Metabolism Explained

Metabolism Explained

https://www.dietbitz.com/diet-and-metabolism

I thought I knew these things but this seems to be a very easy to understand article about how metabolism works. I learned some things and thought I would share.
    There are seven pages.

Before my 'snowbird' journey commenced I needed to have a CBC & consultation with my PCP. For the most part my CBC was completely normal. My HGB was borderline low. Age, diabetes & previous health issues all factored in, my B-12 was below the expected range. I eat 3 eggs every day along with a serving of red meat every other night. B-12 still low, my cholesterol/trig levels are acceptable even with all the warnings about too much 'bad' foods. My weight & BP are normal (24.2 BMI-115/62). Everything except the HGB & B-12 were good.

While sitting waiting for my consultation I had occasion to read a chart they had posted about the new recommendations for healthy diet. Starches were the focus, especially good starches, things like beans, fruits & vegetables high in starches & complex carbs, whole grains & meat protein in moderation for health. The chart indicated that now the thinking is that maybe the push for more fruits & veggies is somewhat misguided. What is now being pushed is starchy vegetables & fruits. The celeries, lettuce, greens, sugary fruits are good but have limited vitamins & don't keep you satisfied. You should be eating more things like oatmeal, popcorn (not microwave), beans, sweet potatoes,,,etc. You stay fuller longer, your liver knows what to do with those carbs & you have an easier time staying normal weight.

For the last 2 1/2 years I have been eating complex carbs, the greens play havoc on my digestion, so I avoid them & I no longer eat any breads, pasta or processed foods, alcohol or fruity drinks & sodas. I discussed this along with my concern for my B-12 with my PCP. He then informed me that there is & has been a lot of study & tests (since 1969, 1st connection) that the drug 'Metformin' given to diabetics & pre-diabetics (I take 1000mg daily) may be causing a depletion of B-12. He then ordered along with my CBC, a B-12 test. I had been taking a multi-vitamin but your body as it gets older has a hard time absorbing B-12. They had injections but he wanted me to try the fast acting soluble type that dissolve under your tongue B-12 tablets along with my multi-vitamin first.

I'll see if his advice & my self-diagnosis is on track in April '18. Yes, I'm breaking my resolve to quit obsessing about social connections to post this.

Re: increasing B-12, a couple years ago I used the sublingual B-12 tablets, first thing in morning 1/2 hr. before eating.

I don't remember How long I followed this dosing, perhaps 3 or 4 months, but I can say that it was effective, my labs later confirming that.
    Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.