Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Semolina Flour in Cornbread

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    All recipes I've ever seen for cornbread have about a 50/50 mix of cornmeal and flour.
    That makes a cakelike cornbread.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post

IMHO, the semolina flour you acquired will give you tough cornbread. But let us know.
    Only if you overmix.

I made a basic batter for cornbread with 1 cup of yellow cornmeal, and 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of semolina flour, 2 tsp of baking power, 1/2 tsp baking soda. Wet ingredients are 1 egg, 1 cup of buttermilk (or milk with a tablespoon of white vinegar added), 1/2 cup veg oil and 1/2 cup olive oil. It came out okay (by my standards). I don't like "sweet" cornbread - too much like cake. I spice it up with other seasonings I have on hand. I am not adverse to using curry powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander and almost any spicy spice in any combo. I have also used flax seeds and pumpkin seeds in the batter. I also usually add some shredded cheddar cheese. Not to everyone's liking, but I know what I like.
    A cup of fat? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by nvtribefan View Post
    A cup of fat? Wow.
    That does seem like an awful lot of fat. My recipe doesn't call for anywhere near that much, and part of what it does call for I put in the bottom of my cast iron frying pan and heat it up before I put the batter in. My grandma would flip over in her grave if I made cornbread in anything but a cast iron frying pan.

A cup of fat? Wow.
    Oops! Make that 1/4 cup of each oil.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Oops! Make that 1/4 cup of each oil.
    Here's a recipe for a nice southern cornbread. No flour, and the only added fat (2 Tbsp.) goes into the cast iron skillet.

http://www.food.com/recipe/good-eats...n-brown-265601

Here's a recipe for a nice southern cornbread. No flour, and the only added fat (2 Tbsp.) goes into the cast iron skillet.

http://www.food.com/recipe/good-eats...n-brown-265601
    We don't use the corn unless we are making Mexican cornbread. A real southern cornbread has no flour and just a tbl of hot oil as the rest is in the bottom of the hot cast iron skillet. My mother used no sugar but did use buttermilk. We also use this cornbread to make old fashioned dressing at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

We use Aunt Jemima's corn meal mix, which has corn meal and flour in it. Butterfly is right about the cast iron skillet. You just can't make good cornbread in anything else.
    I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it.
    Larry

I use Jiffy when I'm cooking for one.

I place a 6" cast iron frying pan, with a tablespoon of oil, butter or bacon fat, in the oven set at 400F. Pour the Jiffy mix into a bowl, add 1 egg, a 1/3 cup of milk and stir to form a lumpy batter. I pull the skillet out of the oven and pour the hot fat into the batter, give it a quick stir and pour the batter into the hot pan. The pan goes back into the oven for about 18 minutes, give or take a minute. It's not exactly a pan of cornbread but it's not bad considering the price and the effort involved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.