Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

If you were in the service, do you consider yourself a "Vet"?

Quote Originally Posted by tnthomas View Post
    Yea, I was left handed(still am!) and had hot shells grazing my right cheek.

I got the sharpshooter's badge, missed Expert by 4 points, too bad, was dealing with a bad head & chest cold.

That head & chest cold got flushed out good by the visit to the gas warfare range, and the gas chamber.

CS gas is a great remedy for head & chest colds, they should bottle some up and sell it at CVS Pharmacy.
    At Fort Knox as MP in 1974. Basic trainee while firing M-16 left handed from firing pit on "automatic" had a hot casing go down his neck. He jerked up and around and hit a drill sergeant seven times. Drill sergeant had two tours in Nam as a grunt and got taken out by a basic trainee. Very sad.

When I am made KING everyone will serve two years. Everyone! No more "Fortunate Son" (Donald Trump being excellent example). And if you refuse to carry a weapon you will do two years of public service.
    I don't expect to be made King anytime soon.

I note that the french are seriously considering national conscription for a period of no less than 2 years. Personally I think this is a good idea - gets the young off the streets and given some solid training; skill development and for some maketh the man! there's nothing wrong with conscription IMO

Quote Originally Posted by DGM View Post
    At Fort Knox as MP in 1974. Basic trainee while firing M-16 left handed from firing pit on "automatic" had a hot casing go down his neck. He jerked up and around and hit a drill sergeant seven times. Drill sergeant had two tours in Nam as a grunt and got taken out by a basic trainee. Very sad.
    Please enlighten me. What is a 'grunt'. According to the English/Oxford dictionary it is ,Quote. 'A low short gruff noise' 'A variety of tropical fish'

I enlisted for three years (1970-1973) in the Navy. According to my DD 214 and honorable discharge papers, I am a veteran. I had a discussion about this recently when someone was bragging he was a Vietnam veteran and his time was spent aboard an aircraft carrier in the Atlantic or on the base in Florida. I told him he was a Vietnam era veteran but not a Vietnam veteran unless he actually served in that country. I always felt that one shouldn't say Korean war veteran, WW2 veteran etc. unless they actually served in combat otherwise it should just be Army veteran (or whatever branch of service) because time was served while a war was going on. I consider myself a Navy veteran. That's just my opinion though. I am still in touch with high school classmates who continue to suffer the ill effects of serving in Nam-something I never had to experience so out of respect for them, they are the Vietnam veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by justfred View Post
    Please enlighten me. What is a 'grunt'. According to the English/Oxford dictionary it is ,Quote. 'A low short gruff noise' 'A variety of tropical fish'
    I served with some Marines who were referred to as grunts. As far as I could tell it was the lowest people in the unit, infantryman, someone who did all the "grunt" work in the dirt and mud.

And that is why grunts hate POGs. The term grunt used to refer to just Infantry and later to combat arms soldiers in the Army. A POG (Person Other than Grunt) is everyone else.
    I personally never heard the term "POGS". We always called them "rear echelon commandos".
    I saw an interesting show on AHC a few months ago. It explained how in WW2 there were so many more support troops than there were actual combatants. Very enlightening.

Yes, I am a Veteran (U.S. Army, 1970 - 1978).
    "What is a Veteran? Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations defines a veteran as a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable. This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged." (https://va.org/what-is-a-veteran-the-legal-definition/). Don...

I'm a vet. 1968-1975 Army. 68-70 tour in Vietnam 199th Infantry. No regrets... well, maybe one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a grunt in Vietnam. We never knew why we were called that, we just loaded our gear and did what we were ordered to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was a Navy man, but I always believed that "grunt" and "dogface" meant the same, ie an infantryman.

We must also remember the men of Britain,s RAF Bomber Command. Of 125,000 men 55,573 lost their lives, 8,403 were wounded and 9,838 were taken as POWs These brave men also did their bit towards 'saving the world'
    Absolutely positively I agree with you Sir

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.