Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Shooting in Vegas

The mix of laws from state to state doesn't help. This reference does a decent job of explaining why IMO a set of laws developed by the federal government should be the law of the land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...tates_by_state

But as we all know, laws are only as good as the people that obey them. Is it realistic to think it's possible to solve the why of a person deciding to kill one or many?

To Warrigal's post about the border.

The idea is nice but when millions of illegals have entered & drugs & guns are brought across our border daily I don't have much faith in border security stopping anything

Quote Originally Posted by Warrigal View Post
    I know that this information will not meet the US 2nd Amendment test but I'm posting it anyway for everyone's information. In Australia's case, a lot of control begins at the border but in US it would have to begin with the manufacturers.

The following is part of the National Firearms Agreement 2017 between the Australian Government and the states.

Category C includes semi automatics and pump action long guns.

The full agreement is here: https://www.ag.gov.au/LegalSystem/Fi...-agreement.pdf
    You're on an island. Granted, it's a huge one, but it is an island.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSacto View Post
    You're on an island. Granted, it's a huge one, but it is an island.
    But if you're referring to border control, I though Oz had porous borders the same as we do ...
    My Blog - SifuPhil.com

It is easier when your nation is an island, with no land borders.

Our customs people do a pretty good job and the police follow up. The principal importers of illegal firearms have been the bikers and we have laws that ban rogue clubs. They have been raided and contraband has been confiscated - drugs and firearms mostly.
    We must always take sides.
    Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.

This is doing the rounds on Facebook over here - from a non American point of view well worth a watch.

Is this Philip Van Cleave a "typical" American? Heaven help you, no wonder you can't have any control!

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemoc...6743230752057/
    Last edited by Cap'n Mike; 10-12-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Mike View Post
    This is doing the rounds on Facebook over here - from a non American point of view well worth a watch.

Is this Philip Van Cleave a "typical" American? Heaven help you, no wonder you can't have any control!

I don't think Philip Van Cleave could be considered a "typical" representative of an American. All you have to do is read the posts here to understand that pro gun control is preferred is to read the posts. It's the laws that are so varied that enforcing them from state to state can be difficult.

Read Warrigals post # 229 then consider America has 2 land [border] accesses and multiple port access to monitor. If Australia still has problems with gangs try to imagine the gang activity in America. Instead of that this should help.

Some 33,000 violent street gangs, motorcycle gangs, and prison gangs with about 1.4 million members are criminally active in the U.S. and Puerto Rico today. Many are sophisticated and well organized; all use violence to control neighborhoods and boost their illegal money-making activities, which include robbery, drug and gun trafficking, prostitution and human trafficking, and fraud. Many gang members continue to commit crimes even after being sent to jail.
    https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/violent-crime/gangs

Laws are only as good as the people that obey them. Where it gets sticky is when a non gang person decides to kill like the man did in Las Vegas.

There should be a distinction between gun laws & gun control.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.1ed3d88ce189

I favor gun control then uniform gun laws. Reduction in death to an innocent person whether one or 100 might eventually be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jane View Post

I own a handgun and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I also have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
    Meant to ask when you posted this, so do you actually carry this gun around with you, all the time?

Meant to ask when you posted this, so do you actually carry this gun around with you, all the time?
    Not 100% of the time, but I often carry it. I'm a walker, and most of the time it's safe but sometimes it simply isn't. I got my permit when I worked nights in a building that was deserted at night and I had to go outside to get in my car.

I was in a Walmart a few years ago when a female employee was about to be murdered by her boyfriend when a customer pulled out his gun and killed the creep. There's a culture here of violence against women, and the perpetrators are almost never punished to the degree one would expect.

The Mexican cartels have discovered they can make some extra pocket money by kidnapping people in the U.S. and holding them for ransom. Women who are walking or running are easy prey.

It's probably difficult for anyone who doesn't live around here to comprehend the random, almost casual violence we've come to expect.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/o...-violence.html

VERY SCAREY SM! Thank goodness I don't live there, I'd never go out with my camera as I spend hours wandering the river bank and hills around here. My wife does likewise, on her own, without a care in the world.

It has gotten much worse in the past few years. It never used to be this bad. I blame a lot of it on meth, a drug that totally dehumanizes its users.

A recent Home Office survey of drug use in England and Wales estimated that in the last year, just over two million people used cannabis, three quarters of a million people used cocaine, half a million people used ecstasy, whereas only 25,000 used methamphetamine so it's not a huge problem here, yet!
    I don't think "Breaking bad" has helped as it introduced tens of thousands of people to it who otherwise would have no idea it existed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jane View Post

I own a handgun and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I also have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. I've won trophies for marksmanship so I'm not concerned about hitting my target. I'm not suicidal, my gun has a good trigger guard and there are no children in or around my home. I've been shot and I don't want to recreate that experience.
    I apparently missed this post before. I'm wondering what you carry as well as what method you use: holster, purse, something else? Lots of folks like to get new ideas.

I love the fact that women are the fastest growing group of gun buyers. Years ago, the only woman whom I normally saw at gun shows was my late wife and, of course, the wives of dealers. My wife was knowledgeable about the subject: something that surprised many men at the time. Today, there are many women who know guns. We need to see more.

By "control", I'm taking for granted you are referring specifically to guns. I watched as much of that video as I could stand. I've never heard of Phillip Van Cleave, but he did at least try to point out that our constitution states that our right to bear arms, to own guns/weapons, can not be infringed. I think what a lot of people forget is that both our constitution and our bill of rights tell our government what can and cannot be done, not the other way around. Therefore, when elected officials and law-enforcement agencies and departments take an oath to uphold and protect these documents, they are promising to not only obey the list of rules, if you will, that we set down for them, they also promise to kill any bill or proposals that would infringe on the rights that we set forth.

It's a shame that Van Cleave didn't immediately explain this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Horn View Post
    I apparently missed this post before. I'm wondering what you carry as well as what method you use: holster, purse, something else? Lots of folks like to get new ideas.

I love the fact that women are the fastest growing group of gun buyers. Years ago, the only woman whom I normally saw at gun shows was my late wife and, of course, the wives of dealers. My wife was knowledgeable about the subject: something that surprised many men at the time. Today, there are many women who know guns. We need to see more.
    I currently have a Ruger LC9, one of a class of handguns called pocket pistols. I wear it in a belly band holster so it's on my person and quite comfortable except in the hottest part of summer (I'm in New Mexico). During the summer I wear a tank top with the belly band over it and a looser shirt over that. I'm shopping for a belly band that isn't black and that's more comfortable against my skin.

I grew up hunting with my older brother and his friends from an early age and in high school I began shooting competitively. I've always been comfortable with guns. One of my friends is a gun dealer who sells at gun shows. He's very helpful, kind of my gun maven. If he doesn't know, he steers me to someone who does.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Horn View Post
    I love the fact that women are the fastest growing group of gun buyers.
    REALLY? Next it'll be everybody over the age of 10 And so it propagates! The more the merrier.
    Sorry, I just cannot get my mind round this obsession, almost pride that you are all prepared to kill someone.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.