Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What Is Buttermilk? It's Not Buttered Milk, so What Is It?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    It gives them a tangy taste.

Good with black pepper and a splash of chives. Some butter makes them even better.
    [Wait! Take out the butterfat to make buttermilk, then put it back as butter. ]

Why is everyone trying to make me hungry. I am getting fatter by just having these discussions.

My mother always made cornbread with buttermilk, instead of regular milk. Similar to this recipe:

• 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
    • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder (baking soda instead, I think?)
    • ¾ teaspoon salt
    • 4 TB Vegetable oil
    • 1¼ cups buttermilk
    • 2 eggs, beaten
    • 4 Tablespoons of butter, melted in cast iron skillet

And then my father would sometimes dunk the cornbread into buttermilk.
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 08-15-2017 at 08:05 AM.

My mother always made cornbread with buttermilk, instead of regular milk. Similar to this recipe:

• 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
    • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder (baking soda instead, I think?)
    • ¾ teaspoon salt
    • 4 TB Vegetable oil
    • ½ cup sugar
    • 1¼ cups buttermilk
    • 2 eggs, beaten
    • 4 Tablespoons of butter, melted in cast iron skillet

And then my father would sometimes dunk the cornbread into buttermilk.
    Please just send me that cornbread with some ham hocks and navy beans. I will eat until I am tight like a water melon.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    That was nice. Took me back to the late fifties, early 60's when folk music was still popular, but was corrupted by Bob Dylan and his electric guitar. Bob Dyan changed folk music and legitimized rock concerts at one moment. Can't remember the name of the concert. It was a famous one in California. After that there was Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, you name it. And then there was Woodstock. The Vietnam War was fought with grass, LSD, protesters and rock music.

Buttermilk Chocolate Cake with Pink Icing
    "There is just something about a chocolate and pink cake"

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    Buttermilk Chocolate Cake with Pink Icing
    "There is just something about a chocolate and pink cake"

You can't show me stuff like this because I am weak, weak, weak. What a perfectly beautiful way to eat myself into a torpid coma.

I always make my own salad dressings, and buttermilk ranch dressing is one of the favorites that I enjoy . Blue cheese dressing also has buttermilk in it, as well as mayonnaise and the blue cheese.
    My mom first acquainted me with buttermilk when I was a child, and I have liked it ever since. As has been mentioned, it is great in many recipes , and I especially like buttermilk in corn bread and also in pancakes.
    If you take about one-third cup of buttermilk and add it to regular milk in a quart jar, and then let it sit out overnight, the next day it will have cultured into a quart of buttermilk.
    I also make kefir, which tastes similar to buttermilk, and can be used in place of buttermilk in most recipes. Since kefir has even more of the good probiotics than either buttermilk or yogurt, this is what I usually use instead of buttermilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    I always make my own salad dressings, and buttermilk ranch dressing is one of the favorites that I enjoy . Blue cheese dressing also has buttermilk in it, as well as mayonnaise and the blue cheese.
    My mom first acquainted me with buttermilk when I was a child, and I have liked it ever since. As has been mentioned, it is great in many recipes , and I especially like buttermilk in corn bread and also in pancakes.
    If you take about one-third cup of buttermilk and add it to regular milk in a quart jar, and then let it sit out overnight, the next day it will have cultured into a quart of buttermilk.
    I also make kefir, which tastes similar to buttermilk, and can be used in place of buttermilk in most recipes. Since kefir has even more of the good probiotics than either buttermilk or yogurt, this is what I usually use instead of buttermilk.
    Its a never ending buttermilk trail. Can buttermilk be used in chocolate ice cream?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncontrolable View Post
    Its a never ending buttermilk trail. ...
    BUTTERMILK TRAIL
    The Buttermilk Trail is one of the oldest sections of the James River Park System trail, in Richmond VA.

buttermilktrail.jpg

BUTTERMILK SPRING
    Not having refrigerators, farmer's in the 1800s stock-piled milk cans in the cool water here, before sale downtown. The big wooden holding tub has rotten away and water flow is less due to development.

BUTTERMILK TRAIL
    The Buttermilk Trail is one of the oldest sections of the James River Park System trail, in Richmond VA.

buttermilktrail.jpg

BUTTERMILK SPRING
    Not having refrigerators, farmer's in the 1800s stock-piled milk cans in the cool water here, before sale downtown. The big wooden holding tub has rotten away and water flow is less due to development.

This has been going on three days now. There has got to be a reason God wants me to know this much about butter milk? I feel like the Magician's Apprentice. I said I liked buttermilk, now its everywhere! Where is Nicolas Cage?!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncontrolable View Post
    This has been going on three days now. There has got to be a reason God wants me to know this much about butter milk? I feel like the Magician's Apprentice. I said I liked buttermilk, now its everywhere! Where is Nicolas Cage?!
    At least the Buttermilk Trail won't make you gain weight.

At least the Buttermilk Trail won't make you gain weight.
    If I smell buttermilk in stuff I gain weight, but its OK I am up to the max. After this I blow.

Jim

Biscuit Bliss... in a Tube
    "We've long been fans of the ease of bread from a tube. We know, not very "foodie" of us. But when time is short and appetites are long, the convenience of fresh-from-the-oven bread you can make and bake in just a few minutes is tough to resist. We've never been fans, however, of the hydrogenated oils and artificial flavors, colors & preservatives found in some of these breads, so when we found a supplier who could make this style of dough for us, without all the stuff we didn't want, well, let's just say we didn't hesitate".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.