Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The irony of stock market and dollar losses

the best of all outcomes is a pension and your own investing .

Quote Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
    If you can build up enough so that you never have to concern yourself with running out of money.

That's something beyond the means of most working class people.

i was working class all my life and lived in nyc (queens) a high cost of living area . yet i made investing a priority .

as i got more and more i invested in different things and compounding is definitely your friend .

a penny saved is a penny earned -but it will always be a penny . good investing skills take the little bits we can save and magically make big numbers over decades out of it .

it took the first 50 years of my life to compound to a million dollars but only 13 years to triple it .

I always fed the pig, just like he was a member of the family, and now he feeds me!!!

For the average person it is all about saving and investing small amounts of money over long periods of time.

"Large streams from little fountains flow, Tall oaks from little acorns grow." - D. Everett

it took the first 50 years of my life to compound to a million dollars but only 13 years to triple it .
    How wonderful for you. Are you familiar with the expression "humble brag"?

a well deserved humble brag i might add . i grew up in a new york city housing project and vowed never to return or ever raise a family there . a promise that kept me motivated and driven not to fail financially for a lifetime . but it is also an example of how powerful compounding can be on the bits we are able to save from our pay checks .

a well deserved humble brag i might add . i grew up in a new york city housing project and vowed never to return or ever raise a family there . a promise that kept me motivated and driven not to fail financially for a lifetime . but it is also an example of how powerful compounding can be on the bits we are able to save from our pay checks .
    If I remember right, there was an article of you and your wife in Money Mag a few years ago. One of those success stories they do. Got a link for all to see? Didn't your wife also contribute a good chunk to the portfolio? If it was not you my apologies. He had a similar name on another forum.

very good memory , yes that was us . it was over 10 years ago actually back in 2006 . very good remembering that . actually the story was kept on the cnn website for a decade and now that i went to link it they only keep things up there for up to ten years .
    my wife inherited i think 200k or so which we left as cash cash to cover our first 2 years in retirement .

50 years of investing probably isn't possible for most posting here. I don't think many companies offer pensions now since 401k's with a percent match became popular. But there probably is time for offspring to learn & even easier with tons of info available on the internet.

Fortunately both my wife and I worked for companies that had pension plans & 401k's. Foolish to invest in the companies we worked for was the "expert" opinion. Didn't listen to the experts. Between company match in our 401k's & ESOP's at no cost to buy and a percent discount on the average stock cost, that long term advantage kicked. The way it kicked in was two for one splits, and even a 4 for 1 split.

Best thing we did was to convert the 401k's into self directed IRA's. The traditional IRA's we have as a hedge are nice but don't amount to much.

So out of the dumb luck to have a long time to prepare for our old age, we both have 4 sources of income. New goal is to leave each of our sons 15,000 shares of a stock that as of now pays $1.60 a year in dividends. With any luck those will split for them.

Probably the best two things the government has ever done for the working people was the implementation of Social Security, and the 401K program...I just wish the 401K's had been available when I first started working. As time passes, more and more people are going to be responsible for their own financial security in retirement, and getting into a good 401K ASAP is probably the best thing today's younger workers can do for themselves. The number of workers covered by a Defined Benefit pension plan has dropped to about 20% in the past few years, so that leaves 80% of the people with little other than SS and whatever they have saved and invested.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    50 years of investing probably isn't possible for most posting here. I don't think many companies offer pensions now since 401k's with a percent match became popular. But there probably is time for offspring to learn & even easier with tons of info available on the internet.

Fortunately both my wife and I worked for companies that had pension plans & 401k's. Foolish to invest in the companies we worked for was the "expert" opinion. Didn't listen to the experts. Between company match in our 401k's & ESOP's at no cost to buy and a percent discount on the average stock cost, that long term advantage kicked. The way it kicked in was two for one splits, and even a 4 for 1 split.

Best thing we did was to convert the 401k's into self directed IRA's. The traditional IRA's we have as a hedge are nice but don't amount to much.

So out of the dumb luck to have a long time to prepare for our old age, we both have 4 sources of income. New goal is to leave each of our sons 15,000 shares of a stock that as of now pays $1.60 a year in dividends. With any luck those will split for them.
    OH it is possible to invest for decades . most choose not to .

at one point in my career i had 3 jobs going on to make sure i always had money to invest . i was a drummer doing side gigs weekends , i had my regular hvac tech job and i ran my own service company on the side at night if i could get work .

it all depends on priorities and how dedicated to having some extra money to invest you are ..
    as they say , those who really want to succeed at something will find a way- the rest will find an excuse
    Last edited by mathjak107; 05-21-2017 at 05:21 AM.

OH it is possible to invest for decades . most choose not to .

at one point in my career i had 3 jobs going on to make sure i always had money to invest . i was a drummer doing side gigs weekends , i had my regular hvac tech job and i ran my own service company on the side at night if i could get work .

it all depends on priorities and how dedicated to having some extra money to invest you are ..
    as they say , those who really want to succeed at something will find a way- the rest will find an excuse
    I agree that it is possible to invest for decades if you have decades left to be able to do that. I was reflecting on the fact this is a seniors site and the probability that most here are past having that time frame.

The best I expected to do by posting about our long term investing was to show it can be done. But as you point out there is a truth in those who really want to succeed at something will find a way- the rest will find an excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I agree that it is possible to invest for decades if you have decades left to be able to do that. I was reflecting on the fact this is a seniors site and the probability that most here are past having that time frame.

The best I expected to do by posting about our long term investing was to show it can be done. But as you point out there is a truth in those who really want to succeed at something will find a way- the rest will find an excuse
    I have a couple of mid 60's friends who appear not to be worried at all about retirement. They spend money like it's going out of style. They do not even have a target retirement date. I think they feel a little inheritance from parents and SS will do the trick. These two had good jobs but also had several kids too. So I know they couldn't save like me, but no doubt they could have saved and invested enough to retire by late 60's. Not happening tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    I've found that the best financial advice, for me, comes from watching CNBC, and their analysts...especially Jim Cramer, at breakfast every day. Following their tips, and monitoring my portfolio myself has allowed me to keep our assets intact. I've been pulling a monthly allotment from the IRA for almost 16 years, and as of this morning, I have slightly more than what I started with....essentially giving us over $400K of "free" money, since retiring. The stock markets are certainly a bit of a gamble, but if a person pays attention, and reallocates as market conditions change, the "ride" is not that bumpy.
    Jim Cramer was one of the experts touting Fitbit. I bought only 25 shares (thank goodness) at $45+ and 20 at $36+. Today the stock is $5.62!

cramer is an entertainer . his track record is a bit worse than a coin toss .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.