Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Am I the only Brit?

Quote Originally Posted by justfred View Post
    I have been to Amberley and found it very interesting. Aircraft museums are also on my list. I used to travel all over the country to airshows but now age has put a stop to that. I watch them on Youtube now. I do not live too far from the Bovington Tank Museum and have visited several time. Being an ex tankie I get free admission. Steam trains are also one of my favorites and although I have never been to York I spend a lot of time watching on Youtube. One thing perhaps our American friends can explain Why do the American trains have to continually blow their horns so often and for so long a time.
    Blowing horns for grades crossings, &c. is regulated legally both in time and length. Steam whistles are something different. We just like the sound. I was on a steam excursion once when there was so much whistle blowing that the locomotive had to stop because of a loss of steam pressure.

I'm curious about something. When you were in a tank, did you carry an Enfield Mark I or Mark I*? I love that gun in either iteration although I much prefer to have both double and single action. The Webley in .38 is smoother and prettier, however. I have all three; I'm very fortunate to have an unconverted (likely reconverted) Enfield Mark I. They aren't common here.

Greetings, Fred. I am not a Brit, but I see lots of members from the UK and former British colonies. (Well, I guess that includes me also!) Come on down to the Games topic, lots of them like to hang out there.

We as tank crew we issued with .380 Enfield revolvers (A useless weapon)
    The Lee Enfield .303. rifle was of the same type used by infantry during WW1. As you may know it was developed in 1895 and in 1902 was designated as a standard weapon. At that time it was rated the best rifle in the world and was used during the whole of WW1 and WW2. particularly as it had a 10 round magazine Slight modifications were made the 1930s. Later during WW2 it proved to be a very good sniper weapon.

Ah yes, the good old Lee Enfield .303. Somewhat heavy, but with practice and fine tuning very accurate, but most important just about 100% reliable, nothing to go wrong.
    As a marksman when in the RN I spent many happy hours at Bisley doing competition shooting, out to 1000 yards usually. Had "my own" .303 there and very occasionally was allowed to transport it to another site to take part in competition, never with amo.
    Quite agree with you on the 38! Couldn't hit a tree if you were hiding behind it!!!

puska-opakovaci-rof-fazakerley-lee-enfield-no-4-mk-2-303-british.jpg

I have an Enfield No. 4 Mark I. I've owned it for years, but I haven't shot it much. I'm far more of a handgun fancier.

My experience with the Enfield and similar Webley revolver is far different from either of yours. While not match grade, I consider them to be fine shooters up to 50 yards. I cast my own bullets; my mold drops a bullet cast of wheelweights with 3% tin alloyed of 196.3 grains. My revolvers are all early so the sights are regulated for the 200 grain bullet.

The British .380, what we call the .38 Smith & Wesson, has been around for a long time. S&W originally chambered them for pocket revolvers, but they developed their Super Police load in the twenties which is identical to your .380-200. I don't know who copied whom.

I like the cartridge. It's accurate; recoil is moderate, positively light with 146 grain bullets. S&W made occasional runs of their I-frame (small frame) Regulation Police revolver with target sights in both .32 and .38. I'd love to find one or more of those. The I-frame is too short for the .38 special cartridge so it's chambered in the .38 S&W.

I have the Enfield "Commando" model as well. It's an extremely handy gun although rather large and heavy for concealed carry. Surplus guns and surplus everything else was so cheap in the fifties and sixties that even someone earning low wages could buy one or two new ones every week.

I've linked to a rather interesting article as well as a video. The man who created the video is British, but he lives in Switzerland. He is very much a fan of the Enfield rifle so he has videos on that as well.

http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/ENFIELD%2...ELD%20SNUB.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfLMFbmrGg0

My forbears left England in 1634.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.