Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is nostalgia a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybuddy View Post
    I believe the question is why do you want to live in the past? What is it in the present, that makes you want to live in a previous time?
    Remembering the past is not living in the past.

I stay smack dab in the middle of the present, and don't care about 60s muscle cars, or to ever hear the Beachboys again, except for their one song: this one.

I generally like how society has evolved, and how Western societies have developed an inclusive attitude that allows for more individual freedom.

I do indulge in nostalgia, I just watched Leave it to Beaver this morning. Old episodes of The Twilight Zone, and 1950s sci fi movies totally captivate me.

46 years ago when (now) Mrs.L and I got engaged, we headed off on our first proper holiday together round S.W.Scotland and into the Lake district of N.England. It was a magical holiday as I recall. Earlier this year we decided (after many years talking about it), to retrace our steps and do the trip again. It was just the same but at the same time, it wasn't. Nearly everywhere was busier - the whole pace of life had changed and many places had lost their friendly relaxed atmosphere. But we had to do it and get it out of our system.

That's the trouble - you do things because you remember the good bits ,but you leave yourself open to disappointment.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

" When you are old and gray and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire, take down this book and slowly read, and dream of the soft look your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep."William Butler Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Sigh - nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

To answer your question, I think a certain amount of indulgence in nostalia is unavoidable as we get older, and may even be a healthy thing. With all the changes we've lived through, it's as if we're living in a different universe than the one we grew up in. In a way, we are the bridge between the past and the future. I can remember street vendors who were still using horses and wagons, and it recently occurred to me that the oldest people I remember from my childhood were actually alive during the time of Abraham Lincoln!

That doesn't mean that everything we remember is good, of course, or worthy of "nostalgia." I can also remember, when visiting the South as a teenager, seeing drinking fountains with White and Colored labels. My mother was not allowed to vote until she was in her 20's. My grandmothers probably never voted. People were dying of diseases that have been all but wiped out. Gay people remained in the closet their whole lives, or were shunned and ridiculed. People were miserable all summer without air conditioning. And so on; we can all add to the list.

A great little book on this subject is "The Good Old Days - They Were Terrible!" by Otto L. Bettmann. It's a fun book to read, and should throw cold water on any fuzzy nostalgia we are giving in to.
    Your post struck familiar chords all the way...except the highlight. All my youthful summers were spent in and around water. From the beaches of lake Michigan to municipal pools...we stayed cool and ecstatic.
    Can God build a rock too big for him/her/it to lift?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    According to this definition: A sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past.

Nope. No nostalgia. Too many things to learn about and keep me busy with the present.

However, I do enjoy a sense of history, like looking back at old pictures of things, the way they used to be, imagine how life was long before I was born. Old familiar landmarks, and how they've changed. I try to understand why they had to change. If I don't live there anymore, I don't get upset about it. It's not my business.

Now, if the change were right next door, and happening tomorrow, I might get upset. Depends on what it is. Ha!
    This is how I feel too. As each chapter of my life has closed I have moved on. Each chapter is consigned to memory and I don't yearn to relive any of it.

Hubby, on the other hand reminisces constantly and it drives me crazy. I want to say "Yes, we've had this conversation over and over again" but I don't want to be unkind. He isn't suffering from dementia; he just wants to relive certain memories over and over again.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon and the Truth - Buddha

I've kept journals for most of my life ... at least during the exciting parts. I love to pick one up and open it at random. The day, my companions, the activity is back in living color. Good memories, happy that they happened. I'll maybe reminisce for a while remembering the special times but I'm rarely nostalgic ... no wish for do-overs. I've a practical nature that accepts and appreciates life as it is at the moment.

Looking back over my life I found that with writing my book about the first 20 years of my life helped to release many pent up feelings that I had been nursing for over 70 years. It helped me to face the demons of WW2 and being bombed for 57 days and nights during the London Blitz, plus seeing the horrific sights I saw when emerging from the shelter.I was just 10 years of age then.
    Writing about those years has not only opened some doors for me mentally but helped my Childrens Hospice by making a nice sum of money for them. When I put my WW2 website up that also brought much response from worldwide. I dont regret looking back because it helped to lay many ghosts.

I sometimes get together with old friends and we stroll down memory lane for an evening, recalling funny stories and past events. It's a nice diversion and a pleasant way to pass some time, but I don't revel much in the past.... as someone said.. too much to do in the present.

It can be. Sometimes nostalgia brings smiles to my face.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.