Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Am I ready for a new car?

Agree with Aunt Bea. And the best strategy: Whether you've made up your mind or not, tell them you'll think about it and let them know. Walk toward the door, and the salesmen will chase you, and make a better offer.

I've been doing a little research on new cars. It seems every auto and consumer magazine and online auto rating site has different opinions as to what are the best compact cars. Fifteen years ago it was a little simpler - not as many choices. Every make had a few models in each trim line. Now there are more options and trim lines. I am not sure what the difference is between SX, LX, EX, EXi, etc. is. All I can say is that it is a lot more confusing to me now.

I don't need a lot of bells & whistles, but unfortunately, many cars come equipped with "standard" features like cruise control (my car has this and I never used it), GPS (that is useless since I hardly ever go out of town now that I'm retired), backward looking camera, etc. All the "extras" I really need are automatic tranny, power steering and AM/FM radio.

Also, one question, why do dealerships stock "low-end" cars? When you start looking at them, the salesperson tries to persuade you into a more expensive model. If they want to sell expensive models - just stock those. I hate "bait & switch" methods.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    I've been doing a little research on new cars. It seems every auto and consumer magazine and online auto rating site has different opinions as to what are the best compact cars. Fifteen years ago it was a little simpler - not as many choices. Every make had a few models in each trim line. Now there are more options and trim lines. I am not sure what the difference is between SX, LX, EX, EXi, etc. is. All I can say is that it is a lot more confusing to me now.

I don't need a lot of bells & whistles, but unfortunately, many cars come equipped with "standard" features like cruise control (my car has this and I never used it), GPS (that is useless since I hardly ever go out of town now that I'm retired), backward looking camera, etc. All the "extras" I really need are automatic tranny, power steering and AM/FM radio.

Also, one question, why do dealerships stock "low-end" cars? When you start looking at them, the salesperson tries to persuade you into a more expensive model. If they want to sell expensive models - just stock those. I hate "bait & switch" methods.
    A backup camera is not "bells and whistles". It's an important safety feature.

The backup camera is one thing I do wish my car had. I've been thinking seriously about adding one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.