Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breakfast, lunch and dinner: Have we always eaten them?

Breakfast, lunch and dinner: Have we always eaten them?

Breakfast Lunch and Dinner

"British people - and many others across the world - have been brought up on the idea of three square meals a day as a normal eating pattern, but it wasn't always that way".

"But when people worry that breaking with the traditional three meals a day is harmful, are they right about the traditional part? Have people always eaten in that pattern"?

Breakfast

"The Romans believed it was healthier to eat only one meal a day," she says. "They were obsessed with digestion and eating more than one meal was considered a form of gluttony. This thinking impacted on the way people ate for a very long time."

"In the Middle Ages monastic life largely shaped when people ate, says food historian Ivan Day. Nothing could be eaten before morning Mass and meat could only be eaten for half the days of the year. It's thought the word breakfast entered the English language during this time and literally meant "break the night's fast".

Lunch

"The terminology around eating in the UK is still confusing. For some "lunch" is "dinner" and vice versa. From the Roman times to the Middle Ages everyone ate in the middle of the day, but it was called dinner and was the main meal of the day. Lunch as we know it didn't exist - not even the word".

"During the Middle Ages daylight shaped mealtimes, says Day. With no electricity, people got up earlier to make use of daylight. Workers had often toiled in the fields from daybreak, so by midday they were hungry".

Dinner

"Dinner was the one meal the Romans did eat, even if it was at a different time of day".

"They were an ostentatious display of wealth and power, with cooks working in the kitchen from dawn to get things ready, says Yeldham. With no electricity cooking dinner in the evening was not an option. Peasants ate dinner around midday too, although it was a much more modest affair".

"As artificial lighting spread, dinner started to be eaten later and later in the day. It was in the 17th Century that the working lunch started, where men with aspirations would network".

Since I don't cook big meals anymore as its just me, I now eat when I want to and what I want. Yesterday I wanted a hamburger with all the trimmings so I got a homestyle burger at McDonald's as it has the lettuce, tomato, pickle and onion. Its pretty big but I was hungry for most of it. Probably will not want another one for a month or two. I will cook for the holidays if asked, otherwise I bring whatever I am asked to.

I suppose in the beginning people ate when food was available.

Iíve learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    You're hitting a sore spot with me here. I've never bought this rule in general, at least not for everyone. Belly fat is belly fat and has little to do with breakfast, imo. Likely more to do with genetics. Points 4 and 5, about the protein, I agree with.

I belonged to a weight loss and fitness forum for 5 years. This was argued over and over. I was always in the minority.

Ask yourself what did the caveman do for breakfast? There were no refrigerators.

I agree with you, Nancy, about belly fat & breakfast.

Scientists slam the caveman diet
    - and say early humans just ate whatever they could to survive and reproduce

• Team say early humans ate very much like modern pigs and bear

• Were 'simply acquiring enough calories to survive and reproduce.'

• Paleo diet that mimics their diet has become hugely popular

"And although cream cakes did not exist in our ancestral diets, 'our ancestors would have eaten them if they grew on trees".

Why qualify a difference between "belly fat" and just "fat"?

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post

That breakfast thing is such a scam. My son could never eat breakfast. He could but it would come straight back out.

So do you push it or forget it. I didn't push the issued. Yep he went to school without breakfast and we weren't charged with child abuse either.

He's now overweight and could stand to lose a few pounds but all in all I don't think breakfast is healthy for everyone.

The real skinny,on how to lose belly fat!

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    You're hitting a sore spot with me here. I've never bought this rule in general, at least not for everyone. Belly fat is belly fat and has little to do with breakfast, imo. Likely more to do with genetics. Points 4 and 5, about the protein, I agree with.

I belonged to a weight loss and fitness forum for 5 years. This was argued over and over. I was always in the minority.

Ask yourself what did the caveman do for breakfast? There were no refrigerators.
    I have never eaten breakfast since I was a small child. My stomach doesn't wake up before noon.

Some advice is meant to be ignored.Same with the drink 8 glasses of water a day.Impossible for me. I just drink when I am thirsty. People walking around with bottled water. I don't get it.Some mornings I can't face food or water .

Breakfast Snooze Button

Iíve learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.