Yellowstone Park's Volcanic Activity Monitoring

Yellowstone Park's Volcanic Activity Monitoring

Just love Yellowstone and worry a bit about its volatility, so I found this website and check it regularly. Last week there were no reports of any seismic activity, but over 3 days, there was activity from the west at a depth of 10miles, moving to the east with the depth decreasing to about 2miles. Just hope it will never again erupt, that would effect the entire world.....
    https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...toring_47.html
    If you're not in over your head, you'll never know how tall you really are....

Nor Cal, USA, south of Mt Shasta, west of Mt Lassen
    Thanks for that link. I monitor things like this too. Here are a couple more for Yellowstone. One shows seismograms in the area, and the other links to web cams in the area including a live web cam for Old Faithful.

Yellowstone Seisomgrams

Yellowstone web cams
    Having fun and being creative online: www.breaktimehq.com

what are you monitoring that will aid you if there is an eruption? if it blows it will make mt. st. helens look like a firecracker. many years ago a volcano in indonesia blew and the resultant pollution caused a major weather change, so much so that there was literally no spring in the U.S.

Nor Cal, USA, south of Mt Shasta, west of Mt Lassen
    I monitor earthquake activity around the world because it fascinates me, I love earth and space science. If one looks at earthquakes over a period of time it's possible to see trends–notice, I did not say "make predictions." Monitoring earthquake activity is just another way to have a "heads up."

We all have the tools at hand, thanks to the internet, to make our own weather forecast to some degree, monitor earthquakes, sunspots, volcanoes, ocean temperatures or Arctic ice-melt, view the earth from space, view space, etc., etc. It's certainly more productive and satisfying than spending time keeping up with the ninnies and the idiocy in the world.
    Having fun and being creative online: www.breaktimehq.com

Quote Originally Posted by Deucemoi View Post
    what are you monitoring that will aid you if there is an eruption? if it blows it will make mt. st. helens look like a firecracker. many years ago a volcano in indonesia blew and the resultant pollution caused a major weather change, so much so that there was literally no spring in the U.S.
    Monitoring is great because I am disabled and it will take me additional time to get my head between my legs so I can kiss my butt goodbye!

I've always been fascinated by volcano and earthquake activity. I monitor world activity but simply as a point of interest rather than as a warning system. This link shows 'quake activity. If interested, look the site over. There are perimeters that can be adjusted to show certain areas, strength, etc and offers of means of notification. For instance, I get emails if anything greater than a '5' happens anywhere in world.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

Many years ago when I visited Alaska, I spent a day at the Alaska Earthquake Center in Palmer, AK. Fascinating to watch machines recording them as they happen.
    Life is an adventure to those with the courage to explore.

The Yellowstone hotspot erupts approximately every 600,000 years. The last eruption was 640,000 years ago. It's classed as a super volcano. Something for worriers to worry about.
    The sad part of getting old is that you feel young on the inside but no one can tell anymore!

Floriduh: Where the Old People Come to Sweat and North Carolina when I can't stand any more sweating
    Quote Originally Posted by Timetrvlr View Post
    The Yellowstone hotspot erupts approximately every 600,000 years. The last eruption was 640,000 years ago. It's classed as a super volcano. Something for worriers to worry about.
    I remember that! I was at home polishing my rock that night, so you can't blame it on me.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedtexan View Post
    Just love Yellowstone and worry a bit about its volatility, so I found this website and check it regularly. Last week there were no reports of any seismic activity, but over 3 days, there was activity from the west at a depth of 10miles, moving to the east with the depth decreasing to about 2miles. Just hope it will never again erupt, that would effect the entire world.....
    Fear not, the likelihood of eruption is another hoax, perpetuated by scaremongers. https://watchers.news/2014/09/01/yel...no-super-hoax/
    Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedtexan View Post
    Monitoring is great because I am disabled and it will take me additional time to get my head between my legs so I can kiss my butt goodbye!
    If Yellowstone were to erupt again, kissing your tail goodbye would be about all that most of us would be able to do. A massive eruption of this caldera would decimate most of the U.S. within hours, and probably have a drastic effect on the global climate for years. However, given that there is little or nothing that humans can do to prevent such natural calamities, including things like an asteroid hitting the planet, there is little to be gained by worrying about such an event...if it happens, it happens.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

I agree with Don and Haunted, I don't actively monitor Yellowstone or worry about it too much, just hope it doesn't blow or we're all screwed.

Amazing swarm currently shaking Yellowstone! 2 weeks ago it was almost blank

thanks for the link. i t was interesting to watch

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.