Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Getting ready to sell..........I think I just need to vent.

[QUOTE=hollydolly;838956]That's very frustrating when buyers start nit picking.... Good luck with that Deesierra, hope you can get it all sorted and into your new home as soon as possible...[/QUOTE

Thank you hollydolly!

Deesierra, when I was selling an old victorian home once the list of minor repairs was pages long. My realtor said that we should just say "it's an old house and these minor things are to be expected". It sold without me doing any repairs.

On the other hand, some realtors have a good point that if it's minor and you're motivated to sell then go ahead and do it or maybe negotiate that you share the cost...rather than to lose the sale. Once the buyer has placed a contingency in the contract then he can back out without penalty if he's unhappy about anything.

As far as your love for your home and wanting it to go to a young local family who would love it as much for years...it is hard to let go but maybe look at it this way:
    Your buyers plan for a permanent rental for your beloved home, by this investor-buyer, would mean that many people can enjoy your home

And the investor will be making sure that it stays in top-notch condition! You wouldn't want a local family to get it and find, later down the road, that they let it deteriorate because they were irresponsible homeowners. It happens. When you drive by years later it can be heartbreaking to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by hollydolly View Post
    That's very frustrating when buyers start nit picking.... Good luck with that Deesierra, hope you can get it all sorted and into your new home as soon as possible...
    Thank you hollydolly!

Quote Originally Posted by deesierra View Post
    My home is in escrow! The buyer lives in the San Francisco Bay area and is an investor that intends to use my home as a permanent rental. I was so hoping that a local young family would buy it and love it for years to come . Sad. But I have to move on. My home is in great shape but the buyer is getting really picky about stuff and wants me to fix really minor stuff that the home inspector "recommended" . Going to have a discussion with my realtor in the morning.
    ARGGGGG!
    Dontcha hate that

refurbed a 100 yr old house
    doubled our money

the buyer poured another $100K into it (tore my new kitchen out, and essentially built a new one)
    then
    they sold it for less than they put into it

I'd stick to my guns
    betting the buyer will still buy
    just using leverage

please keep us posted
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

We're looking at downsizing within a few years, Deesierra, so I find your story particularly relevant. Our house is in pretty good shape, but it was built in the mid-1950s so it has a few little quirks.

Please let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by squatting dog View Post
    Hope you're able to sell quickly.
    My only advice is forget renting it. It doesn't seem to matter how carefully you check someone, most renters are very much alike.
    When we had to move to Florida to take care of my mother after her stroke, we rented our piece of paradise in the Ozarks. Lovely couple... newly married, new baby, passed all the background checks etc. Took longer to care for mom than we thought, but, rent payments came through on time, well, most of the time. On a whim, I made a trip back to check on the place and was shocked. The couple had split up and both moved out and husbands brother and his merry band of meth heads had moved in. House was destroyed inside, outside was a jungle... and needed the law to remove the loser brigade. Final straw when I returned after the eviction, they had stolen all the appliances and gutted most of the house (like the laundry room pic) and left me a mountain of trash. (literally) see pic.
    It took us over a year of work and around 20,000 dollars to get our home back in shape.
    WOW so sorry for what you went through. That's horrible. I have had friends suggest that I rent out my house but it was never even an option in my head to do that. I've heard too many horror stories like yours.

My realtor came to my defense with the buyer's agent and said I have too much on my plate (moving to a temporary place, still working part time, packing etc) to have the time to deal with hiring people to fix the things she wanted fixed. So we offered $1000 in credits to be paid out of escrow. She counter-offered for $2000. I accepted, but my agent wasn't happy, she wanted to offer $1500. For the extra $500 it wasn't worth haggling any more, to me. I just wanted to shut the buyer up and move on! So now the only thing that could kill the deal is if the appraisal doesn't come in high enough. Should find out this week........

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Deesierra, when I was selling an old victorian home once the list of minor repairs was pages long. My realtor said that we should just say "it's an old house and these minor things are to be expected". It sold without me doing any repairs.

On the other hand, some realtors have a good point that if it's minor and you're motivated to sell then go ahead and do it or maybe negotiate that you share the cost...rather than to lose the sale. Once the buyer has placed a contingency in the contract then he can back out without penalty if he's unhappy about anything.

As far as your love for your home and wanting it to go to a young local family who would love it as much for years...it is hard to let go but maybe look at it this way:
    Your buyers plan for a permanent rental for your beloved home, by this investor-buyer, would mean that many people can enjoy your home

And the investor will be making sure that it stays in top-notch condition! You wouldn't want a local family to get it and find, later down the road, that they let it deteriorate because they were irresponsible homeowners. It happens. When you drive by years later it can be heartbreaking to see that.
    I like the way you think Lara!! Thank you for a better perspective

Well it is all behind me now! Finally.....I can take a deep breath!! Escrow closed two days ago and the dogs and I are beginning to settle in to our temporary home. The last few months have left me feeling more exhausted and beaten than I can ever remember, but I think today I have turned a corner and feeling human again. I will be paying rent in my temporary home but the rent includes all utilities and cable, and I am feeling a pleasant sense of freedom from responsibilities! Will enjoy that while I can because I will eventually buy another home. I am excited for this new chapter in my life and the adventures that await!!

Deesierra, please keep updating about your adventure!
    I love-love-love hearing stories from friends who have decided to move ahead/on -- lots of funny, sometimes frustrating, but always interesting tales to hear about
    You have support here at SF too -- nice to know, right?
    Drama-free

Quote Originally Posted by JFBev View Post
    Deesierra, please keep updating about your adventure!
    I love-love-love hearing stories from friends who have decided to move ahead/on -- lots of funny, sometimes frustrating, but always interesting tales to hear about
    You have support here at SF too -- nice to know, right?
    JFBev, right you are about the support here on SF. Lots of positive thoughts and helpful suggestions that I have always enjoyed and appreciated. It's comforting to know that there are folks out there "listening".

Hi deesierra - interesting and heartfelt story - glad things worked out - but all the way through reading I kept thinking deesierra hasn't mentioned any family or friends that can support her during these difficult times. Not prying it just bugged me!

Good to hear! Best of luck finding your permanent home. Now, go have lots of fun!

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Thank goodness that's all over, Deesierra! Good luck in your new place.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Congratulations Deesierra, so happy for you! I bet that's a big weight off your shoulders, wishing you nothing but the best and a bright and peaceful future!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.