Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Getting Things Done When You Can't Hear

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,791

    Getting Things Done When You Can't Hear


    If you think it is easy then I challenge you to go 48 hours with out phoning, listening to TV or talking to anyone.
    I am patting myself on the back for finding ways today to get things done that were important and needed doing. Thanks to email, texting, transcribed voice messages This was possible. I still prefer hearing as do most of us.Hopefully I will have some of it restored after November.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Houston, Tx.
    Posts
    794
    I know you are looking forward to November. Try doing everything with just one working arm and hand. Like you I manage to get things done even though it takes a toll on the good arm. It has been doing the work of two arms now for 20 years and starting to have problems with it because of overuse. I am just thankful I can still live by myself. Where theres a will theres a way!. You will have an entirely new world opened up for you, Lon!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,637
    I'm not deaf but very hard of hearing. I cannot watch a television show without closed captioning or it would be a complete waste of time.

    If I go to a funeral service, it's a waste of time. Anything over a loud speaker system, I simply cannot understand.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    I'm not deaf but very hard of hearing. I cannot watch a television show without closed captioning or it would be a complete waste of time.

    If I go to a funeral service, it's a waste of time. Anything over a loud speaker system, I simply cannot understand.
    Do you wear Hearing Aids Camper?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,637
    Hearing aids in Canada are not covered under the universal health care and are terribly expensive. I simply cannot afford them. I did try them on a trial basis but they seemed to make things worse. I'll just tough it out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    209
    Isn't it strange that they don't cover hearing aids. Medicare in the U.S. doesn't cover them either. It's like they figure hearing isn't important enough, you can do without it. My hearing loss isn't as bad as you guys. I have aids, but even with them I have a hard time understanding people. It's especially a problem when I have to make a phone call. Some voices I can understand and others just sound like gibberish. I hate having to ask people to repeat and talk slower.

    I hope your operation is a success, Lon. I miss music too. I hear noise but the notes just sound wrong.

    Don

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,637
    Dentistry and hearing are private practice as is sleep apnea in Canada.

    And they are not cheap. A lot of the coverage is through work related for hearing before plugs were mandatory. Now everyone except music aficionados pay attention. The future generation will be hearing impaired.

    Lons operation would be covered but not the hearing aids .

    I think hearing aids are a racket. I wouldn't doubt seeing over the counter models as reading glasses are now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    298
    and yes I know how it must be not to be able to do somethings, i have acute copd and even rolling over in bed is a lot of work. try holding your breath for 3 minutes while you wash several dishes in the sink.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    180
    i know people dont want to talk to you because they have to talk louder then when i talk i talk too loud i figure i cant hear you cant either

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    236
    My father in law lived with us for a few years . He was in his 90's . He got free hearing aids , free batteries - all free from the V.A. He refused to wear the hearing aid . He was so deaf , I couldn't talk loud enough to even hold a conversation. I Actually had to yell at the top of my lungs (and I have a quiet voice - it hurt ! ) That was the straw that broke the camels back . We had to put him in a nursing home. I still feel guilty .
    Every crafter knows - "why buy something for $7 when you can make it for $95 worth of craft supplies" .

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    209
    Closed captioning on live broadcasts like the news is frustrating. It's delayed and skips a lot, and it's a puzzle to figure out what's being said. This is one application where artificial intelligence could really be a help. I picture some poor soul sitting at a keyboard trying to keep up.

    Don

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampa Don View Post
    Closed captioning on live broadcasts like the news is frustrating. It's delayed and skips a lot, and it's a puzzle to figure out what's being said. This is one application where artificial intelligence could really be a help. I picture some poor soul sitting at a keyboard trying to keep up.

    Don
    That's the way it used to be. Now its voice recognition based.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    I'm not deaf but very hard of hearing. I cannot watch a television show without closed captioning or it would be a complete waste of time.

    If I go to a funeral service, it's a waste of time. Anything over a loud speaker system, I simply cannot understand.
    Camper and Don have you tried "TV EARS"?. They stream the television signal right into your ears via headphones. A company called Clearsounds sells them. Also Sony has a model. I have some patients with expensive hearing aids who use these devices as they say they are very clear for tv-better than the aids.
    Last edited by hearlady; Today at 06:45 AM. Reason: Added Don

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampa Don View Post
    Isn't it strange that they don't cover hearing aids. Medicare in the U.S. doesn't cover them either. It's like they figure hearing isn't important enough, you can do without it. My hearing loss isn't as bad as you guys. I have aids, but even with them I have a hard time understanding people. It's especially a problem when I have to make a phone call. Some voices I can understand and others just sound like gibberish. I hate having to ask people to repeat and talk slower.

    I hope your operation is a success, Lon. I miss music too. I hear noise but the notes just sound wrong.

    Don
    You might check your insurance if you have something besides Medicare. BCBS federal (has to be federal) covers some of the cost for hearing aids. Also Cigna and Aetna have some good discount programs.
    Some states DSDHH Division of Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing can help with one hearing aid.
    Doesn't hurt to explore options in your state.
    Last edited by hearlady; Today at 07:16 AM. Reason: Services instead of state

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,637
    Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    Camper and Don have you tried "TV EARS"?. They stream the television signal right into your ears via headphones. A company called Clearsounds sells them. Also Sony has a model. I have some patients with expensive hearing aids who use these devices as they say they are very clear for tv-better than the aids.
    I'm an old guy with an old t.v. Those are wireless phones. What I have done is run a cable under the rug from the jack on the t.v. and I plug in a pair of Panasonic headphones.Really clear sound and I can regulate the volume with the remote. However I still prefer closed captions because of accents. Even the best hearing can't decipher some accents.

    And fortunately one of my best friends prefers texting because it saves money. I'm not deaf except on certain frequencies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Living Alone-------Good Things & Bad Things
    By Lon in forum Retirement Living
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-25-2017, 06:00 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-17-2017, 09:27 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-03-2017, 06:19 AM
  4. I can't hear my TV
    By ronknights in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-06-2016, 10:33 AM
  5. If I never hear the name
    By Katybug in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum - Pet Forums