Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Trouble in Charlottesville

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Ol' Man View Post
    Please... FACTS!!! All three cable news networks ratings are up. Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN. MSNBC's Rachael Maddow garnered more viewers than did Fox's Hannity. Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell are far from what you describe as "more NBC types of programs!

The viewership spike for cable news shows no signs of slowing down. Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC all saw double-digit ratings growth across the board for the second quarter of 2017, according to Nielsen data.Driven by surges for “The Rachel Maddow Show” and “Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell,” MSNBC is up a whopping 86% in total viewers in primetime compared to second-quarter 2016. CNN saw a 39% leap in adults 25-54 in total day. Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” and MSNBC’s “Rachel Maddow” split the crown for most-watched cable news program in primetime, with Carlson winning in total viewers and Maddow taking the demo.In total day, Fox News led with 1.47 million total viewers, up 27% from the same period last year. Of those, 314,000 fell in the adults 25-54 demographic, up 46% from last year. MSNBC was second in total viewers with 886,000, up 73%. MSNBC was third in total day in the demo, however, with 206,000 for an increase of 57%. CNN was third in total viewers with 788,000 for an increase of 25%, but second in the demo with 262,000 (up 39%).

In Monday-Sunday primetime (8 p.m.-11 p.m. ET), Fox News maintained its comfortable lead over the competition with 2.35 million total viewers for an increase of 19% compared to the same period last year. Fox News was also first in the demo in primetime with an average of 472,000, up 34% from last year.The resilience was notable given that Fox News lost its longtime 8 p.m. anchor “The O’Reilly Factor” in mid-April following the sexual harassment scandal that forced host Bill O’Reilly off the air. “Tucker Carlson Tonight” has not matched “O’Reilly Factor’s” year-ago levels in total viewers but it has brought in a younger audience, with a 16% gain in adults 25-54. At 10 p.m., “Hannity” saw a 30% surge in total viewers and adults 25-54.MSNBC, meanwhile, is riding the wave of outrage at the Trump administration’s agenda with liberal commentators Maddow and O’Donnell. The NBCUniversal cabler was second in primetime in both measures with 1.64 million total viewers (up 86%) and 389,000 (up 78%). CNN was third with 1.06 million viewers for a 10% increase over last year, with 370,000 in the demo for a 19% increase over last year.For the quarter, the top five programs in total viewers are: Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” (2.71 million); MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” (2.52 million); Fox News’ “Hannity” (2.51 million); Fox News’ “The Five” (2.47 million); and Fox News’ “Special Report With Bret Baier” (2.34 million).MSNBC and Fox News also split the top five programs in the key demo: “The Rachel Maddow Show” (604,000); “Hannity” (550,000); “Tucker Carlson Tonight” (541,000); “The Five (508,000); and MSNBC’s “Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell” (476,000).
    I was quoting from the wikipedia article about MSNBC. It compares all broadcasters and not just the cable programs.

And did you know that Racheal Maddow once had her very own radio program and was far left but could not get enough listeners to attract sponsors. So the program failed. Then MSNBC picked her up and as she goes far left the listeners go down. When she goes more central her numbers come up and so does MSNBC.

Starting last spring there have been many changes in broadcasters careers. Some from MSNBC now are FOX and some FOX are now CNN or where ever. FOX has had pretty much changed over and likely still struggling for new listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Ol' Man View Post
    Please... FACTS!!! All three cable news networks ratings are up. Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN. MSNBC's Rachael Maddow garnered more viewers than did Fox's Hannity. Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell are far from what you describe as "more NBC types of programs!

The viewership spike for cable news shows no signs of slowing down. Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC all saw double-digit ratings growth across the board for the second quarter of 2017, according to Nielsen data.Driven by surges for “The Rachel Maddow Show” and “Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell,” MSNBC is up a whopping 86% in total viewers in primetime compared to second-quarter 2016. CNN saw a 39% leap in adults 25-54 in total day. Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” and MSNBC’s “Rachel Maddow” split the crown for most-watched cable news program in primetime, with Carlson winning in total viewers and Maddow taking the demo.In total day, Fox News led with 1.47 million total viewers, up 27% from the same period last year. Of those, 314,000 fell in the adults 25-54 demographic, up 46% from last year. MSNBC was second in total viewers with 886,000, up 73%. MSNBC was third in total day in the demo, however, with 206,000 for an increase of 57%. CNN was third in total viewers with 788,000 for an increase of 25%, but second in the demo with 262,000 (up 39%).

In Monday-Sunday primetime (8 p.m.-11 p.m. ET), Fox News maintained its comfortable lead over the competition with 2.35 million total viewers for an increase of 19% compared to the same period last year. Fox News was also first in the demo in primetime with an average of 472,000, up 34% from last year.The resilience was notable given that Fox News lost its longtime 8 p.m. anchor “The O’Reilly Factor” in mid-April following the sexual harassment scandal that forced host Bill O’Reilly off the air. “Tucker Carlson Tonight” has not matched “O’Reilly Factor’s” year-ago levels in total viewers but it has brought in a younger audience, with a 16% gain in adults 25-54. At 10 p.m., “Hannity” saw a 30% surge in total viewers and adults 25-54.MSNBC, meanwhile, is riding the wave of outrage at the Trump administration’s agenda with liberal commentators Maddow and O’Donnell. The NBCUniversal cabler was second in primetime in both measures with 1.64 million total viewers (up 86%) and 389,000 (up 78%). CNN was third with 1.06 million viewers for a 10% increase over last year, with 370,000 in the demo for a 19% increase over last year.For the quarter, the top five programs in total viewers are: Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” (2.71 million); MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” (2.52 million); Fox News’ “Hannity” (2.51 million); Fox News’ “The Five” (2.47 million); and Fox News’ “Special Report With Bret Baier” (2.34 million).MSNBC and Fox News also split the top five programs in the key demo: “The Rachel Maddow Show” (604,000); “Hannity” (550,000); “Tucker Carlson Tonight” (541,000); “The Five (508,000); and MSNBC’s “Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell” (476,000).
    Yes, you are correct...and Rachel Maddow has a well deserved lead...

Rachel Maddow becomes 'most popular prime-time news host' as Trump opponents flock to MSNBC
    The audience of Ms Maddow’s show has almost tripled, from 849,000 nightly viewers in 2014 to more than 2.3m in June
    Alexandra Wilts Washington DC 8 hours ago

Rachel Maddow of MSNBC is now said to be the most popular personality in prime-time cable news – a title that has been claimed by Fox News TV hosts since 2001.

Ms Maddow’s network also achieved other milestones in July, including its closest finish to Fox since 2000 and its largest margin of victory ever over CNN. While cable ratings across the board surged throughout the first six months of Donald Trump’s chaotic presidency, The Rachel Maddow Show, launched nearly 10 years ago, appears to have particularly benefited amid the actions and controversies involving the unpredictable US leader.

Ms Maddow’s audience alone has almost tripled, from 849,000 nightly viewers in 2014 to more than 2.3m in June, according to Rolling Stone.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7881741.html

All this stuff about cable news is good. Especially since MSNBC is no longer its own producer or planner as now the MSNBC is owned and controlled by NBC itself and uses NBC programs and direction. For measuring cable channels that is good for MSNBC.

However, MSNBC should be compared to all channels as that is where the overall audience comes from for all TV shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSNBC

Use this link for a history of MSNBC and watch as they have had to change and change and change trying to get better ratings in the cable news ratings. Now after many changes of policy and ownership and directions they are finally able to catch up to and surpass CNN. Partly due to FOX going through some management losses, death of one of the owner directors, and leaving it in the hands of a couple of former Australians to fund and manage. Unless that has already changed. Much of FOX has left and new players are in place and their listeners has fallen quite a bit this year.

I did not post what I did to start conversations on ratings. I was answering a question on the thread about how to control things in #72 of this thread. I said it would be up to the people to decide by not watching what they don't like and not have the government decide what to show on TV.

So how does MSNBC do today on ranking of the TV shows. Over the years even the best of cable news never outranked the regular news programs. CNN and FOX were both close at one time or the other but never better.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    This might be a first for me but this time I agree with Turtle man!

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell declared Wednesday that neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups “should not be welcome anywhere in America” and that “we all have a responsibility to stand against hate and violence, wherever it raises its evil head.”
    “There are no good neo-Nazis, and those who espouse their views are not supporters of American ideals and freedoms,” McConnell said in a statement released by his press office.
    "What we've got here, is failure to communicate."

Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    I think it is the people that decide by not tuning in to programs they do not agree with. MSNBC is an example of that. They are definitely left oriented, much more so than NBC, and there ratings and listening do not go up as it should.
    Bob, for once I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    This won't make me very popular with the conservatives but it needs to be said. The Republican Party has been courting white racists for their votes ever since the civil rights act of the 60's. Those chickens have come home to roost. Like it or not, they own this.
    I think you are saying that conservatives are Republicans ... that is true in many cases but many conservatives, like myself do not belong to a political party. In my state when you vote you do not indicate what party you belong to so I can vote for the man not the party.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmontana View Post
    I think you are saying that conservatives are Republicans ... that is true in many cases but many conservatives, like myself do not belong to a political party. In my state when you vote you do not indicate what party you belong to so I can vote for the man not the party.
    I believe that is true in all states for the Federal elections and has been true since the 1950's time frame. At one time there were party boxes and all you had to do was check one and that automatically put all of that party on the totals. Now there are no party boxes so we must read and check each person if we want them selected. This does allow cross voting if some wish it and does require some reading or preparation so the voter has an idea of who to mark. If not marked the person will not get a vote.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.