Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

If you live alone, do you still do basic cooking

I have a touchy stomach, so I find it best to cook for myself. I cook up big batches of staples like brown rice or chicken breasts or whatever on the weekend and then microwave portions during the week as needed. I use store-bought spices and sauces to provide variety in the flavoring. Clean-up isn't a problem; it takes about two days of dishes to fill the dishwasher.

I have to admit, living alone, and working full time, I tend not to cook proper meals during the week. I will cook something in my slow cooker over the weekend, which lasts 2-3 nights. Probably explains why I'm not as thin as I'd like to be!

It's just me. Trying recipes is one of the few ''hobbies'' I have now. I also sometimes read about what goes on in restaurant kitchens and am appalled. Not long ago someone took a pic of a restaurant worker sitting and talking on her cell with her bare dirty feet up on the food counter in the kitchen. YUK! So, every couple of weeks I make a few recipes, eat one portion and then freeze the rest. Then I'm all set for 2-3 weeks, just need to defrost. It's working out great and I know how I cooked them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I started making cold brewed coffee this summer.

I put the ground coffee into a quart canning jar, fill it with tap water, give it a shake and pop it into the refrigerator for from 12 to 24 hours.

I pour the brew mixture through a coffee filter and then heat it a cup at a time in the microwave.
    I got myself a one cup drip coffee machine and have a fresh cup 2-3 times a day, it only takes a few minutes.

I do sometimes but with some help. I use a subsidized home help program where they come for only 4 hrs a day at a discounted rate. Then my children rotate in between through the rest of the day. Those people prep food for me and if im in the mood for something particular, I tell them and they help me make it. Best help ever and they were vetted by my children.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.