Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Best Flashlight

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    central Missouri
    Posts
    5,294

    Best Flashlight

    Harbor Freight opened a new store in our area, and I was up there last week and bought a couple of minor tools. They were offering some small Free items for any purchase....one of which was a small LED flashlight, which I got. That little rascal works great, and they claim will will run up to 48 hours on 3 AAA batteries. It has a hook to hang it on something, and also a magnet on the back to stick it to a metal surface. If you are looking for a handy small light source, this would be a good choice....and it only costs $3.49 if you don't have a store coupon.

    https://www.harborfreight.com/27-led...ght-62532.html
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,476
    I've collected several of those also, love 'em.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    496
    I have one, and you're right. It produces a broad even light that's great for walking around in the dark. They also have a small 9 LED flashlight that they often give away, and it's handy too. I have several of those.

    Don

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Posts
    2,701
    Flashlights have really improved since back in the day. The old ones were so frustrating! They seemed to never work when you needed them. The new ones are dependable, put out lots of light, and the batteries last so much longer!

    I've got two.

    For the house I've got a Coleman that takes 6 AA's:

    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Compa...hlight+coleman

    And for the car I have a Rayovac that takes 3 AA's.

    https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Virtually-Indestructible-Flashlight-DIY3AAA-B/dp/B004Y6DM9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496279641&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=rayovac+flashlight&psc=1

    Both are great products IMO.

    Monday night we had a thunderstorm here and a tree went down a couple of blocks away and took down the power lines. Our power went out at 11:30 pm and was out for about 6 hours.

    Those two flashlights were all I needed. No need for candles like back in the old days. You can turn that little Rayovac on and set it down on it's end pointing upward and it will light up a whole room just like a lantern.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    Flashlights have really improved since back in the day. The old ones were so frustrating! They seemed to never work when you needed them. The new ones are dependable, put out lots of light, and the batteries last so much longer!

    Those two flashlights were all I needed. No need for candles like back in the old days. You can turn that little Rayovac on and set it down on it's end pointing upward and it will light up a whole room just like a lantern.
    We keep four lanterns in a closet for just that purpose. One is fluorescent and the other three are LED. They put out a lot of light for a long time. Now, our candles are just for Halloween pumpkins.

    Don

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    5,579
    How do you store extra batteries. I heard that putting them in the freezer works.

    All I use is rechargeable batteries especially for flashlights.

    I carry those small LED ones in my pocket for when I am walking at night.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    877
    I've got one of those also, Santa Clause (My Sister.) gave me one for Christmas.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wisc USA
    Posts
    484
    I've got a few of those AAA LED flashlights - they keep getting brighter and cheaper (thought that may be the ones made in China).
    But they aren't the 'best flashlights'.
    I'm kinda shopping for a dual switch, 18650, LED with zoom lens. Dual switch means separate switches for on/off and different modes (hi, low, flash...). 18650 is a very common rechargeable battery, up to 3500 mAh. Zoom lens is for wide to narrow beam, like a mag-lite.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    central Missouri
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    How do you store extra batteries. I heard that putting them in the freezer works. All I use is rechargeable batteries especially for flashlights. I carry those small LED ones in my pocket for when I am walking at night.
    Storing batteries in a cool place is a good idea...I'm not sure if Freezing them helps. If you use a fair amount of batteries, you might want to go to EBAY and shop for Duracell "Procell" batteries. I've used these for years, and they last twice as long as the commercial Eveready, Ray-o-Vac, etc., alkalines sold in the stores, And, on EBAY, they are half the price of the store batteries.

    Rechargeable batteries are OK, but if you measure the voltage after they have been out of the charger for an hour or so, most only put out 1.2 to 1.4 volts...so, I don't think they have much of an advantage.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    central Missouri
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by HipGnosis View Post
    I'm kinda shopping for a dual switch, 18650, LED with zoom lens. Dual switch means separate switches for on/off and different modes (hi, low, flash...). 18650 is a very common rechargeable battery, up to 3500 mAh. Zoom lens is for wide to narrow beam, like a mag-lite.
    Here you go...I bought a couple of these a few months ago to keep in the cars, and they work great. Plus, here's 2 for $16...instead of the "$19.95, Plus processing and handling" that these As Seen on TV ads want for just one.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Tactical...AAAOSwux5YP5Yh
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wisc USA
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    Here you go...I bought a couple of these a few months ago to keep in the cars, and they work great. Plus, here's 2 for $16...instead of the "$19.95, Plus processing and handling" that these As Seen on TV ads want for just one.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Tactical...AAAOSwux5YP5Yh
    THANKS
    I'll check that out

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wisc USA
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    Rechargeable batteries are OK, but if you measure the voltage after they have been out of the charger for an hour or so, most only put out 1.2 to 1.4 volts...so, I don't think they have much of an advantage.
    Not if you buy 'low self discharge' (LSD) rechargeables, which have been on the market for a few years now. They are also marketed as 'pre-charged rechargeables'.
    I also have and recommend a 'smart' charger that can recondition rechargeable batteries (some, not all).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    701
    Best flashlight=the one that works when you need it

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Southern California's High Mojave Desert
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    Storing batteries in a cool place is a good idea...I'm not sure if Freezing them helps. If you use a fair amount of batteries, you might want to go to EBAY and shop for Duracell "Procell" batteries. I've used these for years, and they last twice as long as the commercial Eveready, Ray-o-Vac, etc., alkalines sold in the stores, And, on EBAY, they are half the price of the store batteries.

    Rechargeable batteries are OK, but if you measure the voltage after they have been out of the charger for an hour or so, most only put out 1.2 to 1.4 volts...so, I don't think they have much of an advantage.
    People call them "Batteries", but they're actually "Cells".

    A Battery is several units in a group, like an Artillery Battery, which consists of several Cannons.

    Those big, long flashlights are called "5-cell" flashlights, not "5-battery" flashlights.

    Your car battery is composed of 6 cells connected internally in series to provide 12 volts nominal. (Actual charged voltage is 13.6 volts.)

    That's all.....
    HiDesertHal

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma....U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,740
    I picked up a three 'D' cell LED Maglite last winter that is really bright that I like......they run about $25.00 excluding batteries.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Great Flashlight
    By Don M. in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-26-2016, 04:05 PM
  2. Flashlight App? for your smart phone?
    By ~Lenore in forum Current News & Hot Topics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 03:46 AM
  3. Flashlight App for your Smartphone..
    By Denise1952 in forum Current News & Hot Topics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum