Windows 10 update

Windows 10 update

Windows 10 has been rolling out a new update...W10 Creators Update...since mid April. Today, I made the change. It is a fairly long process...the download was seamless, and I was able to continue using the system. The Install and Update, however, took over an hour to complete...and I have a fairly fast system, with 100MB Internet service. If/When you decide to accept this update, and you have only moderate speed service, you might wish to schedule this update during a time when you won't want to use your system....say, during the night, while sleeping.

I just took a quick look at some of the new features, and time will tell if I want to use any of them...for now, everything is working per normal.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

I keep getting an annoying popup from them to change my security settings to prepare for this update. I'm not interested in any updates that aren't crucial to the security of my computer. I don't do anything fancy on my computer, and just use it for basic web searches, email and simple photo editing. Windows 10 has enough features I don't use already, don't want to add any more....but that's just me. I would be interested to hear your opinion and reviews of it though Don, and if you enjoy any of the new features.

I review the updates on our computers (wife's and mine) and so far I haven't rejected any of them. They do take some time and on occasion will get hung, but a reboot usually brings them around. Refusing them (in the world of Windows and Apple) generally means that your device won't last very long. This from a family that replaces their computers, tablets and phones every 3 to 5 years just because. YMMV.
    "I played the wrong wrong notes." ~ Thelonious Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminey Crycket View Post
    I review the updates on our computers (wife's and mine) and so far I haven't rejected any of them. They do take some time and on occasion will get hung, but a reboot usually brings them around. Refusing them (in the world of Windows and Apple) generally means that your device won't last very long. This from a family that replaces their computers, tablets and phones every 3 to 5 years just because. YMMV.
    I stopped playing the Windows game and refused to have to buy a new computer because Windows XP is no longer supported. I could not upgrade my old one even to Windows 7. But I wasn't ready to spend another $600.00 just for Windows.

I have two tablets instead for internet purposes. One Android that I bought and an Apple I Pad given to me.

It still works. I was kind of concerned when I had to buy a new printer, but I guess the printer manufacturers are smarter now and they still support XP.

I don't use Windows any more. I've scrapped it and only use Linux. Faster, cleaner and less prone to malware. Maybe not as many features, but for general browsing, mail etc., it's great.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Had the same issues and discovered a new thing in win10 called "superfetch" which is reported to slow down your system until later, when it will speed it up..... I disabled superfetch and my puter is back to normal..... https://www.technipages.com/windows-...ble-superfetch

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedtexan View Post
    Had the same issues and discovered a new thing in win10 called "superfetch" which is reported to slow down your system until later, when it will speed it up..... I disabled superfetch and my puter is back to normal..... https://www.technipages.com/windows-...ble-superfetch
    I wonder if this is the "feature" that takes upto two minutes to populate when I go to the pictures folder? I'll give it a try.
    "I played the wrong wrong notes." ~ Thelonious Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    I stopped playing the Windows game and refused to have to buy a new computer because Windows XP is no longer supported. I could not upgrade my old one even to Windows 7. But I wasn't ready to spend another $600.00 just for Windows.

I have two tablets instead for internet purposes. One Android that I bought and an Apple I Pad given to me.

It still works. I was kind of concerned when I had to buy a new printer, but I guess the printer manufacturers are smarter now and they still support XP.
    Install Linux, get away from Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
    Install Linux, get away from Microsoft.
    Thanks. It's under consideration, but as long as XP keeps working, I'm not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    Windows 10 has been rolling out a new update...W10 Creators Update...since mid April. Today, I made the change. It is a fairly long process...the download was seamless, and I was able to continue using the system. The Install and Update, however, took over an hour to complete...and I have a fairly fast system, with 100MB Internet service. If/When you decide to accept this update, and you have only moderate speed service, you might wish to schedule this update during a time when you won't want to use your system....say, during the night, while sleeping.

I just took a quick look at some of the new features, and time will tell if I want to use any of them...for now, everything is working per normal.
    After numerous pushy popups, I downloaded the Creator's Update last night, left my computer on for the night so not sure how long the process too. So far so good, things seem to be working normally, doubt if I'll use any of the new features but I will take a look at them when I'm in the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    After numerous pushy popups, I downloaded the Creator's Update last night, left my computer on for the night so not sure how long the process too. So far so good, things seem to be working normally, doubt if I'll use any of the new features but I will take a look at them when I'm in the mood.
    I've been pretty busy the past couple of weeks, so I haven't done any "exploring" of this update. I did quickly notice something called "narrator" which wanted to speak with every keystroke, etc. This seemed like more of a nuisance than anything, so I turned it off. Other than that, my system is acting virtually the same as before. We are supposed to be having extreme heat this coming week, so if I'm "housebound" I may look for more new things.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Cool Night Light Blue Light Blocking Feature

I'm trying out the Night Light blue light blocking feature on Creator's Update. It eliminates the bright blue light that can be harsh on your eyes and possibly disturb your sleep during the late night computer use.

I was finding the screen brightness to be irritating to my eyes and welcome the change, the screen now has a pinkish tone and it can be adjusted to be lighter or darker. You can set it to darken during certain hours every day, like the last couple of hours you're online, but I just set mine manually to check it out.

Anyone here using this feature? I think it's good for aging eyes. To try it go to Start menu, settings, system, display and you can make the adjustments there.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I'm trying out the Night Light blue light blocking feature on Creator's Update. It eliminates the bright blue light that can be harsh on your eyes and possibly disturb your sleep during the late night computer use.

I was finding the screen brightness to be irritating to my eyes and welcome the change, the screen now has a pinkish tone and it can be adjusted to be lighter or darker. You can set it to darken during certain hours every day, like the last couple of hours you're online, but I just set mine manually to check it out.

Anyone here using this feature? I think it's good for aging eyes. To try it go to Start menu, settings, system, display and you can make the adjustments there.
    I just adjusted mine to do what you recommended. It will take effect after 9 pm. So I will see how it goes. Thanks SB.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched
    - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

It is after 9 pm and I haven't noticed anything. Maybe I should adjust it.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched
    - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

Did you click on the check mark? I just readjusted mine a bit darker to come on at 9AM and off at 11.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.