Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Have we forgotten WWII?

Dreams are what scare me knowing how I dream. I never went to Viet Nam but I am guessing had I seen action there I may have had trouble in life because of dreams. It is disturbing to watch WWII vets in their very late years in their lives still weeping when they discuss their experiences.

I live close to the War Birds museum. They have a B-25 Mitchell there and on one visit, I noticed a change in 'mood' by the hosts/guides. An older gentleman was near the Mitchell. The Mitchell was his plane from WWII . He was 92 [then] used a cane, and guided by his daughter, but Hey!...looked pretty good for his age IMO.

The host that i was talking with said that he [the Vet] liked to come out & visit "his girl" ......The folks at the museum always gave him a little 'alone' time with her.

My Dad was a Purple Heart veteran of WWII. His life after the war was difficult because he went into the military healthy at the age of 18 and was honorably discharged at 23 with a life-altering handicap. He died at the age of 51. I have the flag that draped his coffin in a display case folded in the military triangle in my house. It's in my living room so any one who enters will see it. I'll always remember WWI and I'll never forget my Dad. #lovehim

Quote Originally Posted by Leann View Post
    My Dad was a Purple Heart veteran of WWII. His life after the war was difficult because he went into the military healthy at the age of 18 and was honorably discharged at 23 with a life-altering handicap. He died at the age of 51. I have the flag that draped his coffin in a display case folded in the military triangle in my house. It's in my living room so any one who enters will see it. I'll always remember WWI and I'll never forget my Dad. #lovehim

Is it displayed in one of those glass triangle cases? I have my dads flag as well, been meaning to get one of those. I'm sure I can find one on-line . I'll look around.

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Is it displayed in one of those glass triangle cases? I have my dads flag as well, been meaning to get one of those. I'm sure I can find one on-line . I'll look around.
    My display case is in this video

https://www.facebook.com/john.mizell...058101/?type=3

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Yes, a triangle glass case with the insignia of the US Marines.

The generations behind us do forget, just as some of us have forgotten about WWI. It seems as history moves on, people tend to do the same. How many of us can explain what affects the Roman Empire had in Europe? Or, who can explain what brought about and then what transpired during the Great Depression?

My Dad was in WWII and was injured enough that he was sent home from France and given a desk job. The Army wanted to discharge him, but he fought it and was able to make a career in the Army. My dad had told me so many stories about the war that I could probably teach parts of the war. I do have some memorabilia items that dad passed on to me boxed away somewhere. I always intended to donate them to a Legion or VFW for display purposes.

I have great respect for those that served in WWII.
    "SEMPER FI"

I don't know what mad me think of this, but my WW2 veteran dad used to say

"mox-nix" Dos that sound familiar to anyone?

I just looked it up-An American spelling of the German expression "macht nichts" which means roughly, "it makes no difference."

Mary: "Do you want ice cream or pie for dessert?"

Joe: "Mox nix. Just surprise me."

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I don't know what mad me think of this, but my WW2 veteran dad used to say

"mox-nix" Dos that sound familiar to anyone?

I just looked it up-An American spelling of the German expression "macht nichts" which means roughly, "it makes no difference."

Mary: "Do you want ice cream or pie for dessert?"

Joe: "Mox nix. Just surprise me."
    I served in Germany in the 70s. Used "mox nix" a lot. "No biggy" or "it doesn't matter"
    Whenever I encounter a WWII vet I whip a sharp salute. Those guys saved the world, literally. Ever read about Hitler's long range plans to take over America?
    I watched a 37 year old contestant on "Hell's Kitchen" last week who said (and I quote him) "No surrender....just like when the GERMANS bombed Pearl Harbor: No surrender". What a moron!

No I never read that plan of Hitler's. Never read Mein Kampf or anything he wrote.

I agree DGM, they were The Greatest Generation.

While watching AHC a WWII vet was an Army major guarding German POWs at the end of the war. He recounted how a German officer approached him and inquired where he was from in perfect English. When the major responded "Bridgeport CT" the kraut lit up. "What a coincidence! I was going to govern that area when we took over the US!" The German then amazed the American major with his precise knowledge of everything he knew about the area.

Quote Originally Posted by DGM View Post
    While watching AHC a WWII vet was an Army major guarding German POWs at the end of the war. He recounted how a German officer approached him and inquired where he was from in perfect English. When the major responded "Bridgeport CT" the kraut lit up. "What a coincidence! I was going to govern that area when we took over the US!" The German then amazed the American major with his precise knowledge of everything he knew about the area.
    Wow.... that's chilling!

duplicate

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    My father was a medic on a LST during WWII. He once told me the story of how he performed an appendectomy with instructions being yelled at him over the radio by a doctor on another ship. He came back and started going to school to be a pharmacist but had to drop out when the babies started coming.

The Spousal Equivalent's father was also a Navy medic assigned to the Marines. He celebrated his 20th birthday patching up Marines at Iwo Jima. He stayed in and did 24 years in the Navy.

After my father died, my mother eventually met a wonderful gentleman who was a fighter pilot in WWII and retired from the Air Force. He was shot down over Greece and smuggled by the partisans across the country and put on a boat to cross the Mediterranean to Africa where he was united with Allied troops. He had some GREAT stories. When he was shot down, he had two rolls of fresh film in his pocket. One of the other allied military man being smuggled out was a French pilot who had a camera, but no film. In trade for one of the rolls, he was allowed to use the camera to shoot his pictures and some pictures they were! Mom and he had seven good years together before he passed away.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.