Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Too much fruit?

So, I guess I was wondering about some kind of standard to go by, or a gauge or recommended quantity per day, as a guideline for determining "how much" fruit is enough.

This:

U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends several healthy diet plans to help adults with weight, all of which suggest eating 2 to 21/2 cups of fruit daily.

O.K., so I'm going to say(for my own edification) that eating say, 2 or less cups of fruit daily(given-constant level of exercise) should not adversely affect my weight goals. Perhaps eat more veggies, a skosh less fruit.

My interpretation & research indicates that one should have up to 10 servings daily, 1/2 cup is considered a serving. Your post of 2- 2 1/2 cups of fruit coincide with those figures, 5 servings of fruits (I limit myself to berries, cheeries, apples). No melons or bananas good fruits but spike my BS. I get my 5 servings of vegetables also, mostly beans, sweet potatoes (I eat the skin), brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, carrots.

I avoid dried fruits (raisins,,,etc) too much concentrated sugars, no fruit juices, also potatoes good nutrition but spike my BS. Eat mostly complex carbs (again sweet potatoes, oatmeal, beans) stay away from breads (including pizza) & pastries - my weakness. Only sweet is a hard candy for emergency drops in BS. My counts, BMI (weight) all are within normal range (1 year running), my only meds are reduced insulin/metformin now, losartan for BP (115/60) & a 2000 ui (down from 5K) vitamin D (live in the wet,rainy NW).

I stay with 3-4 oz servings of meats (chicken, pork, turkey) red maybe once a week, no more. I eat eggs, limited whole dairy products: real cheese, cottage cheese & 1/2 n 1/2 to lighten my 80 oz of daily coffee, nuts mostly mixed lightly salted & a small bowl of microwaved brown paper bag/parmesan cheese coated/real melted butter serving of popcorn for roughage.

My wife buys plastic bowls of pre-cut chunks of Watermelon, Cantaloupe, and Honeydew Melon.

Thay make great snacks, and the Sweeter the Better!

HiDesertHal

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Blood sugar problems can be exacerbated by eating to much fruit,particularly fruits with high sugar content.

Add some fish to your diet.
    Hey,Lon

I eat at the Steer & Stein steak house every week, but I eat Only Seafood, while my wife has steak.

As for sugar, I get mine in the following forms: Fructose, Lactose, Maltose, Sucrose, and Dextrose.

I eat a lot of snacks that are pure sugar, and I love that sweet taste!

I've had the sugar habit all my life and I'm not a Diabetic...my semi-annual blood tests confirm that!

As for Alcohol, I have 2 Rum & Cokes every evening, and a 32-ounce stein of beer when we eat out.

Yowsah!
    HiDesertHal
    Last edited by HiDesertHal; 11-27-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Besides the calorie intake, be to change up or vary your workout routine too. Our bodies get used to the same exercises over & over. By working the same muscles, same pace and not challenging ourselves with different kinds of workouts and speeds, we can hit a plateau instead of keeping our metabolism revved up.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyLouWho View Post
    Besides the calorie intake, be to change up or vary your workout routine too. Our bodies get used to the same exercises over & over. By working the same muscles, same pace and not challenging ourselves with different kinds of workouts and speeds, we can hit a plateau instead of keeping our metabolism revved up.
    Great advise, you are so right! In need to check out a different weight circuit at the gym. Also, been considering whether I can keep up with the Turbo Kick class. I see a guy in that class that's over 80, but he is quite fit, would put a 40 year old to shame.

What kind of exercise are you doing? If your lifting weights or any other type of muscle building exercise, Iím not surprised that youíre not losing weight, but if youíre doing calorie burning exercises, like jogging, fast walking or are using a treadmill, stepper, etc., then you should be losing weight. Keep an eye on your total calorie intake and stay around 1600. I know that for adults, the recommended calorie intake is about 2000, but when trying to lose weight, adjustments have to be made.

The PA State Police has very stringent policies regarding weight. I once had to lose 12 pounds. I went to the policeís gym and spoke with the PT. He advised me to go on a 1600 calorie diet and either fast walk or light jog to get my heart rate up tp about 100-120 BPM. It worked. I dropped the 12 pounds in just over 3 weeks. (I only cheated twice.)

I will admit, measuring out foods before eating them is a total drag, but when I saw that I was getting results, I was OK with it.
    "Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.