Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Too much fruit?

So, I guess I was wondering about some kind of standard to go by, or a gauge or recommended quantity per day, as a guideline for determining "how much" fruit is enough.

This:

U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends several healthy diet plans to help adults with weight, all of which suggest eating 2 to 21/2 cups of fruit daily.

O.K., so I'm going to say(for my own edification) that eating say, 2 or less cups of fruit daily(given-constant level of exercise) should not adversely affect my weight goals. Perhaps eat more veggies, a skosh less fruit.

My interpretation & research indicates that one should have up to 10 servings daily, 1/2 cup is considered a serving. Your post of 2- 2 1/2 cups of fruit coincide with those figures, 5 servings of fruits (I limit myself to berries, cheeries, apples). No melons or bananas good fruits but spike my BS. I get my 5 servings of vegetables also, mostly beans, sweet potatoes (I eat the skin), brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, carrots.

I avoid dried fruits (raisins,,,etc) too much concentrated sugars, no fruit juices, also potatoes good nutrition but spike my BS. Eat mostly complex carbs (again sweet potatoes, oatmeal, beans) stay away from breads (including pizza) & pastries - my weakness. Only sweet is a hard candy for emergency drops in BS. My counts, BMI (weight) all are within normal range (1 year running), my only meds are reduced insulin/metformin now, losartan for BP (115/60) & a 2000 ui (down from 5K) vitamin D (live in the wet,rainy NW).

I stay with 3-4 oz servings of meats (chicken, pork, turkey) red maybe once a week, no more. I eat eggs, limited whole dairy products: real cheese, cottage cheese & 1/2 n 1/2 to lighten my 80 oz of daily coffee, nuts mostly mixed lightly salted & a small bowl of microwaved brown paper bag/parmesan cheese coated/real melted butter serving of popcorn for roughage.

My wife buys plastic bowls of pre-cut chunks of Watermelon, Cantaloupe, and Honeydew Melon.

Thay make great snacks, and the Sweeter the Better!

HiDesertHal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.