Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Why Do You Have A Brick & Mortar Bank?

Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    The last time I was at the bank it was to bring a deposit from work. There were young women and men that stood and acted like customer service supervisors greeting, making sure you knew the next teller would help you asap, etc.

Is THIS that social interaction you can do without Lon
    It was slightly annoying and unnecessary.
    But Aunt Bea, if they served Danish and coffee that would be a different story!
    S
    When I go to the Bank of America they have the manager or assistant manager stand in the lobby and greet customers when they have nothing to do, it makes me crazy!!! They always ask if they can help and so far all they have been able to do is put on a frowny face and point to the line of customers waiting for a teller. I would much rather see them behind the teller line waiting on a customer!

As for the Danish and coffee, I never eat lobby food, supermarket samples, etc... the very idea of it skeeves me out LOL!!!

I like brick and mortar banks because I have no idea where the 100% online banks are, and who is running them. I see no reason why one couldn't fold, overnight, and abscond with my money, leaving me without recourse, as that pertains to actually knowing who took my cash! Yes, I know about FDIC, and such, but I still want any bank that holds my money to have a material presence in my town. That being said, I do 95% of my banking online, BUT with banks that are brick and mortar in my town.

I worry about none of the combinations, online, ATM or in the bank. All personal choices and a little common sense regarding ATM's away from the bank and the time of day when you use them. I've never had a problem with any of the choices. As far as ATM's go, the credit union that I belong to has a veteran's ATM system as long as you have a minimum of $500 dollars in an account. All fees reimbursed as soon as withdrawal shows up in your account. It's been handy when out of state for long periods when I find ATM's my preferred way of drawing money.

I do like knowing the employees and manager of my local branch. If and when I had a problem, I would feel more comfortable talking with a familiar person and not a complete stranger.

I never go to my bank and I do not bank on line.
    We are either growing or dying.

Convenience. We usually use ATMs and our bank has one of the two biggest distribution networks of ATMs in our state. We don't pay for the account, don't pay any fees except for renting a small safety deposit box. Debit card disputed charges are covered 100% by most large banks.

We use charge cards for the points acquired.

Here, many of the banks have closed a lot of locations because nobody much goes in them anymore. It's just so much easier, and I believe safer, to do the online thing. Besides which, I hate waiting in line at the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Here, many of the banks have closed a lot of locations because nobody much goes in them anymore. It's just so much easier, and I believe safer, to do the online thing. Besides which, I hate waiting in line at the bank.
    Banks in this area are closing and starting to be replaced by little drive up ATM islands in parking lots. Many of the remaining banks appear to be reducing teller staff and allowing customers to wait in line. IMO it is an effort to reduce lobby traffic and nudge customers towards online banking. It won't be long before bank tellers go the way of the milkman, elevator operator, gas station attendant and the dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    I never go to my bank and I do not bank on line.
    Is this a riddle? You never go to your bank, and you never bank online, ergo you have no bank account?

I have a three "brick and mortar" financial institutions, all within walking distance. One is a credit union and at the time I opened the account, online banks weren't yet popular and I liked the terms as compared with the banks, so that's where my checking account for which I have checks is. The other bank is one I've had direct deposit with for decades and I do not have to pay fees. That is my "main" checking account; I have no checks for that one and only use online bill pay, which is very convenient. I also had a safe deposit box at one of their branches but recently moved it to another bank which is even closer than the other institutions, as it is only two blocks from the house. I moved it because the fee is about half that of the original bank which has been upping their safe deposit box fees for the last few years.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Yes, but I still do most of my stuff on line. It's nice to be able to go in and sit down with someone when needed. I also have a safety deposit box at the bank; it's hard to have one on-line...
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    Yes, but I still do most of my stuff on line. It's nice to be able to go in and sit down with someone when needed. I also have a safety deposit box at the bank; it's hard to have one on-line...
    I agree with you JuJube. The branch I had my SD box at has a representative who has been so helpful to us on a few occasions. She knows us, is always glad to see us and the service she has provided is just not available with online banks.

we learned the importance of local banks . once when 9/11 hit and the 2nd time when sandy hit and all atm's were down . the 3rd time was when an account had an attempted hack and was shut sown and locked for 10 days while all new checks ,accounts and debit cards were established . we paid all bills through that account so having local banks to get money was important

'Stuck inside the Midwest with the LA blues again'
    Actually, I don't. The two local branches closed recently, and I only went to one once because I needed to deposit a check. Have had online account with them for around 7 years.

This has been a really enlightening discussion. I read all the way through with interest as we are preparing to move and make lots of changes. It is evident that I need to ditch the oversized 1993 IBM Aptiva where I keep my check registers and am not sure what I will do in future. I have always favored using cash for purchases since I have my "allowance" and know what my limits are. We don't have debit cards - it doesn't seem as "real" to just keep swiping plastic and I guess I feel we have more control over the cash in our wallets. I agree with TreeGuy64 that the online banks don't appear to be as trustworthy but - we have seen brick-n-mortar ones go under along the way too yet, TV dramas show systems being hacked all the time! Having grown up before all this technology, I am still a little leery. When the power goes out I still have my paper copies - just in case.

Now, moving to a new area and not having a separate computer to balance my checkbooks puts us in a position to change. We have a central account at Navy FCU (with telephone & mail access) but usually open a local account to have local checks. Might have to embrace the online system but it is hard to change :-) My sister had an online bill paying setup and when she made an error in paying the cable company one time ($2400 instead of $24.00) it took MONTHS to get it back - in the meantime they kept trying to take the $$ out of her account and charging her overdraft fees EVERY day! That makes me a little gun shy over online payments. Soooo - lots to think about! Keep that info coming.

I do have a bank nearby, but rarely go in..all my bills are paid by auto pay, I probably do not write more that 5 checks per month and I get what cash I need from my banks ATM that does not charge a fee.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.