Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What Is Buttermilk? It's Not Buttered Milk, so What Is It?

Buttermilk Sky

At sunset, over Chimney Top,
    Red River Gorge, Daniel Boone National Forest, Kentucky

buttermilkSky.jpg

Photo by Jeremy Brasher

Buttermilk Sky by Helene Goldberg
    Jim

Jim

Buttermilk is a staple in a southern kitchen. I remember my Grandmother churning her own milk, removing the butter and then serving the buttermilk at lunch. My Grandfather loved it.
    Life is an adventure to those with the courage to explore.

Buttermilk pie

Similar to custard pie. Calories anyone?

• 2 c sugar
    • 1/4 c flour
    • 1 stick butter, melted
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 c buttermilk
    • single pie crust.

Whatever the calories are in that pie Nancy, it looks to be worth them!

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    What Is Buttermilk?

"Many people labor under the misconception that buttermilk is basically a buttery, high-fat milk. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Not only is there no butter, per se, in buttermilk, but it's actually lower in fat than sweet milk. The "butter" in the word buttermilk is not a reference to its butteriness, but rather an explanation of where this versatile fermented beverage comes from".

"Many people labor under the misconception that buttermilk is basically a buttery, high-fat milk. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Not only is there no butter, per se, in buttermilk, but it's actually lower in fat than sweet milk. The "butter" in the word buttermilk is not a reference to its butteriness, but rather an explanation of where this versatile fermented beverage comes from".

Just make me some butter milk pancakes and I will be fine.

Truck-Stop Buttermilk Pancakes

(Makes enough to feed a small army of Truckers!)

Recipe by: Steve Whiting "A yummy breakfast treat, and very easy to make!! Serve with bacon or sausage, and some fried eggs, wonderful!!! Batter will keep in fridge for a couple of days if you can't make all at once, or you can freeze and make at a later date."
    Jim

Truck-Stop Buttermilk Pancakes

(Makes enough to feed a small army of Truckers!)

Recipe by: Steve Whiting "A yummy breakfast treat, and very easy to make!! Serve with bacon or sausage, and some fried eggs, wonderful!!! Batter will keep in fridge for a couple of days if you can't make all at once, or you can freeze and make at a later date."
    "God bleth you", he says as he drooooools on his key board.

I don't like it to drink straight out of the carton, but I discovered by accident that I really like it to scramble eggs with! The 'accident' was that I bought a small carton of pre-scrambled eggs and liked the flavor so much that I read the ingredients and saw buttermilk. Who knew???
    There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by deesierra View Post
    I don't like it to drink straight out of the carton, but I discovered by accident that I really like it to scramble eggs with! The 'accident' was that I bought a small carton of pre-scrambled eggs and liked the flavor so much that I read the ingredients and saw buttermilk. Who knew???
    Again, sounds like a great idea. This is the thing about cooking. The average person may have some great, mouth watering, suggestions. Thank you.

Homemade Buttermilk English Muffin Recipe

"Today, most Americans think of Thomas’ when English muffins are mentioned. Jane Austen acknowledges the muffin man in her novel Persuasion and of course there is the old English nursery rhyme, “Muffin Man” from the early 19th century".

"Soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside, there is no contest when discussing the virtues of homemade English muffins compared to store-bought. With a subtle buttermilk flavor adding just the right amount of tang, as well as, the slow rising and fermenting process, this recipe makes for a rich tasting muffin with a lovely texture".

Jim

Homemade Buttermilk English Muffin Recipe

"Today, most Americans think of Thomas’ when English muffins are mentioned. Jane Austen acknowledges the muffin man in her novel Persuasion and of course there is the old English nursery rhyme, “Muffin Man” from the early 19th century".

"Soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside, there is no contest when discussing the virtues of homemade English muffins compared to store-bought. With a subtle buttermilk flavor adding just the right amount of tang, as well as, the slow rising and fermenting process, this recipe makes for a rich tasting muffin with a lovely texture".

I had the idea once to use some yeast in regular pancake batter. As I read up on it I discovered that the English already thought of it and claimed it made great pancakes. The yeast makes a big difference. I cannot remember what it was called.

It gives them a tangy taste.

Good with black pepper and a splash of chives. Some butter makes them even better.
    [Wait! Take out the butterfat to make buttermilk, then put it back as butter. ]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.