Results 1 to 11 of 11

California Wants To Mandate Solar Panels and Wind Turbines on Housing & Farms.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,652

    California Wants To Mandate Solar Panels and Wind Turbines on Housing & Farms.

    A California legislature has introduced a bill that speeds up California's pledge/goals on renewable energy. It also includes mandates on solar panels and wind turbines.

    The bill includes 100% renewable energy by 2045 rather 50% by 2030. The time tables have been moved up to 2025 on other issues. By 2025 new & sold homes must have solar panels, apartment buildings with more than 4 units & commercial buildings must have solar panels. Farms must set aside 25% of their land for wind turbines by 2025.



    https://townhall.com/columnists/bruc...farms-n2354430

    Goals and pledges are one thing but practicality is another. And with parts of California experiencing housing shortages like the Bay area it will become even tougher for many to buy or rent due to costs. And renewable energy will produce alot of electronic waste that is just as bad as fossil fuels. They will need a huge recycling programs for batteries for example.

    Converting to many things is slow evolutionary process, sometimes forcing the issue will cause more problems.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,750
    It wasn’t just talk — Senate leader Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) is proposing legislation that would require California to generate all of its electricity from renewable sources.The measure, SB 584, was introduced without fanfare before last week’s deadline for new proposals in the Capitol.
    If approved, 100% of the state’s electricity would need to come from clean sources such as solar and wind by 2045. De León first suggested the idea in a conversation with The Times last month.
    The measure would also accelerate the state’s goal of reaching 50% renewable energy. Legislation approved two years ago set a deadline of 2030 , but the new proposal would move that up to 2025.
    Hitting those targets would keep California a few steps ahead of New York, which wants 50% renewable energy by 2030, and on par with Hawaii, which is seeking 100% renewable energy by 2045.
    latimes.com


    With SCE and PG&E apparently having absolutely no plans to increase energy production in California, it looks like solar is going to be more of a necessity than an alternative.

    San Onofre Nuclear generating plant is being decommissioned, and the only other nuke- Diablo Canyon Power Plant is still in service, but is over 30 years old, and :


    Specifically, the operating licenses for Diablo Canyon Units 1 and 2 will not be renewed. These are set to expire on November 2, 2024 and August 26, 2025 respectively.[39]
    source
    Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Near Mount Pilot
    Posts
    2,022
    The statements made in the article concern me more than the attempt to convert to renewable energy.

    "Now all my family members who are here as undocumented workers can get a job. It will take the burden off me of supporting them. Who do you think is going to climb on all those roofs and install those solar panels?”

    He then said, “California has its own program and we plan on expanding that. The program, of course, will be income qualified and aimed toward identified minorities.” Expanding on that issue, he said anyone who can show they are Black, Hispanic, LGBTQ or disabled will get a special subsidy. We are particularly targeting our Native American friends. As long as you can prove you are at least 1/16 Native American we will provide a full subsidy for those individuals.”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    601
    Lawyers are going to make a bundle on this one. Eminent Domain Hearings will clog the courts. How on earth is a farmer going to dedicate 25% of his land for energy production. Does Kevin de Leon think that farms have excess land that can be used for this.
    Obviously not a lot of thought went into this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,652
    I would encourage more solar farming and let individual residents and business get with solar panels as they see fit. Same for wind turbines.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    The statements made in the article concern me more than the attempt to convert to renewable energy.

    "Now all my family members who are here as undocumented workers can get a job. It will take the burden off me of supporting them. Who do you think is going to climb on all those roofs and install those solar panels?”

    He then said, “California has its own program and we plan on expanding that. The program, of course, will be income qualified and aimed toward identified minorities.” Expanding on that issue, he said anyone who can show they are Black, Hispanic, LGBTQ or disabled will get a special subsidy. We are particularly targeting our Native American friends. As long as you can prove you are at least 1/16 Native American we will provide a full subsidy for those individuals.”
    Bea, the section you quoted is from the Townhall.com article. Townhall.com is a conservative website and print magazine. The material beginning with " "Now all my family

    members who are here as undocumented workers can get a job..." looks to be inserted into the dialogue of the original piece. This is very common, the FAKE NEWS

    you hear right-wingers ranting about, are the news sources that they consume.

    The California State Senator that supposedly made that statement(you quoted) is unnamed, and unidentified, But, the author of the bill(SB 584, un-named in the Townhall.com

    article) has a "hispanic" sounding name( de León), so one could be misled into believing(if the article was not carefully read) to believe that he( de León) said that, which there is no evidence that he did.

    For current information on California energy legislation see the following:

    SB 584 (De León). California Renewables Portfolio Standard Program. STATUS: REVISED TO BE BUDGET ACT

    • The bill was revised on May 1, 2017 to state the intent of the Legislature to enact statutory changes relating to the Budget Act of 2017 and deletes all prior language relating to the requirement for all electricity to be generated by eligible renewable energy resources by December 31, 2045.
    • SB 584 was introduced as a bill that would require all electricity sold at retail to be generated by eligible renewable energy resources by December 31, 2045. This proposed legislation is now reflected in Senate Bill 100.

    SB 100 (De León). California Renewables Portfolio Standard Program. STATUS: Ordered to the Assembly May 31, 2017.

    • SB 100 mandates utilities to achieve 50 percent renewable energy by the end of 2026, 60 percent renewable energy by the end of 2030 and establishes a non-mandatory goal to hit 100 percent renewables by 2045. California's current mandate is to reach 50 percent renewable energy in 2030.
    Link
    Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Near Mount Pilot
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by tnthomas View Post
    Bea, the section you quoted is from the Townhall.com article. Townhall.com is a conservative website and print magazine. The material beginning with " "Now all my family

    members who are here as undocumented workers can get a job..." looks to be inserted into the dialogue of the original piece. This is very common, the FAKE NEWS

    you hear right-wingers ranting about, are the news sources that they consume.

    The California State Senator that supposedly made that statement(you quoted) is unnamed, and unidentified, But, the author of the bill(SB 584, un-named in the Townhall.com

    article) has a "hispanic" sounding name( de León), so one could be misled into believing(if the article was not carefully read) to believe that he( de León) said that, which there is no evidence that he did.

    For current information on California energy legislation see the following:



    Link
    I guess it was foolish of me to use the link provided by the OP, sorry LOL!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,472
    Did they include severing the power grid at the state line? After all they can't have that dirty electricity coming in from Nevada and Arizona.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
    Did they include severing the power grid at the state line? After all they can't have that dirty electricity coming in from Nevada and Arizona.
    ???

    Not sure what you meant, California regularly buys Electric power from out-of-state sources, about 92,341 GWh.s by end of 2016.
    Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    160
    Don't confuse the power grid, which is the transmission of energy from one place to another, with the generation of power (from any source).

    The issue with renewable energy is the need to store that energy for when it's called upon by users. That's why there's so much interest in developments like Elon Musk's large-scale battery installation which is being piloted in South Australia.

    CA broke several records this year:
    California breaks energy record with 80% of state's power generated using renewable methods
    Golden State generated 67% of its energy from renewables in one day; total reached 80% in combination with state's hydroelectric sources (dams)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7748956.html

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by tnthomas View Post
    ???

    Not sure what you meant, California regularly buys Electric power from out-of-state sources, about 92,341 GWh.s by end of 2016.
    Will they buy "dirty" power from out of state? Arizona still burns coal and uses nuclear.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-22-2016, 02:02 PM
  2. Wind & Flying
    By oldman in forum Travel
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2015, 07:20 AM
  3. Don't You Hate The Wind?
    By SeaBreeze in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-26-2014, 09:40 AM
  4. What If...Space Based Solar Panels Could Beam Power to Earth?
    By SeaBreeze in forum Current News and Hot Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 06:18 AM
  5. Earth Wind Map
    By dbeyat45 in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 04:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum - Pet Forums