If you live alone, do you still do basic cooking

If you live alone, do you still do basic cooking

or rely on convenience or partially prepared grocery items? I prefer simple basic cooking (chop or oven roast, veggie, salad, etc.) but I keep a few few partially prepared entrees in freezer for days when not up to cooking. Trader Joe has especially tasty items that only need a little oven time.

Basic is good, complex favorites are good too. Been so hard to find good Chinese food near me, I have settled for the "great value popcorn chicken" from Walmart with Kikkoman sweet and sour sauce. Tastes great and won't need to paint Goodyear on my sides and float me over ball games.....
    If you're not in over your head, you'll never know how tall you really are....

I do basic cooking and some complicated cooking, too. Convenience foods are just packed with sodium and lots of other stuff I can't even pronounce. For me, it isn't really much more trouble to pan grill and chicken breast or fish and some veggies than to do the convenience food thing -- plus, it tastes like real food and is better for me.

Sort of a patchwork.

I cook a couple of times a week and make enough to have leftovers the next day, buy a few heat and eat items from the grocery store deli, a few single serving convenience foods and keep a couple of frozen entrees on hand.

About the only thing that I don't do is order delivery like pizza or Chinese food.

Not really alone, but there are two of us, and I do not see things changing much if I am alone, first. I prefer freshly made, simple things. I will make a big batch of soup in the slow cooker, and then freeze individual portions. I buy a lot of ground turkey in 3 or 5 pound packs. Then I split it up to freeze. When I buy some this weekend, I am going to take about half, make up meatballs (cooking them in oven) and then freezing them in packages of 4-5 meatballs. I keep fresh veggies on hand for snacks.
    I am trying to find myself. Have you seen me anywhere?

I cook for myself because I like the taste of the food I prepare.

Most pre-pepared meals do not taste as good. They add stuff I either don't like or loathe the taste.

I usually cook several portions at a time and freeze them.

Mostly though, I cook a main meal each day. Not really much of a problem.

I fix a nice breakfast everyday and usually something easy for dinner. Lunch goes either way, either something I fix or something I buy.

I make a good breakfast everyday, but after that it's usually grab and go the rest of the day.
    Making meals for just myself is a rare thing.. I just don't enjoy doing that.
    In the hot weather that we have around here, I don't like the kitchen area at all ..

I live alone and cook just about every meal. I hate left overs so try to scale the recipes down to one serving.

It takes a bit of time but I consider that productive time because I get exactly what I like and how it is cooked.

I use this site to get inspirations.

http://www.pbs.org/food/theme/cooking-for-one/

Bon appetit.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    I live alone and cook just about every meal. I hate left overs so try to scale the recipes down to one serving.

It takes a bit of time but I consider that productive time because I get exactly what I like and how it is cooked.

I use this site to get inspirations.

http://www.pbs.org/food/theme/cooking-for-one/

Bon appetit.

Thanks for the link!!!

It is just the hubby and me but I definitely would cook if I were alone. I have to eat gluten free which would be the first reason. Second,I love to cook and it would give me something to do and save money at the same time. Like a few have already mentioned, I would freeze meals for when I wasn't in the mood to cook or not feeling up to par.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.