like to be but have to deal with some pain and physical limitations.

A 1-10 scale is necessarily subjective, but by the guideline you set (10 = regular exercise and very fit for my age), I would rate myself in the 8 - 9 range. I religiously do 2 strength workouts per week, and then various other activities on the off days (hiking, biking, kayaking, etc.).

The emerging science about the health risks of sitting too much and also the consequences of loss of muscle as we age are pretty strong motivators. Besides, I enjoy outdoor activities and want to retain the ability to pursue them as long as possible. I figure a few hours a week invested in health and fitness pays a pretty good dividend in the long run.
    Bob P - UpGraded Senior
    "It's not how old you are. It's how you are old!" -- Jules Reynard

I would say around 7 I enjoy a walk most days, weather permitting, but can be a bit lazy at times....it doesn’t take much for me to curl up with a good book instead.....

Do ya think there is a difference between "exercise" & "activity" ?

I do,...activity is doing the same thing , walking the dog, vacuuming the house, etc.

Too me exercise is actual "exer" / extra. Like going to the gym & perhaps pushing for just a-bit more. Our bodies become complacent with the everyday. Not that "activity" isn't better than sitting, I just think that it leaves the "exer" out.

There is a guy that walks by everyday...I mean even in nasty weather, and he is walking !...pickin'em up & puttin'em down. Not sloughin' along. And his belly is bigger than mine ! I used to walk daily, [before arthritis] and i miss it. But after seeing this guy everyday for over two years now. I wonder just how much it helps in terms of fitness ?

Don't misunderstand me...I believe there are "hidden" benefits of it, but judging by him...calorie burning is less than i would have thought.

Illinois --- the state everyone is leaving
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Do ya think there a difference a difference between "exercise" & "activity" ? There is a guy that walks by everyday...I mean even in nasty weather, and he is walking !...pickin'em up & puttin'em down. Not sloughin' along. And his belly is bigger than mine ! I used to walk daily, [before arthritis] and i miss it. But after seeing this guy everyday for over two years now. I wonder just how much it helps in terms of fitness ?
    Don't misunderstand me...I believe there are "hidden" benefits of it, but judging by him...calorie burning is less than i would have thought.
    You're correct. Walking has some benefit, but not a lot of 'fitness'. I'm 67 years old and hit the gym 2 hours a day. I'm doing a 'boot camp' class, a couple of step classes, weight lifting, and using a stepper. If you want to be 'fit', you have to push yourself and get your heart rate up for over 30 minutes a day. You need to work out to the point you can hardly carry on a conversation and sweating to the point it looks like you took a shower in your clothes.
    Just think.... The world was built by the lowest bidder.

I'd put my level at 8. Regular exercize 5 days a week both cardio & weights. Toss in getting up to go to the bathroom, dropping keys and other things and bending over to pick them up I think count. What I am not is a health nut.

Because.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.