You Need To Exercise Even If It Hurts,

You Need To Exercise Even If It Hurts,

Those of us with Rheumatoid Arthritis will under stand the Title. We tend to spend many of our days and evenings in some form of pain & discomfort and different drugs will not cure it. Just hopefully diminish some of the symptoms.It actually hurt for me to make my bed and wash the linen this morning but it is a form of exercise that is necessary with this disease. Taking my Walker to check for mail is another form form. For a guy like me that ran 100 miles per week all during his 40's, played lot's of Raquet Ball, walked lots of golf courses and many scuba dives this can be a bitter pill to swallow, but then it hits me just how fortuante I really am compared to so many.

I'm glad you're keeping moving and flexible Lon, I know it must be hard after being so active for so many years, I remember your photo when you were bungee jumping, I think you were in your 60s. There are some natural supplements/spices that can help the pain of RA, of course with approval from your doctor if you have any interest. Here's an old thread I posted about Turmeric (Curcumin) http://www.seniorforums.com/showthread.php/225-Curcumin-for-Rheumatoid-Arthritis?highlight=rheumatoid+arthritis

You can click on CC in the videos for closed captioning.

Keep moving Lon, although you are suffering some pain. To stop is to seize up... Good luck with some natural pain relief
    Think positive - you know it makes sense......

I think that exercise and diet have a lot more to do with arthritis and joint pain than we give it credit for. Most of the food that we include in our diets that are sugars and starches are inflammatory foods, and inflammation is one of the things that accompanies/causes pain.
    I know that I can feel the difference right away when I have indulged in apple pie, or some other dessert, and my knees and ankles will swell up and not move very well.
    I had a pulmonary embolism a couple of years ago, and because of that, I can’t have a knee replacement; so my doctor said that exercises were the best thing that I could do to help my knee. He gave me one of those cortisone shots that helped with pain for a while, and then I started doing exercises to help my knees while the cortisone was helping to stop the pain.
    Since I was also having serious a-fib and heart failure back then, regular exercise was really hard for me, and I started swimming and doing the knee exercises at the fitness center pool.
    By the time that the cortisone shot wore off, my knees were much more mobile. I still do the exercises for my knees, and I can now bend the bad one a lot better than originally it would bend.
    As long as I stay on the low carb diet, and do my exercises, I do not have a lot of arthritis pain most days, although weather changes can also affect the arthritis, and it is worse in cold, damp weather.
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

I fully agree with the idea of exercise being helpful if a person has arthritis issues. I have some in my left hip, and staying active is certainly a help. I take a daily glucosamine/MSM pill, and that helps...but moving around, and going outdoors to do a bunch of chores helps keep me from having much pain. If I lay around in the recliner for more than a couple of hours, I can feel the hip starting to talk to me, and sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night, and I have to get up and walk around for a couple of minutes. This is just one of the joys of getting older, I guess, but exercise is certainly a better option than having to go through surgery, etc.....IMO.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Staying active can be challenging with limited mobility or health problems. Glad to read you still perform exercises even with such pain. Luckily, there are many exercises/activities you can still do. Even walking for a few minutes can keep you healthy and fit. You can raise your arms or legs slowly or do “bed exercises”. Some simple Yoga poses can deliver benefits like balance, flexibility, and strength even if you are not able to do intense workouts. Meditation can also help you achieve calmness.

Good post Lon! Keep up the good work. I'm only 79 and ride an exercise bike every night for a half hour while I watch the news, it helps my osteoarthritis and lowers my blood sugar. But my A1C numbers are climbing again so I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a Nordic Track Elliptical machine and spend an hour a day on it. I think it's a more complete regime and I hope it will help.
    I am a nutritional overachiever.

I'm not being facetious. How does alcohol fit into the picture? Does it help?

One doctor told me alcohol is the best medicine in the world if handled properly.

Im lucky. Still active and mobile in my 80's. Ride a bike every day. Two beer a day maximum.

Playing a lot of sports while young. I think you pay the price for it later.

I know a lot of hockey players who have joint problems especially in the knees and hips.

Contact sports? Not a good way to go .

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.