Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do You Have A Spa?

I had one that slowly went to hell, after about twenty years. (I know, that is pretty great, for a spa, but I was a very conscientious owner.) Every few months I was changing out parts. It got to be ridiculous. Also, it burned my nether-regions, even at the measured 104 F. I could turn it down, but then it was like a tepid bath. Yuck! Add in the chlorine in the air, despite heavy exhaust fans mounted nearby, and I decided to give it away. Ended up holding it for a couple who gave me $150 for my trouble. I don't miss it or the in-ground pool that sits in my back yard, covered for the last seven years. That pool was a royal rip-off, too, with poorly built filters and accessories that are marketed to better-off older folks. I saw through that, many years ago. The pool cost about $200 a month to maintain and run. Now I swim in an inside, crystal-clear pool at my local "Y" for $23/mo. If I want to experience the spa, there, I dip my legs in the water. Far more relaxing and I never have to do any repair work or balance chemicals everyday! I DO still love my sauna. I built it about twenty-five years ago. It still is great and feels amazing at 215 F, but you have to get used to it, at that temperature. It is, decidedly, not what you experience at health clubs.

I hear ya, treeguy, about the in-ground pool. Seemed like a great idea years ago, but now I have a 20,000 gallon in-ground hole that needs to be filled in or a new liner , etc............and like you said the cost and upkeep to run it. Oy Vey.

Treeguy
    , if I may ask, how much did it cost you to get it filled in? I've made a couple calls and it's like $4000 dollars.

We don't have a spa. Just one more thing to clean and keep in working order. Once in awhile I fill up the bath tub, put a wash cloth over the over flow hole, add Epson Salts and my little plastic pillow and soak away. We have a separate heater in the bathroom that blows hot air directly around the tub area. The hot water lasts quite awhile or at least until I begin to look like a prune then I know it's time to get out.

Loved our Softubs (we've had 2) and hubby wants another. That will be our next biggish purchase. They last about ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyLouWho View Post
    I hear ya, treeguy, about the in-ground pool. Seemed like a great idea years ago, but now I have a 20,000 gallon in-ground hole that needs to be filled in or a new liner , etc............and like you said the cost and upkeep to run it. Oy Vey.

Treeguy
    , if I may ask, how much did it cost you to get it filled in? I've made a couple calls and it's like $4000 dollars.
    My "covered" referred to the trampoline-type cover I put over it. That cost about $1,800, and I had to take meticulous measurements to order it, as my pool is a modified figure-eight shape. To fill my pool in, I was looking at around $6-7,000, including jacking the bottom and installing a bottom pump channel conduit system. As it is, under my cover, I had to install an automatic sump pump that routes to the drainage channel in the back of my house and from there out to the street. I did everything myself for a total cost of around $250, including the 2" PVC, the pump and hose. Glad my (late) Dad's creative blood flows in my veins.

Oh, sorry I misread what you wrote. Yes, that's great you were able to do that so cheaply. Good going!

Illinois --- the state everyone is leaving
    Yes. We have a SPA. It's down at the health club where we work out...............
    Just think.... The world was built by the lowest bidder.

We are planning to do a bathroom update/remodel next winter (when we're not traveling) and will have to replace the tub. We are considering replacing it with one of those tub/hot tub units, but are still in the discussion phase. Even though we live in a friendly climate, we'd prefer our hot tub inside. It will be interesting to price them out and then discuss pros and cons until then.

Just purchased house for retirement that has a 12x20 pool/spa in screened enclosure. Don't know first thing about pool upkeep. Guess I'm about to learn. Don't really desire a pool, never have. Guess a shovel of dirt or two might be in store eventually.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes, just bought it two months ago. This is our third as sell when we move. We usually go in at 5am before hubby gets ready for work for quiet time...till neighbor's dog barks. Right now it is covered in an ice storm in MI. I have a spa tub too. I love that and call it the Mercedes of tubs.

We had a "hot tub" (as they were called back then) in the late 80's. They seem to have gone out of fashion around here unless they are built in with an in-ground pool. We have had a swimming pool since 1996 and had it replastered last year; other than that it has been trouble-free.

We do have a garden "spa tub" in the master bath and it probably hasn't been turned on except to clean in 10 years.

oh, you are talking about a hot tub. I've had them before but not any more. They are really nice to relax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.