Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Have we forgotten WWII?

My dad enlisted in the navy after Pearl Harbor. He was in high school. He served on the aircraft carrier Ranger. Both my grandfathers served in WWI. All three emerged safe. Thank God. All three were just teenagers when war broke out. I'll never forget their war stories. It's something that is part of my family history.
    Boomer Senior

Forget WWII? Never!

I grew up with a picture my grandmother gave me. The picture of her in her Woman's Army Corp WWII uniform, in her living room, where a picture of my dad hung on her wall. The picture was of him in his WWII Air Airforce uniform. This picture hangs on my wall. Her husband served as well. Lots of relatives served during WWII and WWI. Lots died.

A picture of my mother's father in his WWI army uniform hangs next to a picture of my brother in his Army uniform-Vietnam Era. A picture of me in my WAC uniform-Vietnam era. It hangs next to a picture of my husband-Vietnam vet, combat marine. He worked in supply and tanks. One of the guys who walked behind the tank as it moved forward.

One of the guys who hitched a ride on the tank and got blown off when it got hit. Injured his back, recovered in HI, but not a scratch so no Purple Heart. But awarded the Navy Achievement Metal, two years after discharge, the highest non combat mental given in a combat zone. (As I understand it.).

My step father served with Patton, opened one of the first camps. Only thing he ever said. Mom's brother was at Pearl Harbor. I think it's mom's grandmother who got the civil war pension when her husband died. I can trace our family's service in every war we ever fought.

i would like to thank everyone for their service. Forget WWII veterans, not a chance!!

Interesting post Aneeda. My dad also served. His glider was shot down I think over France, I was told. He had shrapnel removed years later. I remember the brace he always had to wear.

My mother went to work in a factory and sold war bonds.

It was before I was born, but I'll never forget all the stories and facts I learned.

My father's name and comments from an interview he did post-war are in a book about the Nisei Japanese-Canadians who fought in WWII. My brother and I have all his Army records as well. I honour his memory and all veterans who died in all wars.

I look forward to the day when there are no more wars in the world, but am probably naive in that thought.
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
    - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

RadishRose,

Thanks.

Your mother served as well, working in a factory, selling war bonds-that is service. Staying the course while waiting for a loved one to return or not. It's all service to a country at war.

Pinky,

I think there will always be wars, but in today's age, IMO, there no longer have to be boots on the ground. There has got to be a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aneeda72 View Post
    RadishRose,

Thanks.

Your mother served as well, working in a factory, selling war bonds-that is service. Staying the course while waiting for a loved one to return or not. It's all service to a country at war.
    Pinky,

I think there will always be wars, but in today's age, IMO, there no longer have to be boots on the ground. There has got to be a better way.
    What a nice thing to say about the wives who supported the war effort as well! Thanks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.