Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Design of Obama care was done by three republican and three democrats per some posters today.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,395

    Design of Obama care was done by three republican and three democrats per some posters today.

    I have tried to find anything that supports this statement about the original design and release of Obama care. I found nothing that even resembles this claim.

    I would like links to verify this statement.

    All that came up for me were comments about the Democrats controlling the design and refusing to have Republicans helping. Even to locking the doors so no Republicans could enter if the Democrats were not there.

    Obama care was a good start toward a national health program but it does have weaknesses and problems. One being the many insurance companies want no more to do with our national health care. Obama care is in trouble and again, I can find nothing about Republicans helping to design Obama care. Not one Republican voted for Obama care in its first vote and not enough Democrats voted for Obama care during its scheduled vote time. So the vote was held open till later in the evening when finally enough Democrats were convinced to vote YES for Obama care.

    I would like links to where there were just six folks involved with designing Obama care and they were three Republicans and three Democrats. That is not the history of the design and release of Obama care that I remember at all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
    Posts
    7,869
    Here is a link I found to a PBS Frontline report on the timeline of Obamacare. I didn't read the whole thing, and I have no opinion of what it says.

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../etc/cron.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    1,076
    It was called the Gang of Six Bob... It comes right up when googled... Yes... bob... It existed.. and unlike what Republicans are doing now by excluding all Democratic input into the design of their healthcare bill... Democrats worked with Republicans in the design of Obamacare... they also allowed 161 amendments made by Republicans into the ACA.. despite all these.. Not a single Republican voted for the bill...

    In the politics of the United States, the Gang of Six is either of two bipartisan groups of six Senators, both consisting of three Democrats and three Republicans. One group, active in 2009, focused on health care reform in the United States during the 111th United States Congress.

    Gang of Six - Wikipedia


    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Six


    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ooks_like.html

    Yet many of the GOP amendments on this incomplete list do seem pretty substantive. For example, one amendment offered by Oklahoma's Tom Coburn requires members of Congress and their staff to enroll in the government-run health insurance program. Another, sponsored by Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, would "establish an auto advisory council to make recommendations to the Secretary of the Treasury regarding how best to represent the taxpayers of the United States as the majority owner of General Motors." An amendment written by North Carolina's Richard Burr requires that "a private plan would be exempt from any federal or state requirement related to quality improvement and reporting if the community health insurance option is not subject to the specific requirement."


    The list goes on. An amendment from Mike Enzi of Wyoming promises "to protect pro-patient plans and prevent rationing." Another of his would "prohibit the government run plan from limiting access to end of life care." An amendment from New Hampshire's Judd Gregg "requires all savings associated with follow-on biologics to go towards deficit reduction."

    There are some technical-seeming amendments, too. For example, an amendment from Burr (which was accepted) says, "On line 23 after 'groups' insert 'and reduces the cost of health care.' " Another amendment, proposed by Coburn, "[d]efines [the] average work week as 40 hours."

    Again: We're working with limited information here. The summaries are vague. There's no accounting yet for the other 80 or so Republican amendments that were included in the legislation. But in this sampling, at least, it appears that a good portion of the GOP amendments offered were substantive (which, of course, is hardly a criticism). Whether that makes the bill "bipartisan" is a separate question.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    1,076
    http://www.salon.com/2010/02/23/hcr_amendments/

    You’ll all remember the Senate Finance Committee process, chaired by Montana Sen. Max Baucus. Baucus and President Obama empowered a bipartisan “Gang of Six” from the committee, three Democrats and three Republicans, and they spent the summer locked in negotiations that, again, never produced one Republican vote for the bill in committee. The Finance Committee ultimately scuttled the public option in its version of the bill, looking for GOP (and conservative Democratic) support.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    It was called the Gang of Six Bob... It comes right up when googled... Yes... bob... It existed.. and unlike what Republicans are doing now by excluding all Democratic input into the design of their healthcare bill... Democrats worked with Republicans in the design of Obamacare... they also allowed 161 amendments made by Republicans into the ACA.. despite all these.. Not a single Republican voted for the bill...



    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ooks_like.html
    I still don't think you are seeing the overall, bigger picture, of Democrats did the basic design of the Obama care and did not let the Republicans do that basic design of Obama care. You are bringing up some late day news of folks writing amendments to what has already be written, not part of original design at all. And Obama had said he was overseeing the original design to meet his expectations. You are tossing a fog cloud over the reality.

    Did you not see and hear Shumer say no Republicans would be allowed to work on Obama care? Recently. Since the election went against the Democrats? He has and made a big scene about it when he did.

    A late in the game oversight sort of mission is not being part of the original design at all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    I still don't think you are seeing the overall, bigger picture, of Democrats did the basic design of the Obama care and did not let the Republicans do that basic design of Obama care. You are bringing up some late day news of folks writing amendments to what has already be written, not part of original design at all. And Obama had said he was overseeing the original design to meet his expectations. You are tossing a fog cloud over the reality.

    Did you not see and hear Shumer say no Republicans would be allowed to work on Obama care? Recently. Since the election went against the Democrats? He has and made a big scene about it when he did.

    A late in the game oversight sort of mission is not being part of the original design at all.
    You asked for proof of a bipartisan effort to design and craft the ACA... I gave it.. Now you cannot dispute it.. Believe what you choose.. OBAMACARE had both Democrat and Republican input... as well as MANY amendments demanded by Republicans.. I'm not sure why you refuse to accept this... But as they say.. we are all entitled to our own opinions.. but we are NOT entitled to our own FACTS... and it is an undisputed fact that Republican input was accepted and included in ObamaCare.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    You asked for proof of a bipartisan effort to design and craft the ACA... I gave it.. Now you cannot dispute it.. Believe what you choose.. OBAMACARE had both Democrat and Republican input... as well as MANY amendments demanded by Republicans.. I'm not sure why you refuse to accept this... But as they say.. we are all entitled to our own opinions.. but we are NOT entitled to our own FACTS... and it is an undisputed fact that Republican input was accepted and included in ObamaCare.
    Incorrectly believe what you want but there is no way to amend what has not already been written. Amendments are after thoughts to previous writings.

    You have proven nothing at all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    Incorrectly believe what you want but there is no way to amend what has not already been written. Amendments are after thoughts to previous writings.

    You have proven nothing at all.
    Please GOOGLE... "Gang of Six" All the proof that is needed.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Six

    Health care, 2009[edit]

    Main article: America's Healthy Future Act
    During 2009, the Gang of Six consisted of six members of the Senate Finance Committee of the 111th United States Congress who attempted to negotiate a compromise to pass a health care reform bill.[1] Among the bills under consideration at the time were the United States National Health Care Act, the America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009, the Healthy Americans Act (Wyden–Bennett), and the America’s Healthy Future Act (Baucus plan).
    The six states the legislators represented – Iowa, Maine, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Wyoming – had a combined population of 8.4 million, about the same as New York City, or 2.74 percent of the United States as a whole.[2][3]


    In addition... When a piece of legislation is written.. it goes to the Senate floor for debate. During that time, individual Senators are allowed to add "amendments" to it BEFORE it comes up for a final vote.. In the case of the ACA... (Obamacare) Republican senators added 161 amendments to the ACA before the final vote. Then, none of them voted for it anyway.. They were simply trying to weaken the bill that was written.

    In the case of the Bill that is now being written in the Senate to replace Obamacare, Democrats have not been allowed to sit in on the negotiation.. PLUS.. McConnel is planning on calling for a vote without hearings or debate.. thus shutting out the Democrats completely.. Democrats are going to try to force hearings using procedural processes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    Please GOOGLE... "Gang of Six" All the proof that is needed.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Six

    Health care, 2009[edit]

    Main article: America's Healthy Future Act
    During 2009, the Gang of Six consisted of six members of the Senate Finance Committee of the 111th United States Congress who attempted to negotiate a compromise to pass a health care reform bill.[1] Among the bills under consideration at the time were the United States National Health Care Act, the America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009, the Healthy Americans Act (Wyden–Bennett), and the America’s Healthy Future Act (Baucus plan).
    The six states the legislators represented – Iowa, Maine, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Wyoming – had a combined population of 8.4 million, about the same as New York City, or 2.74 percent of the United States as a whole.[2][3]


    In addition... When a piece of legislation is written.. it goes to the Senate floor for debate. During that time, individual Senators are allowed to add "amendments" to it BEFORE it comes up for a final vote.. In the case of the ACA... (Obamacare) Republican senators added 161 amendments to the ACA before the final vote. Then, none of them voted for it anyway.. They were simply trying to weaken the bill that was written.

    In the case of the Bill that is now being written in the Senate to replace Obamacare, Democrats have not been allowed to sit in on the negotiation.. PLUS.. McConnel is planning on calling for a vote without hearings or debate.. thus shutting out the Democrats completely.. Democrats are going to try to force hearings using procedural processes.
    More of your twisted and confused inputs. There were study groups that designed the Obama care program. This was done prior to the election and the bill presented for the vote was mostly blank sheets, like an outline. Not much detail at all. It was just what Obama needed to get the vote to happen. All this was done with out allowing the Republicans to help set up the program at all.

    Now after the outline vote got passed it was divided up and a battery of legal and specialized folks filled in the miles of text needed to make it a working bill.

    I would guess that now is the time when the 6 advisors could be able to make sense out of those over 3,000 pages and consider reasons for writing amendments to what was now finally written and visible. So this also fits into your line about getting the Senate to agree. It is a multi stage idea and work place. But all well after the original design stages that Obama said he was controlling and no Republicans were allowed during that stage. Call Obama and see if what he said is true or not. He told the Republican leaders complaining about not being part of the design, 'I was elected and I will determine what goes in it.'

    Also, there were two efforts by the 6 folks. One was for the Obama care efforts in 2009 and the other was for financial and other things also under the 111 Congress. This is all after the original design work was done.

    Do you some how think a few folks from either side could handle the design and create changes at the same time. I see two jobs here of design and then oversight to catch some big concerns before enactment.

    I doubt if you even consider what I keep writing as you definitely have your mind made up in spite of the actual events.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    More of your twisted and confused inputs. There were study groups that designed the Obama care program. This was done prior to the election and the bill presented for the vote was mostly blank sheets, like an outline. Not much detail at all. It was just what Obama needed to get the vote to happen. All this was done with out allowing the Republicans to help set up the program at all.

    Now after the outline vote got passed it was divided up and a battery of legal and specialized folks filled in the miles of text needed to make it a working bill.

    I would guess that now is the time when the 6 advisors could be able to make sense out of those over 3,000 pages and consider reasons for writing amendments to what was now finally written and visible. So this also fits into your line about getting the Senate to agree. It is a multi stage idea and work place. But all well after the original design stages that Obama said he was controlling and no Republicans were allowed during that stage. Call Obama and see if what he said is true or not. He told the Republican leaders complaining about not being part of the design, 'I was elected and I will determine what goes in it.'

    Also, there were two efforts by the 6 folks. One was for the Obama care efforts in 2009 and the other was for financial and other things also under the 111 Congress. This is all after the original design work was done.

    Do you some how think a few folks from either side could handle the design and create changes at the same time. I see two jobs here of design and then oversight to catch some big concerns before enactment.

    I doubt if you even consider what I keep writing as you definitely have your mind made up in spite of the actual events.
    You made the claim that the ACA was passed with ZERO Republican input... I have proven otherwise... as far as I am concerned, this discussion is closed..

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,395
    If you think this discussion is closed that is just the state of you mind. Those you call the designers of Obama care had nothing to do with the design at all. Here is another very high cost designer that Obama hired as it was Obama that was the designer of Obama care and he use his party members and not Republicans to be the designers.

    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ts_124739.html

    Obamacare & the Gruber Democrats

    By Jack Kelly - November 23, 2014


    Only 36 percent of Americans expressed approval of Democrats in a Gallup poll Nov. 12, the lowest in the 22 years Gallup has been asking that question. Republicans were approved of by 42 percent. In Gallup’s poll 13 months ago, 43 percent had approved of Democrats, just 28 percent of the GOP.
    To understand how Democrats could fall so far so fast, consider MIT economist Jonathan Gruber, to whom the Obama administration paid $400,000 to help design Obamacare.

    Prof. Gruber thinks he’s very smart, and you aren’t.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    5,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Here is a link I found to a PBS Frontline report on the timeline of Obamacare. I didn't read the whole thing, and I have no opinion of what it says.

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../etc/cron.html
    Thank you for this link. I read it and also much of the linkage on it. A very good article and I was surprised that those 6 all had their ideas of right and wrong. Per this link and its references there was no bill acceptable till just prior to the election. Probably why it took so long was a few very difficult decisions that had to be made. Obama took care of some of those difficult decisions where no agreement was had as he said it was all his responsibility and it needs to get done. Next day the vote and finally Obama signed the bill.

    And as I read this article the 6 were not the designers at all but they did have responsibility for trying to correct things and try to bring agreements to the table. Non really managed that and that is when Obama stepped in and took the ownership.

    Thanks again. It was a good link.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,739
    Much of Obama Care was a variation of Hillary Health which was similar to a plan from the Heritage Foundation.

    http://americablog.com/2013/10/origi...l-mandate.html

    https://townhall.com/columnists/pete...ndate-n1239392

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatInThe View Post
    Much of Obama Care was a variation of Hillary Health which was similar to a plan from the Heritage Foundation.

    http://americablog.com/2013/10/origi...l-mandate.html

    https://townhall.com/columnists/pete...ndate-n1239392
    You are absolutely correct.. The Heritage Foundation is a Conservative Think Tank... and the basic design of the ACA INCLUDING the individual mandate was taken from them.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Kansas, U.S.
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    You are absolutely correct.. The Heritage Foundation is a Conservative Think Tank... and the basic design of the ACA INCLUDING the individual mandate was taken from them.
    In a nutshell, the Affordable Care Act did not fail because of the act itself. It failed because the Republicans in Congress wanted nothing that was passed during the Obama Administration to succeed. Once in place and being utilized, there were many efforts by the Democrats in Congress to make modifications needed to see the program succeed... and people covered by the plan. Obstructionist Republicans had already made it there goal to 'repeal and replace' with something they could hang their hats on.
    Today, we will see what the handful of GOP Senators have to offer. Because of them wanting this to be a complete and total Republican plan so they can tout the great job they've done during the 2018 election cycle, the drafting of the plan has been behind closed doors. That action has aggravated ALL of the Democratic members of the Senate... and many of the Republican members. If only 3 Republican Senators vote against the plan, it will not pass. By then, due to caring more about watching the ACA fail than "Band-Aiding" it enough to see coverage for millions remain until a new plan could be put together and passed, millions of Americans will be without health insurance. The blame will be on the shoulders of the Republicans.
    There are three distinct divisions in Congress re the health insurance plan... and a glimpse of a fourth. The Republican Party itself is dramatically split as to what they want to see. The moderate Republicans want something close enough to the ACA that it will work, but be able to tag it a Republican plan. The far right does not want any plan to pass that does not return to an "every man for himself" situation where the pharmaceutical companies and health insurance companies can continue paying executives multi-million dollar salaries. The Democratic Party is not as split as the Republican. Most there also want something that resembles the ACA, but has the necessary changes to make it work for the masses. There is a contingent that will always try to move the U.S. to an entirely single-payer plan. Even though single-payer works extremely well in most countries that have it, the politics of corporate greed will never allow it to happen here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Are You Ready for Obama Care?
    By SeaBreeze in forum Health Insurance
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum - Pet Forums