Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

The irony of stock market and dollar losses

Buy low sell high which means you have to keep an eye on it. Never assume that stock or company will be there when you want to sell or cash in. Also think about stock and funds for income. The key word being funds because a fund can have a company/stock go bad and still be worth something unlike a person who holds that individual stock

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    I hung in for 31 years years with State Government in Florida so that I could get a defined benefit Pension. I would have never been able to put away enough myself to retire like I have. The State of Florida had a pretty good retirement system. Unfortunately two of the last three Republican Governors, Jeb Bush, and Rick Scott, have been trying their best to destroy it, because that's what Republicans do. Charlie Crist wasn't so bad, but the Republican Party drove him out.
    Trade...our N.J. governor Christie, also a Republican, tried to do the same. He had it out for retirees and teachers from day one. He stopped our COLAs, promised he would fully fund the plan, then reversed that decision even after a judge told him it was a mandatory obligation. I was so afraid he would cut our pension benefits and wreak havoc on our retiree health benefits but so far he hasn't. New hires face stunning benefit changes however.

Those of us who are getting defined pension benefits are blessed. We are a fading number. But like Mathjak...I'm glad I got into and stayed in the stock market. My investments are mostly mutual funds and ETFs (hand picked using my own unscientific method). I recently reversed my decision to continue to add to my savings so they would have more of a percentage in my portfolio because the growth is next to nothing, which means I'd lose money to inflation in the long run. BTW, my investments didn't suffer during the 2008 crash and recession and have averaged 14% annually since. I am 70 years old and still investing. Unless there's a major catastrophic event or illness, I won't need to touch my investments.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatInThe View Post
    Buy low sell high which means you have to keep an eye on it. Never assume that stock or company will be there when you want to sell or cash in. Also think about stock and funds for income. The key word being funds because a fund can have a company/stock go bad and still be worth something unlike a person who holds that individual stock
    buying individual stocks adds a whole other layer of risk . it adds individual company risk and all the negatives that go with betting on a particular company .

i only fun trade stocks . my serious money has always been funds . dealing with just market volatility is enough without taking on individual company risk .

Anyone know any high quality profitable midcap stocks? I am very cautious about this but I need to diversify.
    Nothing in retail, energy or utilities or restaurants.

i don't buy individual stocks for my serious investing . in funds right now i much prefer the small cap growth arena than mid-caps .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.