Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Have we forgotten WWII?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    916
    Dreams are what scare me knowing how I dream. I never went to Viet Nam but I am guessing had I seen action there I may have had trouble in life because of dreams. It is disturbing to watch WWII vets in their very late years in their lives still weeping when they discuss their experiences.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515
    I live close to the War Birds museum. They have a B-25 Mitchell there and on one visit, I noticed a change in 'mood' by the hosts/guides. An older gentleman was near the Mitchell. The Mitchell was his plane from WWII . He was 92 [then] used a cane, and guided by his daughter, but Hey!...looked pretty good for his age IMO.

    The host that i was talking with said that he [the Vet] liked to come out & visit "his girl" ......The folks at the museum always gave him a little 'alone' time with her.

  3. #48
    My Dad was a Purple Heart veteran of WWII. His life after the war was difficult because he went into the military healthy at the age of 18 and was honorably discharged at 23 with a life-altering handicap. He died at the age of 51. I have the flag that draped his coffin in a display case folded in the military triangle in my house. It's in my living room so any one who enters will see it. I'll always remember WWI and I'll never forget my Dad. #lovehim

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Leann View Post
    My Dad was a Purple Heart veteran of WWII. His life after the war was difficult because he went into the military healthy at the age of 18 and was honorably discharged at 23 with a life-altering handicap. He died at the age of 51. I have the flag that draped his coffin in a display case folded in the military triangle in my house. It's in my living room so any one who enters will see it. I'll always remember WWI and I'll never forget my Dad. #lovehim

    Is it displayed in one of those glass triangle cases? I have my dads flag as well, been meaning to get one of those. I'm sure I can find one on-line . I'll look around.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Is it displayed in one of those glass triangle cases? I have my dads flag as well, been meaning to get one of those. I'm sure I can find one on-line . I'll look around.
    My display case is in this video


    https://www.facebook.com/john.mizell...058101/?type=3

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Is it displayed in one of those glass triangle cases? I have my dads flag as well, been meaning to get one of those. I'm sure I can find one on-line . I'll look around.
    Yes, a triangle glass case with the insignia of the US Marines.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    3,307
    The generations behind us do forget, just as some of us have forgotten about WWI. It seems as history moves on, people tend to do the same. How many of us can explain what affects the Roman Empire had in Europe? Or, who can explain what brought about and then what transpired during the Great Depression?

    My Dad was in WWII and was injured enough that he was sent home from France and given a desk job. The Army wanted to discharge him, but he fought it and was able to make a career in the Army. My dad had told me so many stories about the war that I could probably teach parts of the war. I do have some memorabilia items that dad passed on to me boxed away somewhere. I always intended to donate them to a Legion or VFW for display purposes.

    I have great respect for those that served in WWII.
    "SEMPER FI"

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    12,214
    I don't know what mad me think of this, but my WW2 veteran dad used to say

    "mox-nix" Dos that sound familiar to anyone?

    I just looked it up-An American spelling of the German expression "macht nichts" which means roughly, "it makes no difference."

    Mary: "Do you want ice cream or pie for dessert?"

    Joe: "Mox nix. Just surprise me."

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I don't know what mad me think of this, but my WW2 veteran dad used to say

    "mox-nix" Dos that sound familiar to anyone?

    I just looked it up-An American spelling of the German expression "macht nichts" which means roughly, "it makes no difference."

    Mary: "Do you want ice cream or pie for dessert?"

    Joe: "Mox nix. Just surprise me."
    I served in Germany in the 70s. Used "mox nix" a lot. "No biggy" or "it doesn't matter"
    Whenever I encounter a WWII vet I whip a sharp salute. Those guys saved the world, literally. Ever read about Hitler's long range plans to take over America?
    I watched a 37 year old contestant on "Hell's Kitchen" last week who said (and I quote him) "No surrender....just like when the GERMANS bombed Pearl Harbor: No surrender". What a moron!

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    12,214
    No I never read that plan of Hitler's. Never read Mein Kampf or anything he wrote.

    I agree DGM, they were The Greatest Generation.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    70
    While watching AHC a WWII vet was an Army major guarding German POWs at the end of the war. He recounted how a German officer approached him and inquired where he was from in perfect English. When the major responded "Bridgeport CT" the kraut lit up. "What a coincidence! I was going to govern that area when we took over the US!" The German then amazed the American major with his precise knowledge of everything he knew about the area.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    12,214
    Quote Originally Posted by DGM View Post
    While watching AHC a WWII vet was an Army major guarding German POWs at the end of the war. He recounted how a German officer approached him and inquired where he was from in perfect English. When the major responded "Bridgeport CT" the kraut lit up. "What a coincidence! I was going to govern that area when we took over the US!" The German then amazed the American major with his precise knowledge of everything he knew about the area.
    Wow.... that's chilling!

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    12,214
    duplicate

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Posts
    7,370
    My father was a medic on a LST during WWII. He once told me the story of how he performed an appendectomy with instructions being yelled at him over the radio by a doctor on another ship. He came back and started going to school to be a pharmacist but had to drop out when the babies started coming.

    The Spousal Equivalent's father was also a Navy medic assigned to the Marines. He celebrated his 20th birthday patching up Marines at Iwo Jima. He stayed in and did 24 years in the Navy.

    After my father died, my mother eventually met a wonderful gentleman who was a fighter pilot in WWII and retired from the Air Force. He was shot down over Greece and smuggled by the partisans across the country and put on a boat to cross the Mediterranean to Africa where he was united with Allied troops. He had some GREAT stories. When he was shot down, he had two rolls of fresh film in his pocket. One of the other allied military man being smuggled out was a French pilot who had a camera, but no film. In trade for one of the rolls, he was allowed to use the camera to shoot his pictures and some pictures they were! Mom and he had seven good years together before he passed away.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. A Time In Life Never To Be Forgotten!
    By RogerNVA in forum Days Gone By
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2017, 10:16 PM
  2. Another tale of a forgotten village..
    By Capt Lightning in forum Diaries
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2016, 12:28 AM
  3. Tales from forgotten villages.
    By Capt Lightning in forum Diaries
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-22-2016, 12:01 PM
  4. Old Forgotten Shed Opened After 66 Years
    By SeaBreeze in forum Days Gone By
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2015, 04:55 PM
  5. Reinventing the Fastest Forgotten Archery
    By SeaBreeze in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum