Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Trouble in Charlottesville

Trouble in Charlottesville

I find it amazing that this is going on in Charlottesville. I find it repugnant that the KKK, White Supremists, etc are engaging in such tactics. I would never have anything to do with such hate groups.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.57567cac9809

I was once a student there in the summers of the 60's. But I later finished my degree (Master's in math) at Wayne St. in Detroit. (while surviving the race riots of '67; I lived at Forest and 2nd Ave.) One of my best friends was Cecil, an African-American in my class, who later became a high school principal. I had an old Ford with Va. tags, and so I was stopped and questioned a couple of times for doing nothing at all while the riots were in progress, so I know how discrimination feels.

This began over a dispute about removing a civil war statue. I don't know how you feel about the statues, but I don't have a feeling either way. Yes, my great grandfather and his brother fought in the Stonewall Brigade. But I have never owned a confederate flag nor participated in any civil war activity. If our African-American friends are offended by the statues, then I'm not opposed to their removal. Its not worth fighting over. (we lost the war; its over). We have more important things to worry about.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    I've edited this post several times trying to say something bad enough about these pathetic pieces of shit, but I have failed. There are no words.
    Last edited by Trade; 08-12-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    "Power to the people, stick it to the man."

Three people are dead after a car crashed into protesters.
    Boomer Senior

'Stuck inside the Midwest with the LA blues again'
    Not long ago, while randomly surfing around the web, I found a site belonging to one of those so-called white nationalist groups; curious enough to read around the site, something that seemed quite interesting came up on a Q&A page: when asked how they fit their viewpoints/behaviors/etc., into what it means to be an American, the answer was that they do not consider themselves Americans- they consider themselves 'white Europeans who happened to be born in America.' Earlier, I'd also run into a 'Black lives matter' page. From my POV it's 'two sides of the same coin'- individuals/groups who want to 'stick to their own kind,' not live among 'others,' trying to do away with all the good MLK etc. accomplished. And whether it's Europe, Africa, or anywhere else, my POV is I wish they would pack the * up and go back where they came from.

I agree with Trade -- there are no words. That kind of behavior is beneath contempt. Didn't we learn anything at all in the 60s?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I agree with Trade -- there are no words. That kind of behavior is beneath contempt. Didn't we learn anything at all in the 60s?
    Me too, butterfly

I am flabbergasted. What a needless tragedy.

This won't make me very popular with the conservatives but it needs to be said. The Republican Party has been courting white racists for their votes ever since the civil rights act of the 60's. Those chickens have come home to roost. Like it or not, they own this.

The reaction on Twitter in the face of the president's lack of condemnation for white supremacists and nazis has been swift and furious. Will be interesting to see how his surrogates try to spin this today.
    Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present - Jim Rohn

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw235 View Post
    The reaction on Twitter in the face of the president's lack of condemnation for white supremacists and nazis has been swift and furious. Will be interesting to see how his surrogates try to spin this today.
    He needs to disown these people in a big big way. And he needs to to it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    He needs to disown these people in a big big way. And he needs to to it ASAP.
    I speculated last evening that his going off message (the last part of his statement, "on all sides" was apparently ad-libbed) was a last second attempt not to further alienate his lowest base of support. He has to know that some who opted to "give him a chance" last November are now having 2nd thoughts. You see it in the polls. He has to know that he's slipping, and I just wonder if he felt he didn't want to anger the alt-right segment of his base, knowing how much they support his ideas when it comes to immigration. Or it could be that he's just ignorant and a bit racist at heart. It certainly doesn't help that he has Stephen Miller in his ear, or Sebastian Gorka or Steve Bannon. A tweet from last night made a interesting point, that he couldn't even condemn neo-nazis, when he own grandchildren are Jewish. As commentator on one of the Sunday shows just now said, "he missed a layup." This is a sad time for our country.
    Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present - Jim Rohn

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw235 View Post
    I speculated last evening that his going off message (the last part of his statement, "on all sides" was apparently ad-libbed) was a last second attempt not to further alienate his lowest base of support. He has to know that some who opted to "give him a chance" last November are now having 2nd thoughts. You see it in the polls. He has to know that he's slipping, and I just wonder if he felt he didn't want to anger the alt-right segment of his base, knowing how much they support his ideas when it comes to immigration. Or it could be that he's just ignorant and a bit racist at heart. It certainly doesn't help that he has Stephen Miller in his ear, or Sebastian Gorka or Steve Bannon. A tweet from last night made a interesting point, that he couldn't even condemn neo-nazis, when he own grandchildren are Jewish. As commentator on one of the Sunday shows just now said, "he missed a layup." This is a sad time for our country.
    I saw that.

The phrase "on all sides" is a cop out.

He's going to have to do better than that.

What I would like to see is for him to direct some of that "Fire and Fury" rhetoric onto these scumbags.

Sic the 101st Airborne on them like Ike did in the 50's.
    School-Desegration-in-Little-Rock.jpg

Trump won't condemn white supremacists for the same reason he won't condemn Putin.....
    he owes them. White supremacist are a big part of his base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie22 View Post
    Trump won't condemn white supremacists for the same reason he won't condemn Putin.....
    he owes them. White supremacist are a big part of his base.
    They are a big part of the Republican base. They used to be a big part of the Democratic base but LBJ did the right thing by pushing through the Civil Right legislation in spite of the fact that it alienated them. It cost the Democrats dearly election wise but it was the smart thing to do as it rid them of a cancer that would eventually destroy them. Then the Republicans made a Faustian bargain and gave them a home with their "Southern Strategy". Now they have the cancer.

This should not be construed to mean I am any fan of the Democrats. They went out and picked up another cancer by courting big corporate donors. But that's another subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    I saw that.

The phrase "on all sides" is a cop out.

He's going to have to do better than that.

What I would like to see is for him to direct some of that "Fire and Fury" rhetoric onto these scumbags.

Sic the 101st Airborne on them like Ike did in the 50's.
    School-Desegration-in-Little-Rock.jpg
    They look frightened and confused. Who are these people?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.